Hi there. I've setup the email application and I can send/receive emails fine using my wireless connection at home. But when I use t-mobiles internet it fails. T-mobile said it might be due to some issues with the network today, but I could really do with finding out where the problem starts to help me get a bit further. Is there any way to see what caused the error like an error code, description, etc. Also, if anyone is on t-mobile would you try your e-mail to see if anyone else is having this issue.

Anyone? All I want is the error report on why it failed. Saying it "failed" is no real help. It's like telling me someones cat in America had its nails cut

If T-Mobile say its a network problem then ... network problem?

Are you able to browse the internet etc? Are you able to telnet from a terminal window to port 25 of the server? If yes then it likely won't be a network problem as you can use GPRS and connect to port 25 so must be a phone issue.

Neil

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Norfolk, UK
claws. cats have claws

Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
If T-Mobile say its a network problem then ... network problem?

Are you able to browse the internet etc? Are you able to telnet from a terminal window to port 25 of the server? If yes then it likely won't be a network problem as you can use GPRS and connect to port 25 so must be a phone issue.

Neil
I can browse the internet fine. Not sure how to telnet to port 25 though

Originally Posted by Memph1s View Post
claws. cats have claws
You learn something new everyday

Yeah, could try installing Claws.

To test with telnet, open a terminal, gain root access (type "root" if you've installed root access) then install telnet:
apt-get install telnet

Once installed type:
telnet smtp.gmail.com 25
(or whatever your email provider is)

If it works it should come back with the server header proving it works.

I am on T-Mobile (UK) and had this problem once or twice in the past -- it always cleared up after I gave up trying, so I guess it must be an intermittent network problem.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
This thread has some instructions and pointers on how to debug Modest issues.

(and seeing that you seem to have an interest in Modest, why not visit the brainstorm to suggest improvements)?