Posts: 33 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Orange County
First of all I would like to continue to thank you guys. I was not able to get any useful search results so here I go.

My question is that since there is no vnc for os2008 yet(or is this not true?) is there an comparable program that would do the same? And to make things more difficult rDesktop will not work for me because I use Ubuntu desktop. Unless of course there is some way to get rDesktop on Ubuntu but Google wasn't too friendly returning websites that were of any help.

I heard in one of the threads that there may be a vnc for the os2008 but that the on-screen keyboard doesn't work.

So basically I would like to place the vnc client on the N800 and the server on Ubuntu, witch I believe there are many different choices and be able to transfer files and play music etc. I would accept some type of browser vnc such as go-to-my-pc or something such as Orb(orb dosnt work on ubuntu) which I believe is done over java or something but going through browser might limit the viewing space on the n800.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
You might want to do some searching for the VNC client for OS2008 (I don't have my N800 in front of me to check). I have the client installed and it connects to the VNC server on my Ubuntu 7.10 without a hitch. Yesterday I was able, from the N800, to connect to Ubuntu, start OpenOffice Writer, and type into a document using my bluetooth keyboard. So what you wish to do is certainly possible.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Hi, there is in fact vnc viewer for os 2008 and the onscreen keyboard works with it perfectly, you can download it from https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vncviewer/ , oh and for the media sharing I strongly recommend upnp type applications on your ubuntu box, mediatomb http://mediatomb.cc/ and then install medistreamer for nokia n800, this way you can acces your music easily atleast on your home network, on windows there is another applicatino tversity and with that you can share music, video etc easily to you nokia tablet. there is few guides on installing mediatomb in ubuntu at ubuntuforums so it doesn't seem to be too bad

Last edited by andy1; 2008-01-28 at 18:02.

Edit: sorry this part was meant for chrisblessing

That is exactly what I would like to do. Would I have to add extra repositories to get the vnc you have? I am pretty sure I have looked though the entire list in my app db. Oh and by the way what vnc client are you using on your Ubuntu?

now for the second post...
Man your guys post quickly. I think orb is the best for windows. you should give it a try if you haven't already.

Last edited by bdjohnso10; 2008-01-28 at 18:06.

no you don't need any extra repositories, you can download the .deb file and install it straight from commandline or with the application manager. https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...ook1_armel.deb there's a direct link but im not sure if it works. If it doesn't just press download on the garage page and select the vncviewer_0.6.1-chinook1_armel.deb on your tablet.

For the vnc in ubuntu I guess you mean vnc server that you can acces the ubuntu box from the tablet? for that atleast on 7.10 and fully updated 7.04 has allready integrated vnc server that you only need to enable in the remote desktop settings or something like that, I don't have my ubuntu box on at the moment so I don't remember the place entirely but it is in the system settings.

Last edited by andy1; 2008-01-28 at 18:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to andy1 For This Useful Post:
ok now that works like a charm!

now I heard that if you don't have a static ip that you can set up a service that will email you whenever the ip address changes outside the router.

which brings up my second question what port does this run on so I can port forward the vnc when I am away from my home network.

again thankyou!

Edit: also do I have to use a external bt keyboard to type? with the vncviewer on the n800?

Last edited by bdjohnso10; 2008-01-28 at 18:21.

No you don't need external keyboard to type with vnc viewer, the onscreen keyboard pops up when you press the write button on the bottom bar, or with the middle button which opens up the big keyboard or the small one depending on your input settings in maemo control panel. Of the port it uses im not entirely sure, ultravnc on windows uses port 5900 as default but you can change it so im not sure of the port the vnc in ubuntu runs, for dynamic ip address I would use dyndns or something similar which many routers support themselves, at least every cheapo dlink router I have or have seen has dyndns support right in the firmware, this way you have a simple to remember url which to connect anywhere. Just remember that vnc is not crypted so better idea would propably be to install hamachi on the n800 and the ubuntu and connect trough hamachi ip address which gives you strong encryption and static ip at the same time !. you can find the hamachi arm port here http://files.hamachi.cc/linux/nokia-...nx-n770.tar.gz and for the ubuntu you can download it straight from their homepage.

I think that's the the n770 and I don't think the n770s can run OS2008. Is there a Hamachi build for the n8x0 series?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Is there a VNC server for the OS2008 so that the N8x0 can be controlled remotely? All my searches keep coming up with viewers.

Edit: Here appears to be one:

http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x....3-1_armel.deb

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2008-02-02 at 12:57.

Thanks to Andy1 for his link of vncviewer. It works.
But I'm looking for vnserver to work on N800 (OS2008). Link of rdcinhou is not working very well, I can't click on Address box or Main menu. Only clickable on virtual keyboard and typing. I can't update from Terminal: apt-get install vncserver,

Any help is appreciated.