Poll: would you like to have infrared port in your device
Poll Options
would you like to have infrared port in your device

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Never happen!
Jolla=cheap HW at a nokia price!

Edit.
Mike, Does Mer have HW support like phone/sms etc?
I doubt it.. Until it does maemo is alive!
yes it has, why should it not?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Never happen!
Jolla=cheap HW at a nokia price!

Edit.
Mike, Does Mer have HW support like phone/sms etc?
I doubt it.. Until it does maemo is alive!
yes it has, why should it not? Do you think jolla release a smartphone without phone funcionality or what

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
If jolla is so great and good and maemo should give it all to jolla because its the spiritual continuation blah blah blah... Where's the N9 image?

Where is the meego-harmattan image for N900?
Where is the maemo5 image for N810?
Where.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Where is the meego-harmattan image for N900?
Where is the maemo5 image for N810?
Where.....
and how is maemo5 releated to mer?
But anyways neither nokia promised a maemo5 image for n810 nor did jolla promised a sailfish image for N9.
Although there was meego 1.2 image for n900 (developer edition or community edition i forgot) but that has moved to new project nemo(haven't seen much happening there lately)

Last edited by raaj13; 2013-06-02 at 17:20.

Parts of maemo6 went into Meego and MeeGo-Harmattan. Mer is based on MeeGo.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
If jolla is so great and good and maemo should give it all to jolla because its the spiritual continuation blah blah blah... Where's the N9 image?
Sigh, let me place this here, yet again...
Interesting exchanges I saw with a MeR dev several+ wks ago:
__________________________________________________ ________
xxxx: finishing touches on wayland on top of android drivers, for future non-android systems enjoyments
xxxx: but also at the same time, it's obvious the whole jolla movement thing has started a wave that may make the gadget choice quite interesting
xxxx: non-android is suddenly feasible again thanks to our libhybris
xxxx: as we can suddenly put our stacks everywhere
__________________________________________________ ________
xxxx: i can give you the answer here if that's OK: the SDK only contains X86 binaries
xxxx: so you're only seeing it on stuff like exopc and acer iconia tab
xxxx: did you see the iconia tab video?

yyyy: why no option for arm binaries or virtualisation, is that because vendors simply wont provide them for sailfish, hence the need for libhybris?

xxxx: well, there's virtualization but it's x86 virtualisation – the target of SDK is being an SDK
xxxx: and at this point we're not providing ARM binaries until there's a target that people can run ARM builds on
xxxx: the SDK isn't terribly good as a basis for making device ports with anyway

yyyy: So why no ARM binaries? And why only x86 virtualisation? (the later does not matter so much I imagine)

xxxx: two things really: ARM emulators are slow and doesn't provide very good performance in both CPU and OpenGL

yyyy: so why not pick a bunch of targets yonks ago like canonical has been dong, some high profile android handsets etc.

xxxx: and in 99% cases, building an app / porting it to ARM is a matter of flicking a switch, so, we give a good developer experience using a X86 'emulator' – it's really quite good, if you didn't try it already

yyyy: but canonical's approach seems clever to me, seems to garner way more developer/community interest by making their image available on "actual devices," rather than SDK only

xxxx: it seems to mostly backfire actually
xxxx: ubuntu touch channels are filled up with people who can't get it working on their devices, not app developers
xxxx: i fully agree with you that it's a good idea, but there's a couple of legal issues with providing completely ready images for other devices

yyyy: meaning $$$/time required, which Jolla thinks it cant afford, unlike canonical?

xxxx: ok, there's a very simple reason: the current public stack is qt4/x11 and it can't leverage magic new things like libhybris
xxxx: because you'd have to be on qt5/wayland (or surfaceflinger in ubuntu's case) to really take full advantage of it
xxxx: ubuntu's solution, in practice, is android, with ubuntu in a chroot
xxxx: it doesn't even use upstart, it's a tech demo

yyyy: oh those ubuntu images were all done with a much older stack werent they, before they announced usage of mir/libhybris etc, before they moved mostly to their own entire stack vs a mostly android-based one?

xxxx: mir isn't in use in any of their images yet, and they used libhybris from start
xxxx: what they did, practically, was take libhybris behind doors, make interfacing to android's Surfaceflinger (window manager/compositor) and add a QML ui on top

yyyy: yep

xxxx: and that was their tech demo and they sold the hell out of that

yyyy: so will he 1st major release of Sailfish be based on qt5/wayland, or that's not coming till next year right?

xxxx: we'll see

yyyy: So whenever it does come out, it will be much easier to do the sort of stuff canonical has been doing. i.e. at least 2-3 images for some of the most high profile android devices

xxxx: right, just note http://pastie.org/7736334
xxxx: so it can't ever be a truly pretty experience

yyyy: So as canonical are slowly moving away from what's mostly an android-based solution, they're going to have exactly the same problems as you guys anyway, right?

xxxx: probably, i think it's probably possible to do development builds, but it's really a matter of how you approach it
xxxx: you don't want to have a situation where 1) people wouldn't buy the actual device or 2) that the focus is more on hw hacking than sw development
xxxx: (this is just my personal opinion)
xxxx: with all the building blocks, mer, libhybris, etc, i encourage people to do all this stuff so we get all these building blocks field tested

yyyy: i guess that one of the main reasons why you guys are scared of proving some imge for android devices, as a large part of your revenue model depends on selling your own device, but I really think it could significantly boost sailfish/nemo profile & hacking community

xxxx: i don't disagree

yyyy: hopefully you move quickly towards providing at least 2-3 images for some of the most popular devices, "once" you're much closer to a Sailfish based on Qt5/wayland

xxxx: let's see, it might be a matter that people need to self-assemble images themselves

yyyy: I imagine that'll prolly be long after your 1st device it out anyway… so you'll have less to worry about with regards to potential sales being cannibalised

xxxx: so far we've (as in community) validated libhybris-wayland on intel SGX, allwinner mali, hp touchpad qualcomm adreno..
xxxx: so it's looking good so far

Originally Posted by raaj13 View Post
but that has moved to new project nemo(haven't seen much happening there lately)
No true, lots has been happening there, even significant chunks of Sailfish are based on it...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-02 at 17:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I don't agree that building for ARM is simply flipping a switch on x86 build. Plasma Active on ARM proves to have quite different bugs from x86 ones. And those are impossible to detect until running on actual hardware.

Uhm, what about IR? Isn't that the topic of the thread?

I love the feature. The HTC One has it, so it can link to all your TVs, cable boxes, electronics, etc.--all with the touch of a button. The service even has the button layout preprogrammed to the device it detects. Once you have it, it's VERY convenient, and since your phone is usually handy, there's no more worrying after multiple remotes.

It's a bit of a luxury, but that's what smartphones are all about, right?

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
S4 and note also have it

Tags
+fm transceiver, +ir transceiver, child, dummy, ohnoesnotagain