Closed Thread
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I think this was requested by some investors who does not want to invest and help Jolla make devices but only invest to get a better OS.
So (probably only) Jolla will fund the device company when there is a need/will/demand/possibility for a new device.

I am pretty sure that the device company has to survive, otherwise it send a weird signal for the OS but it is also probably a challenge. And so apparently they accept the challenge

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Let's assume that Jolla hardware division first partners with "Nokia" for the creating Sailfish hardware
We will finally have a "Nokia" branded device running Sailfish and it will be 2010 again :-P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Let's assume that Jolla hardware division first partners with "Nokia" for the creating Sailfish hardware
We will finally have a "Nokia" branded device running Sailfish and it will be 2010 again :-P
Or even worse.
Rumors are that M$ is letting Windows Phone go down the ditch. Perhaps its not Nokia, but M$ that will be the new branding device.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Either this or they make a more niche approach (read: more expensive device), which I'd happily buy if it's as well integrated as the first Jolla, and hopefully even better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Guys - Jolla as a device company is finished. They have clearly stated that they don't have the resources to focus on the OS and hardware. Just because the company is splitting, that doesn't magic up the resources that are needed for the company to work on both. As Mosen just said, the splitting is likely to be to make the Sailfish OS part (which seems to be sought after) more palatable to investors. The corollary to that of course is that the hardware part (which no one has an interest in) will go into wind-down mode as the money/demand simply does not exist to keep it going.

If we ever see another Sailfish device, it will be wholly manufactured/designed by a Chinese/Indian/Russian third-party.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Guys - Jolla as a device company is finished. They have clearly stated that they don't have the resources to focus on the OS and hardware. Just because the company is splitting, that doesn't magic up the resources that are needed for the company to work on both. As Mosen just said, the splitting is likely to be to make the Sailfish OS part (which seems to be sought after) more palatable to investors. The corollary to that of course is that the hardware part (which no one has an interest in) will go into wind-down mode as the money/demand simply does not exist to keep it going.

If we ever see another Sailfish device, it will be wholly manufactured/designed by a Chinese/Indian/Russian third-party.
Well, that would answer a whole lot of questions already asked in one punch.
You supported us, we dont care about what you do once your beta-device dies.
That, my mate, is a najor roadstopper (for me!)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I don't see the problem?

The Jolla phone will get supported with updates for quite some time yet, the company will do repairs and guarantee warranties. At some point of course, the company will have to stop support and move focus to the new device. If we got Sailfish updates for 3 years, I would be more than happy with that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I fully support this sentiment.

The reason for me to do so is that I don't understand what everybody is talking about saying Jolla can no longer fund hardware manufacturing... Haven't Jolla setup and finished a incredibly succesful crowdfunding campaign, reeling in more than $2,5M (which, supposedly, is 480% of the goal and according to Jolla themselves "the most funded Indiegogo campaign ever in Asia and Europe!")? So what seems to be the problem? Form a project team to pick hardware components, order/assemble them, done. Repeat process for future devices - I would surely support a Jolla 2 Phone crowdfunding campaign anyway.

Of course, please feel free to correct me if I'm missing something here, making my viewpoint too simplistic

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
You know, the funny thing is that this might actually improve support for the Jolla phone. Jolla has, of course, been focussed on software development from the start; that's what the company was set up for, and that's where the majority of their expertise lies.

A separate corporation focussed on hardware would have the ability to do things like, gasp, release an Android-based phone with a TOH-compatible backside; something that might make them a lot of money (at the cost of potentially annoying Jolla fans). The ability to sell Jolla-compatible hardware to telecoms that are skittish about novel operating systems would, I think, be a huge boost.

Jolla already has a long-term plan on how to make their software business profitable. If this new company can figure out how to make Jolla-compatible hardware profitable (whether or not it even contains Jolla software), this really will be a win-win decision.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread