Can you run a debian armel compiled app in maemo? I am not too worried about hildonization right off, just wanna see if its possible.

There is an Evolution port for Debian Armel and I want to see if it will run under maemo. That way we would have a well established PIM/E-mail suite that works and would use the already in place EDS backend (therefore saving diskspace, et al).
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Depends how complex the application is I would imagine... mostly Id say no.. Evolution definitely not without rebuilding/porting it.

The reason is dependencies.. the application will depend on different libraries or non-existent ones.. GTK+ and the like.. If it's already ported to ARMEL in Debian though it probably wouldn't take a lot to compile it for Maemo .. but it may not function great until it's been totally ported.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
check out this, I think it is what you want. But if you want native then no you have to have some one port it to maemo first.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I've been wondering about that too.. I'm mostly interested in seeing if I can get some console apps to work, myself (TinyFugue, find (the busybox version is too limited), etc.)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
It is possible running it directly, but probably unstable and no theming, virtual keyboard and whatever else maemo gives you

Console apps are better target, you should run them along with their own debian armel libs they depend to. No easy installation - you have to extract debs manually.

Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
check out this, I think it is what you want. But if you want native then no you have to have some one port it to maemo first.
I don't want to run any of the Debian/KDE things if possible because I want to preserve as much diskspace as possible and with a n810 we only have one slot of limited size to use for such things.

Anyhow thanks for the answers, that is all pretty much what I figured. I know Maemo is based on Debian and the Gui on Gnome. I just didn't know how close to its counterparts maemo actually was.

Anyone willing to port Evolution..
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Evolution runs, it just doesn't run very well. It wasn't designed for our tablets at all.

Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
... just wanna see if its possible....
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
I don't want to run any of the Debian/KDE things if possible because I want to preserve as much diskspace as possible and with a n810 we only have one slot of limited size to use for such things.
As for preserving space, I recommend buying a couple of SD cards, you can have one with Debian on it for experiments and testing apps. The easy chroot doesn't really bloat your system, you can pull out the "Debian card" if you aren't running any Debian apps. And 8 GB mini SD cards are pretty cheap these days ($38 here).

Last edited by qole; 2008-08-07 at 17:29.

Yeah.. but that's running a debian ARMEL binary in DEBIAN and just overlaying over the top of Maemo.

This guy wanted (from what I can tell) to just copy the binaries from a Debian Armel side; directly to a Maemo side.. and just run it.. without any re-compilation of any kind.

This might work on extremely lightweight; statically linked; applications that don't depend on any 3rd party libraries or binaries.. but typically; you would need to recompile for the maemo environment to get it to actually run in maemo and not just appear to run in maemo .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, I know what he wanted. I was just saying that Evolution works, but, as it stands (using the Debian armel binaries), it is rather bulky and slow and the layout is very difficult to work with on our tablet screen.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
It can run directly, that's how OOo runs in the biggest viewer, but it is ugly