Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I still have my N900, but last days I really want a phone with a good support for a new version of Skype. Nokia E72 would be great but, yeah symbian doesn't support Skype. Android have it but the UI is not my type. UI of windows phone also. iOS is a closed ecosystem I'm not into.
Sailfish OS and BB10 are good but:
1.Skype in BB really sucks as people say? (top camera doesn't respond in all BB devices? Lags? Battery drain?)
2.Skype notifications works when app is closed in Sailfish OS?
3.How much baterry eats Skype on Jolla Phone, how much on BB Q10?

Thanks if some people help

Posts: 140 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Andromeda Galaxy
Hi i would love to jump on this thread with you.. Because i need a new phone as well...

As far as the notifications go for skype on Jolla there are a few possibilities (with the last update 2.0) and i believe there is even a native app for jolla...

Guys I've been browsing TMO for the past couple of days.. And i,m reading a lot off bad news for Jolla (us) a lot rumors and speculations though but also some real concerns... Long story short which phone should i start saving for... please keep in mind i own the N900 the N9 and a Jolla... So i would never settle for a iOS or Android... i,m used to the opensource environment that these phones offer so i,m looking for something similar..
i personally like the idea of the puzzlephone (if SFOS is really running on it).... Sorry for the long Post But some Concrete Candidates Would be Awesome...

Thanks in Advance...

Kind Regards J.Neutron

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jimmy neutron View Post
As far as the notifications go for skype on Jolla there are a few possibilities (with the last update 2.0) and i believe there is even a native app for jolla...
No, there isn't. Only the Android one.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
No, there isn't. Only the Android one.
Don't know if it works:

https://openrepos.net/content/thaodan/skype-account

The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
I'm using Skype almost daily and when necessary on my Jolla, but there are some issues which I think cannot only be blamed on SFOS.

Since SFOS 2.0 Android apps are very well supported, incl. background processes if enabled (closed apps). Another VoIP app I'm using works perfectly: Calls pop-up, incl. vibration and notification, even when the app window is closed.

BUT Skype often seems to disconnect whenever the app is not open and fullscreen. Earlier versions of Skype didn't have this problem and worked without flaw - unfortunately Microsoft decided to not let you log-in to older Skype versions, so I cannot install an older, better version of it.

Then again a collegue of mine also complains how unreliable Skype works on his Windows Phone and I also experienced several times how calls didn't go throgh from my computer to an Android device.

As someone who already used Skype back in the days of classic mobile phones and JAVA apps, I simply had to accept that Microsoft ruined this service - the best client I've ever used for my calls was the MeeGo Harmattan one on the N9 (idk the N900 one), which even was a 3rd party creation. Good times.

So yeah... Skype works on Jolla, but it's not reliable and you'll probably miss calls.

There is a Skype-plugin on Openrepos which allows you to receive/send Skype messages via Sailfish messaging UI and actually works well (at least back when I tested it). But with all the missing features (esp. calls) it's no alternative.

So if you want to have a well working Skype experience (as well as Skype still works these days), you unfortunately need to get one of the mainstream devices .

Last edited by caprico; 2015-11-20 at 14:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Currently, there aren't too many good alternatives I know of. Unfortunately.

BB10 seems nice, but there's speculation that it might be killed off, too. If you don't rely so much on apps and Google services, it might still be a good option. I haven't used it extensively, so I can't comment on the Skype support. The Crackberry forums are very good for any questions related to BB.

As much as I don't like Android (I'm currently using one), my next daily-use phone will be the BlackBerry Priv.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by caprico View Post
There is a Skype-plugin on Openrepos which allows you to receive/send Skype messages via Sailfish messaging UI and actually works well (at least back when I tested it).
Thanks, I stand corrected. I had noticed Skype account in Openrepos but I mistook it for an address book plugin only. I am testing it as we speak, so far with no results. (That is, it appears to send messages but no one is replying They must be all at work )

But with all the missing features (esp. calls) it's no alternative.
I can live without Skype calls. Messaging is all I need. If I ever need (video) calls, I can move to my N900 or my PC.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@caprico
Thanks! What about battery when skype is minimalized/closed? Android phones don't have big problem with battery life when skype process is 24/7 working (in compare to killed process).

my jolla phone has been shipped today, so despite risks, still posible to buy

My n900 is dying (screen is getting broken and sometimes a part of it gets constatly pressed) and at the moment and despites risks i think jolla is the best option.