Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hmm, does this still download the flash elements before the element is clicked?

if so i think i will rather leave the flash plugin off as its simple to turn t on as needed...
The desktop version of Flashblock allows you to create a whitelist of sites where Flash is permitted - by default Flashblock will block flash and show a Flash placeholder allowing you to start the Flash animation manually (whereupon it will download the Flash resource) or add the site to your whitelist after which reloading the page will then automatically start the Flash animation as normal. Great for blocking annoying Flash adverts on news sites while at the same time having Flash active whenever you visit youtube.com!

However with this MicroB port of Flashblock I don't see a way to maintain the whitelist - it has no UI elements allowing additions to or removal from the whitelist... without an editable whitelist Flashblock for MicroB is a lot less useful than it is on the desktop.

And I too saw two Flash items on the page - first the placeholder followed by the real and active Flash object. I've uninstalled it for now.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
And I too saw two Flash items on the page - first the placeholder followed by the real and active Flash object. I've uninstalled it for now.
I only saw that behavior during the first couple of re-starts.

Once I re-started (the tablet and microB) more than twice - FB appeared to work properly. At least that is how it went for me with an n810 and the latest OS.

Anyone got any information on why the restarts are required (presumably only microB needs to be restarted, I did an OS restart as I was paranoid).

The Following User Says Thank You to clach04 For This Useful Post:
I downloaded and installed flashblock tonight and tried it for a while and then ended up uninstalling it. I think it's a great idea because some sites seem too flash heavy and seem to use up too much resources. It worked for me on youtube but caused my tablet to spontainiously reboot while I used Pandora. After the second reboot I ditched flashblocker. Hope the developers can fix this sort of thing.

Neil

I now regret doing this very short lived install described above because even though I have now deleted Flashblock my tablet now reboots for no reason . It is going into reboot cycles over and over again. It was not doing this before the Flashblocker install.

Last edited by sungrove; 2008-01-31 at 05:30.

Originally Posted by clach04 View Post
I only saw that behavior during the first couple of re-starts.

Once I re-started (the tablet and microB) more than twice - FB appeared to work properly. At least that is how it went for me with an n810 and the latest OS.

Anyone got any information on why the restarts are required (presumably only microB needs to be restarted, I did an OS restart as I was paranoid).
The restarts are required because there is something missing on MicroB components initialization. Firefox only needs one reboot to get the information that there is one new component to be installed, record the component data in the extensions.cache, extensions.rdf and extensions.ini files and start-up the component.
MicroB do this in two times.
The first reboot it get the information that there is one new component to be installed and record the component data and record that data in the files above. The difference is that it only start-up the components with a new reboot.
I think before port a new component we might fix this. Actually, there are some fixings and features missing on some ports we have done that we should do before any other port.

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I downloaded and installed flashblock tonight and tried it for a while and then ended up uninstalling it. I think it's a great idea because some sites seem too flash heavy and seem to use up too much resources. It worked for me on youtube but caused my tablet to spontainiously reboot while I used Pandora. After the second reboot I ditched flashblocker. Hope the developers can fix this sort of thing.

Neil

I now regret doing this very short lived install described above because even though I have now deleted Flashblock my tablet now reboots for no reason . It is going into reboot cycles over and over again. It was not doing this before the Flashblocker install.
Well, you are the first one to report this kind of problem, then I have to ask you if you are sure it is a Flashblock issue. Could you try to remove your MicroB profile and see if the reboots stop? Remember to make a backup of your profile instead of just delete it. And remove also your extensions using the application manager/apt-get. Remember to restart your MicroB twice after remove your extensions.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The desktop version of Flashblock allows you to create a whitelist of sites where Flash is permitted - by default Flashblock will block flash and show a Flash placeholder allowing you to start the Flash animation manually (whereupon it will download the Flash resource) or add the site to your whitelist after which reloading the page will then automatically start the Flash animation as normal. Great for blocking annoying Flash adverts on news sites while at the same time having Flash active whenever you visit youtube.com!

However with this MicroB port of Flashblock I don't see a way to maintain the whitelist - it has no UI elements allowing additions to or removal from the whitelist... without an editable whitelist Flashblock for MicroB is a lot less useful than it is on the desktop.

Hi Milhouse,

I'm so sad you did not enjoy our Flashblock port. I know you are the one who has asked for this extensions since we ported Greasemonkey. Do you want to help me designing such UI? I can do a simple HTML page containing the whitelist, but it is too simple...
Please, subscribe yourself in our mailing list.
About the Flash items duplication, it is a Firefox bug. I hope to have it fixed when using new MicroB versions.

Last edited by pedralho; 2008-01-31 at 13:35. Reason: Completing my answer

Originally Posted by pedralho View Post
Well, you are the first one to report this kind of problem, then I have to ask you if you are sure it is a Flashblock issue. Could you try to remove your MicroB profile and see if the reboots stop? Remember to make a backup of your profile instead of just delete it. And remove also your extensions using the application manager/apt-get. Remember to restart your MicroB twice after remove your extensions.
Sorry, I don't know how to do what you are asking me to do. Could you please give me more detailed directions on how to do it?
I will add that when I first flashed the OS 08 it used to do the rebooting thing. Both then and now after installing your software it only does it if it is charging.

Neil

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Sorry, I don't know how to do what you are asking me to do. Could you please give me more detailed directions on how to do it?
I will add that when I first flashed the OS 08 it used to do the rebooting thing. Both then and now after installing your software it only does it if it is charging.
Neil
Isn't it due to any other application (you mentioned Pandora)? Does it reboot with the browser closed (not-minimized, really closed)?

Originally Posted by pedralho View Post
Isn't it due to any other application (you mentioned Pandora)? Does it reboot with the browser closed (not-minimized, really closed)?
Well, it first did this reboot thing with Flashblock installed and I had just started Pandora and soon after that the tablet simply rebooted. I believe at the time it was charging. Just prior to that I had tried your program on youtube and it worked no problem. As I said, I had this problem about a month ago and then it went away. It just seems that Flashblock triggered it again because of the timing. I had not done anything else. And yes, now when it is charging and off the internet or on the net it reboots once in a while even though I have uninstalled Flashblock. I'm sorry I'm not very tech capable to do what you asked above, but with some help I'm willing to do it if you want. Just give me step by step instructions and I'll put in the time. It does seem plausable that this is just my tablet since noone else is experiencing this problem apparently.

thanks for responding,

Neil

I too have the same issue with flashblock (see two flash items, one blocked the other's not)

So has this issue been resolved?.....Is it concluded that this is a MicroB issue or flashblock issue?

Thanks in advance

*I rebooted (tablet and microb) 2-4 times

Tags
flashblock