Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Due to the lack of DRM and the poor security put in place on the OVI store, it just isn't possible to sell content without someone easily pirating and redistributing it at this time. However this issue seems to have been addressed in Harmattan with a special security layer.
I wouldn't say security. DRM is the opposite of security: instead of YOU telling your device/computer what to do, someone else does.

This is not a minor issue. Saying that DRM increases security passes a very harmful illusion to the general public.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiaman View Post
I feel that if Devs charge for their work they may be motivated to make more. The apps I have tried and used are really cool and work nice. The recent one I been using is MyTube, this works great, little buggy but I'm sure it will get better.
Many Dev's have the ability to Donate to them.

Why should a dev have to charge for their work? If it's worth money - why can't people just send them whatever they feel they can?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

On my N900 I can have OpenOffice, SSH client/server, VNC, VLC, web server, lots of crafty computer applications. It's the lightweight fun-for-a-dollar applets that's lacking here. If only the phone/pim base applications had been better on this platform, I don't think there'd be any many reasons to jump ship to a Dalvik crippled platform, or to put myself in jail. The lightweight gadgets doesn't strike me as very important, just bragables.

Okay first things first I am a Nokia Fanboy and have LOVED and cherished my N900 since pre ordering the device back in November last year. However I have one major major hang up with it. There are NO apps for this device. Sure there are plenty in testing but even seeing these they really are lacking user interfaces that the N900 is capable of. Now I have just been playing with a work colleagues Android HTC desire, a brand new phone but yet it comes with a full heap of apps readily available from the Google Community;

The barcode reader for instance is brilliant on the Desire, we have mbarcode still in testing with a user interface that leaves quite a bit to be desired and extra plugins that we need to install just to get it to lookup products online......

lastfm client is readily available on android with FULL last.fm support with their android application. We DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING which can stream last.fm content and do it well without subscription. Yes we have vagalume but that's combersome and we need to edit the commandline just to get it working properly.

I am just interested to understand why if Nokia is SO large why we can't get proper development of applications for the Maemo Device. The other application I would love to see is native support for the Sonos multiroom system which is avaliable and actively promoted for the iphone.

I do not wish to be flamed for this topic however I am just perplexed how we have this super powerful open source mobile computer and yet there is a very limited number of "useful" supported applications and non of the 3rd parties are looking at maemo as an operating system worth bothering about as i would love an official lastfm client or sonos client.....I was impressed to see the sygic actually natively supported our device and it works absolutely brilliantly and I would spend £39.99 on buying the licence for it..

Regards

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
If you aren't happy with the apps that are out now, get to work on some.

Truth of the matter is that most of those apps are written by the companies that provide that service. Last.fm made the Last.fm app, for example.

The N900 doesn't have the userbase yet for most companies to bother with at this point. We probably will see a lot more when MeeGo rolls around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pwannell View Post
I do not wish to be flamed for this topic ..
You are going to be toast.

There is very little 3rd party interest in Maemo and the n900, the apps you see here are written and supported by people like you and me in their spare time and offered free.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
The maemo install base is not large enough and the Ovi Store not secure enough for lots of commercial apps. This will probably change in the next 3 to 6 months, until then as Zerojay says you can only rely on the community and yourself.

I have myself just started learning Python so that I can begin coding stuff. I feel that it is a grave shame though that the big companies are not supporting the OS. So am I right in assuming that the userbase for the Google Android is bigger than the Meamo one? Who is coding all of the apps for the Google App store and why is no one coding for Ovi?

this should hopefully change with the sdk:

http://achipa.blogspot.com/2010/04/f...as-qt-sdk.html

So am I right in assuming that the userbase for the Google Android is bigger than the Meamo one? Who is coding all of the apps for the Google App store and why is no one coding for Ovi?
Ofcourse it's bigger, the selection of apps for Maemo is only a tiny fraction of the development that is happening on Android. The reasons for this has been discussed over and over on these forums, ad nauseum.

I have myself just started learning Python so that I can begin coding stuff.
It's great that you're learning to program, we'll look forward to seeing what you can contribute Hopefully nobody will critique it too hard

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software