OK so i have and love my n800, the gps and keyboard are right up my ally, i typically load up my 12" laptop and run streets and trips when traveling .. and the keyboard simply adds more functionality.. for more PC like applications.

One question I have is the GPS, is it good as MS street and trips for turn by turn directions? I know the lock in on the GPS is longer than most ., but will it lock in if I turn it on and start on my way.. will it lock in motion?

Also i know there has been talk of service fees for the GPS, is this optional.. AKA when i take it out of the box will i be able to use GPS with out service and get directions with out service .. and then decide later is i like it enough to pay for updates.. i typically get a new GPS package every year with MS streets and trips so maps are up to date.

From the videos I have seen the daylight screen is really quite good, any comments there would be great also. Its got to be better than a standard laptop screen, at least thats what I have seen from youtube videos.

Thx.. Hopefully ill get it for xmas if it will do what I need.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
If you already have an N800, why bother with an N810? OS2008 (with the "Map" application) is available right now for it, and a bluetooth GPS module will perform even better than the built-in GPS on the N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I agree, the N800 works great for me, and the gps with maemo mapper worked even better after I installed os2008 beta. I have a Holux GPSlim240 bt gps receiver. The only drawback it has from my perspective is that I have to charge it from my laptop's usb connection, and I don't like that.

And it cost me about $60, which is a lot cheaper than buying an n810. A bt keyboard cost me another $30.

Yeah i hear ya there i really love the all in one , no external device aspect of the 810 however.. almost everything i could passably need in my pocket..

That fact really resonates with me..

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by E-ville View Post
One question I have is the GPS, is it good as MS street and trips for turn by turn directions?
No. There are no turn-by-turn directions out of the box, and I think the software that does that is still in beta. The included GPS software just shows you where you are and allows you to look up POI and addresses, but there's no guidance in between. The software that comes with it is cludgy, buggy and slow, nevermind the GPS lock-on issues. If you're buying this with the GPS in mind, I recommend waiting until it is fully implemented and evaluated before making your decision.

I know the lock in on the GPS is longer than most ., but will it lock in if I turn it on and start on my way.. will it lock in motion?
Yes, it'll keep a lock in motion.

Also i know there has been talk of service fees for the GPS, is this optional.. AKA when i take it out of the box will i be able to use GPS with out service and get directions with out service .. and then decide later is i like it enough to pay for updates.. i typically get a new GPS package every year with MS streets and trips so maps are up to date.
The software is going to be available for a fee (I think a one-time fee, maybe with updates or annual sub) and a trial will be available but is not available at this time.

All that said, this does not take into account other third-party mapping solutions like MaemoMapper (which I have not tried) and the potential for Google or other applications to come out. My understanding is that those apps would require an active data connection at this time, but that could change in the future as well.

Last edited by weatherman; 2007-12-12 at 17:52.

Well, I think ill get wiat to see where the UMPC goes, the Samsung Q1 ultra is looking poretty sweet right now.. nees a few things before ill by like GPS built in and a Microphone input... But there getting so close to having a really portable full fledged PC..

However if Nokia putses with the n810 it could easly fill my needs.. a turn by turn GPS would do it for me on the n810 but need one that isnt on a internet connection, i dont have a data cell plan and dont plan on it for a while...

Looks like ill be lugging my 12" laptop for some time..