Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Wow Push! I had no idea that you used to be a game developer!

What happened?

Thanks for the detailed list, you put in quite a bit of time writing all of that up.

I'll definitely check out all of your suggestions once I figure out how to get Rubybox back.

I was trying out KotCzarny's xvkbd keyboard just before my tablet puked on me and all of the same problems with his port still occurred under Dosbox like that with using ArnimS's version. So I'm not all too sure what's all going on there and why some games respond to a virtual keyboard and some don't.

Oh, and what's up with your bizarro game ratings?

6 out of 5? You know that's not possible right?

And 4.4 out of 5?

Dude, do you seriously have some type of ******ed gorilla math complex?

Thanks again man! Hope you can keep contributing to this thread!

This is great, I remember downloading demos of a lot of these games from bulletin boards at 2400 baud!

Wow, this makes me feel ....
OLD!

but other than that it's great to see that so many games can be played on the n8x0

Wow Pushwall, you are on fire. This got me thinking. If there are lots of freeware dos games out there, should we add a feature to rubybox that allows people to download and install these games?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Wow Pushwall, you are on fire. This got me thinking. If there are lots of freeware dos games out there, should we add a feature to rubybox that allows people to download and install these games?
Oh yes, another great idea yukki. Since most of these freeware games are relatively small downloads, it would make it so much easier to share and play these games. Besides having ported games, this would open up a large library of playable games for everyone.

Addison I wasn't a game developer though I was offered a job by a well-known company as a game producer. Rather I was a beta-tester who lucked into designing a bunch of levels for a couple of games. My good-paying day job strongly influenced my decision not to continue in the game industry.

Bizarro ratings? My ratings are based on how I feel at the time I'm playing the game. Too much coffee or alcohol can definitely affect my mood and the score. 4.4 just felt right at the time,...I think,...I don't remember,...must've been after a long night of televison or something. And yes, 6 out of 5 is possible if it's a perfect game. Seems lots of good games get that 5 out of 5 score. Only the top elite deserve the impossible 6 out of 5 score!

And what is up with those virtual keyboards? I remember someone making an observation in one of the threads that XKBD worked when a bluetooth keyboard was connected. Very strange. Hopefully someone will figure all this weirdness out.

Get that RubyBox working. I need more of your game suggestions!

Ok boys and girls, new RubyBox version is almost ready. It has a game downloader now. But there are few buts.

Most games need to be installed before you can play them. It's annoying to have to run setup and then setup the game again. I guess repackaging the games that have setup is the only way to go here to make the download feature useful. Anyone willing to help with this?

Repackaging games means we need to host them ourselves of find a server to host the files. Anyone willing to help with this one?

I'll try to find some games that don't need installing and release 0.3 this weekend with few games to download just to test the feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Sure, ukki, I'll try to give some help on this one. It's not like we'll have a massive onslaught of downloaders from the Nokia tablet community and require huge bandwidth. I'll have to wait until I get into the office on Monday though. Just let me know what "installed" games you want hosted and I'll give you the ip address and directory for downloading access.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2008-04-12 at 14:28.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
My one request would be to also have the option to mount the floppy drive as well, only if needed of course.

I've got a really great version of Nethack for DOS.

It has been patched with colored walls, colored hit points, and colors for blessed/cursed objects as well but nothing else besides that.

If possible, I'd be willing to upload it if anyone would like that done.

And yeah, I'd like to upload more settings and junk for a bunch of other games as well, but it won't be until Tuesday or possible Wednesday when I'll have the free time to do so.

Stupid life.

New release. Fixed bugs, made few usability improvements, added simple help text (please post grammar corrections when you find them) and added the game download feature. The download process is a bit slow but luckily the games are usually small too. This feature added unzip dependency to RubyBox but unzip can be easily found from extras. Please test and report bugs.

We need freeware games though.

rubybox_0.3.3.deb

Last edited by ukki; 2008-04-21 at 20:19. Reason: Updated link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Thanks for another update ukki....I'll check it out straightaway! I'm interested in testing that download feature.