Notices

Hi,

we have the new XDA Trion and the new Nokia 770 2006

I work at the Business with MS Word and Excel - Privately, i work with openoffice or Google Writely and Google Spreadsheets. The XDA Trion from my wife functioned very well with MS Word and MS Excel

I want actually only a reasonable version of "abiword and gnumeric" (or an alternative) for my Nokia 770 version 2006. Writely works not on the Nokia 770 2006 Browser

But there is probably nothing - Which alternative gives it - It cannot be nevertheless, that already again ms in front is - such a muck

thanks for your assistance

Fidibus

The Nokia 770 2006 is very good - but the availability of functioning software at the moment is very bad - unfortunately

Last edited by Fidibus; 2006-08-06 at 05:43.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Innsbruck
According to etrunko, gnumeric will be available on monday

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Fidibus
Hi,

we have the new XDA Trion and the new Nokia 770 2006

I work at the Business with MS Word and Excel - Privately, i work with openoffice or Google Writely and Google Spreadsheets. The XDA Trion from my wife functioned very well with MS Word and MS Excel

I want actually only a reasonable version of "abiword and gnumeric" (or an alternative) for my Nokia 770 version 2006. Writely works not on the Nokia 770 2006 Browser

But there is probably nothing - Which alternative gives it - It cannot be nevertheless, that already again ms in front is - such a muck

thanks for your assistance

Fidibus

The Nokia 770 2006 is very good - but the availability of functioning software at the moment is very bad - unfortunately
Maybe we can start an e-mail campaign to ask Softmaker (http://www.softmaker.com/english/) to port their applications to the 770? They're not cheap (EUR 69.95 for a bundle of the wordprocessor and the spreadsheet), but the quality is excellent and they're not very resource-hungry.

Also, from the specs (http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofldetail_en.htm) it appears they don't need any special libraries except glibc (and that can hardly be called specialized).

Hi Karel,

I not know Softmaker - but I am to be ready also paid for something good Software -

Which uses me a Nokia 770 2006, if I cannot use it

condition - at short notice available

Fidibus

Nowhere does it say that the Nokia Internet Tablet has Office-compatible word processors and spreadsheets, so if you absolutely need them, why did you buy one in the first place ?

Originally Posted by fpp
Nowhere does it say that the Nokia Internet Tablet has Office-compatible word processors and spreadsheets, so if you absolutely need them, why did you buy one in the first place ?
I can't speak for everyone else, but I was looking for network capabilities for my PDA (Tungston E). Saw this had wifi, and and ran linux. I was sold.

I, on the other hand (wrongly) assumed that because it ran linux, that linux apps would run on it with very little or no modification. I've been playing catch up ever since.

Are you guys sure there is a *real* need for those types of apps on the 770? Is anybody seriously going to write multiple page documents on it or use it for advanced Excel-type graphing?
I don't really think so. My guess is that 98% of all 770 owners also own at least one laptop. I guess you could construct a case where you would want to edit a spreadsheet and didn't have your laptop around ... but hey, in real life, the small size of the 770 will always prevent it from being an alternative to laptop.
It is excellent as a document reader, so I could see a point in having a Word- and Excel Viewer. But office-style editing on it will never take off. Windows CE tried to push that concept to compete with the Palm Pilot, but it was stillborn and still is. I'd take an Office suite if someone would give it to me for free, but it does not provide any real value. Just because it can be done does not mean that it should be done.
What we need instead is
Better flash support

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Innsbruck
Originally Posted by jj_ib
It is excellent as a document reader, so I could see a point in having a Word- and Excel Viewer.
For viewing .xls or .doc files on N770, you can send them to your gmail address and open attachments using html view!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jj_ib
Are you guys sure there is a *real* need for those types of apps on the 770? Is anybody seriously going to write multiple page documents on it or use it for advanced Excel-type graphing?
I don't really think so. My guess is that 98% of all 770 owners also own at least one laptop. I guess you could construct a case where you would want to edit a spreadsheet and didn't have your laptop around ... but hey, in real life, the small size of the 770 will always prevent it from being an alternative to laptop.
It is excellent as a document reader, so I could see a point in having a Word- and Excel Viewer. But office-style editing on it will never take off. Windows CE tried to push that concept to compete with the Palm Pilot, but it was stillborn and still is. I'd take an Office suite if someone would give it to me for free, but it does not provide any real value. Just because it can be done does not mean that it should be done.
What we need instead is
Better flash support
With a BT keyboard, the 770 is a more than adequate replacement for a laptop. Personally, I've never ever found a laptop that could actually be used for mobile computing: the blasted things need wall sockets constantly. I started my mobile computing life with a Psion 3a, and from 1995 to 1998 it was practically my only computer. I had a brief love affair with a HP Omnibook 425, but quickly replaced it with a Psion 5mx and, in 2001, with a Newton MessagePad 2100.

All these computers were used as PDAs and for serious word- and numbercrunching activities. My best experience was in 2003-2004 when I was co-managing a rather large church restauration project: the architect brought a laptop to the weekly (later dayly) meetings to take notes, and I brought my Newton (without keyboard!). After a few sessions he gave up and used my notes (Yes, Newtons are really that good). My main gripe with the 770 is that Nokia didn't put a decent HWR engine in it (ParaGraph, dammit! ).

So, yes: I do think there is a "need" for those kind of programs, or, to put it better, I think that, once those programs are here, people will use them happily and enthousiastically.