Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
This is unfortunately true, at least to some extent.

However, I still believe that partly open sourcing, or dual/triple licensing Sailfish OS could be a wise move. Nemo and Mer are a bit far from functional product people use every day so it's no wonder there is limited interest in them even if effort put into them also benefits Sailfish. Mere licensing change won't cut it though, there would need to be an infrastructure and processes to support co-development, accepting patches, documentation etc. And of course there is the hurdle with some parts being kept out of public (in regard to future products, etc). But still, IMO it would be the best way, now that the foundation and UI is more or less solid.
I agree, but i have also shared exciting info about jaakko (ex jolla's design chief) join us in someway.
I can understand is not a finished product but we have to invest efforts if we want something. things unfortunately arent going coming for free, only waiting and having fun with complains

PS: when i download and set bitcoin core, creating a wallet, it require about 20 GB ..BUT then it start to syncronize something i dont understand, (7 years of transations) what does it mean? 20 Gb of data has to be downloaded from network (consuming my data plan) or is only space occupied by bitcoin core program?? thanks

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-12-26 at 17:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by nestori View Post
a promise that a new Jolla phone is on the way, a promise that the india thingy will be done
I think you might find that these are one and the same thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
EDIT: after a research of story and how bitcoin and cryptocurrencies works i decided to not use it for an ethical reason.

All those cryptovalues, have been made in a way that simply let only the first group of pionieers to earn big money. then, with progressive rise of complexity for mining bitcoin, it is very difficoult to make money with them. So is the same, bad story. As for the finacial system, a little group of people create something, take the big part of value and then simply throw bones to the others poor wolves, who fight each other for them. No real value associated with the currency (for example, if a coin is made of gold, it has got a value in itself). Just like Euro or USD, where coin itself doesnt worth so much, but its value is only in possibility to be changed for service/product.
I was interested in cryptocurrencies just cause they represented , at least for me, a new way of payment, anonymous, free (or with low fee) and not centralized. A way to escape from the bank/finance system wich is made only to dominate people and using a lot of people just to give power to a little group of creators of that system.
Instead i have found that my dreams have to vanish, cause Bitcoin and other cryptomoney is just like the same (very dishuman and selfish, unfortunately) trick to scam other human beings, but in a new shapes, a digital dress for covering the old same bad intention. it's the wish to **** our brothers but 2.0
and there is more, that make cryptocurrencies worst than normal, classic, dumb money and that, at least for myself, destroy the advantage of anonymity and decentralization of money:
the so called mining cryptomoney, forcing SHA256, require PC/HW going on 24/7 just in order to obtain new blocks: this require a big amount of Energy and electricity, but creates no real value, no real products,no real happyness. And it give rise to a new form of pollution and waste of energy.

to sum up, is just a wolf in sheep's clothing, and based on exploitation/betrayal of modern (and justified) desire of not being controlled and spyed.

I Am so sorry with this, but I am not gonna to sell my soul and my principles, and my ethic for money.
Sorry for the OT, but i am really disappointed by the eternal recurrence of human's evil perversion to use other (human or not) beings for own purposes.

just to understand:
http://www.businessinsider.com/927-p...s-2013-12?IR=T

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-12-26 at 19:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Agreed.
My solution (which some may find not to be any solution at all...but I disagree on this since the other options are not rational)
is withdrawal.
Withdrawal from such "civilized" madness.
Every time some aspect becomes polluted ....to a saturated point.
I withdraw.
Protesting does nothing.
Half a century ago and further back protesting had effect.
Revolt? No. Rebellion? Upset? No. I don't believe it worth it ...
What has been the result?
Violence...deaths...horrible upheavals of all kinds
And I cannot say that things have ended up better for humanity as a whole as a consequence.

The machinery of the systems humanity has set up work very well.
At best...the laws protect the worst villains and are set up to stymie and impoverish in the process (if the the poor People are not people any longer ...they are consumers.
Humanity has been groomed and steered to this direction.
It is reflected right down to how much of society really are interested in maemo or Jolla or ..whatever alternatives.
It is about convenience.
How convenient things are.
And the choice.
Civilization has chosen.
Choice of a glass or thermos of water from the faucet (meaning responsible care and caretaking of our water resources)
over
the choice of plastic bottled water which end up in garbage, landfills, and littering everywhere, not to mention contaminates the water in said plastic bottles with A.G.E.'s sickening it's consumers and everyone else at a cost.
And not just that health cost.
How about the cost to geographic areas and the people in them where these corporations come in and drain the aquifers dry and then move on...
to supply the lazy and indolent with bottled water.
Or.. financially....the costs at the base of it all.
the cost to produce 1 plastic bottle with water in it is the equivalent of the energy cost to purify 10 000 glasses water you get from the tap.
So where is the sanity?
It isn't about sanity....it's about immediate gratification and convenience.

Change only occurs to appease and to continue the milking of the consumer. If at all possible ...Lie to the consumer that real change has taken effect. (ie- volkswagon....the "green revolution" - there has been quite an unmasking on this of many corporations ..Canada's own broadcaster has uncovered in many exposing shows -such as "Marketplace" ...and there are many other examples as well of such flim-flammery ..)

So yeah...
I don't believe your upset is anymore than that.
Others may view it as ranting...
I don't believe your upset is any more a rant than mine.
It is just that.
Upset.
Solutions?
I believe solutions are a personal matter.
Expecting, hoping, or usage of energy to effect change will result in bad feelings.
Better to change ones own direction and be happy with that.
That is cope-able ...do-able ...
A depressing solution?
Naw.
One of the few actual quotes supposedly from christ was a question posed asking whether he felt there was hope for humanity...
His supposed answer was ...
No not a hope for humanity at all..
But he believed individuals had better than a hope...
He thought there was a great deal of hope for the individual...
And Christ wasn't the only guy to have said as much.
So to end my very long post.
Do your best by yourself and those around you.
And be as happy as you possibly can be.
More than that is asking far too much of an individual.
Peace, happiness, lotsa turkey, rum and egg nog ...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Realistically I think the issue is that developers were all excited about Meego, about Qt and about the open sourced nature of it all. They really liked what they saw and wanted to take apart.

But then Nokia went and backhanded the lot of them, left Qt to rot and went down the Windows route. After that many devs have left and simply gone to Android, where they can happily tinker and contribute.

Now Jolla turns up with the same promises, but people don't care any more, they have simply gone somewhere else.

edit:

That's why the whole open sourced OS will fail. Because they are have it at Android.

The other option is the monetizing the OS, maybe that'll work, maybe it won't. But what are Jolla's revenue streams?

We can't really say what's wrong with Jolla without the full picture of the internal workings of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
All this bashing is a mistake and neglects the reality you're living in. This is more geared towards the jollas reading it than to those succumbing to the cheap flame war.
If you don't care about the third way, go with one of the main stream platforms and get yourself served to the appropriate monetizing scheme. Google and Android is all about open source. Where does it make money? Think about it. Three times. Then come back bashing. It is NOT about all open source. Because open source doesn't solve the patent issues. And the trademark issues. And the market power issues. And the bundling with other stuff issues. And the "if you wonder about the the product, you're the product" issues. And the downgrade to RC4 trap issues. Let alone the battery issues and the broken touchscreen issues.
My daughter said: Look, the iphone6 hipsters can't play any video without buying it via iTunes. The galaxy6 hipsters can play half a film, because then they run out of battery.
I support Jolla because I think we need a different player. And part of the mobile business is just not open source. This is certainly true for the base-band stuff. But also for other drivers. Complaining is easy, but to contribute native sailfishOS drivers is really hard!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rigow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
EDIT: after a research of story and how bitcoin and cryptocurrencies works i decided to not use it for an ethical reason.

All those cryptovalues, have been made in a way that simply let only the first group of pionieers to earn big money. then, with progressive rise of complexity for mining bitcoin, it is very difficoult to make money with them. So is the same, bad story. As for the finacial system, a little group of people create something, take the big part of value and then simply throw bones to the others poor wolves, who fight each other for them. No real value associated with the currency (for example, if a coin is made of gold, it has got a value in itself). Just like Euro or USD, where coin itself doesnt worth so much, but its value is only in possibility to be changed for service/product.
I was interested in cryptocurrencies just cause they represented , at least for me, a new way of payment, anonymous, free (or with low fee) and not centralized. A way to escape from the bank/finance system wich is made only to dominate people and using a lot of people just to give power to a little group of creators of that system.
Instead i have found that my dreams have to vanish, cause Bitcoin and other cryptomoney is just like the same (very dishuman and selfish, unfortunately) trick to scam other human beings, but in a new shapes, a digital dress for covering the old same bad intention. it's the wish to **** our brothers but 2.0
and there is more, that make cryptocurrencies worst than normal, classic, dumb money and that, at least for myself, destroy the advantage of anonymity and decentralization of money:
the so called mining cryptomoney, forcing SHA256, require PC/HW going on 24/7 just in order to obtain new blocks: this require a big amount of Energy and electricity, but creates no real value, no real products,no real happyness. And it give rise to a new form of pollution and waste of energy.

to sum up, is just a wolf in sheep's clothing, and based on exploitation/betrayal of modern (and justified) desire of not being controlled and spyed.

I Am so sorry with this, but I am not gonna to sell my soul and my principles, and my ethic for money.
Sorry for the OT, but i am really disappointed by the eternal recurrence of human's evil perversion to use other (human or not) beings for own purposes.

just to understand:
http://www.businessinsider.com/927-p...s-2013-12?IR=T
tl;dr if I jumped on the crypto bandwagon early I would be alright with it, but because I learned about it when I need to invest 5k$ just to mine a bit, seems like a scam, doesn't matter it is the cheapest way to transfer money between people and it was that from the start, some people mined, scammers all of them, I'd rather pay 30 pounds to send over 20$, because I was late to the party, usefulness of the solution is not important. ethical reasons, not being jealous, not at all, srsly

edit: you can be ethically against gold rush and oil rush, nobody cares, bitcoin rush is over, but you can still try your luck with things like dogecoin and other crypto alternatives, maybe they are less to your ethics as you can still invest in them (though just like when bitcoin tanked 75%, don't expect too much, it works great as a currency to avoid bank taxes, if you're into investing and hoping to reap huge profits, go ahead, it is volatile as sh..)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-12-26 at 22:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
tl;dr if I jumped on the crypto bandwagon early I would be alright with it, but because I learned about it when I need to invest 5k$ just to mine a bit, seems like a scam, doesn't matter it is the cheapest way to transfer money between people and it was that from the start, some people mined, scammers all of them, I'd rather pay 30 pounds to send over 20$, because I was late to the party, usefulness of the solution is not important. ethical reasons, not being jealous, not at all, srsly

edit: you can be ethically against gold rush and oil rush, nobody cares, bitcoin rush is over, but you can still try your luck with things like dogecoin and other crypto alternatives, maybe they are less to your ethics as you can still invest in them (though just like when bitcoin tanked 75%, don't expect too much, it works great as a currency to avoid bank taxes, if you're into investing and hoping to reap huge profits, go ahead, it is volatile as sh..)
Dude, please don't tell me who i am.
i am really sorry for your thought about it but i couldnt disagree agree with you more than this. I have never being jelous of someone for his money, you can believe or not, but simply that's it. Simply i would feel envy towards someone else for other things that i consider much more worth, but not money. You can read my post as a proof of my jelousy for being late for party but in that case, sorry for saying that, it would reflect your poorness of spirit and i would really invite you to not project your thoughts over me. And if you read carefully my post you will notice that i have expressed my best wishes in cryptocurrency as way to get decentralized, anonymous and without fee transations between private. What i am saying is completely different, please read agan...i am saying that beyond this apparent intention there had been, IN MY OWN OPINION, intention to make money free by the first group of user, who probably contributed to it. however for me, that kind of mechanism with mining and so on is simply bad.
Even financial system was made for " make tranfer of value and improve globalization of capitals and investments" but sorry for my paranoia if i see that it is represented nowadays only speculations and unreal value (or better, not real and physical value) and if it's evident that it is a system that who created it, had been able to manipulate as they wanted.
I don't want to join cryptocurrency at all as long as they are structured in this way, indipendently if dogecoin or mysistercoin.
i am still waiting for a cryptocurrency wich is free from this engine that is nothing more than pyramidal system ( remember sites that worked in that manner?) where a lot of people give a lot for crumbs, where first group of user (high positioned in pyramid herarchy) eat all the bread, supported by all users.
Bitcoins have value as long as people are using it, and first group have had all intentions to make them famous and spreaded. I am not a developer so i cant say how to do it, but i would have prefer a system in wich mining was not possible and money haven't to be "discovered" forcing SHA256.

ps: what do you mean for tanked? does it mean loose value?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Agreed.
My solution (which some may find not to be any solution at all...but I disagree on this since the other options are not rational)
is withdrawal.
Withdrawal from such "civilized" madness.
Every time some aspect becomes polluted ....to a saturated point.
I withdraw.
Protesting does nothing.
Half a century ago and further back protesting had effect.
Revolt? No. Rebellion? Upset? No. I don't believe it worth it ...
What has been the result?
Violence...deaths...horrible upheavals of all kinds
And I cannot say that things have ended up better for humanity as a whole as a consequence.

The machinery of the systems humanity has set up work very well.
At best...the laws protect the worst villains and are set up to stymie and impoverish in the process (if the the poor People are not people any longer ...they are consumers.
Humanity has been groomed and steered to this direction.
It is reflected right down to how much of society really are interested in maemo or Jolla or ..whatever alternatives.
It is about convenience.
How convenient things are.
And the choice.
Civilization has chosen.
Choice of a glass or thermos of water from the faucet (meaning responsible care and caretaking of our water resources)
over
the choice of plastic bottled water which end up in garbage, landfills, and littering everywhere, not to mention contaminates the water in said plastic bottles with A.G.E.'s sickening it's consumers and everyone else at a cost.
And not just that health cost.
How about the cost to geographic areas and the people in them where these corporations come in and drain the aquifers dry and then move on...
to supply the lazy and indolent with bottled water.
Or.. financially....the costs at the base of it all.
the cost to produce 1 plastic bottle with water in it is the equivalent of the energy cost to purify 10 000 glasses water you get from the tap.
So where is the sanity?
It isn't about sanity....it's about immediate gratification and convenience.

Change only occurs to appease and to continue the milking of the consumer. If at all possible ...Lie to the consumer that real change has taken effect. (ie- volkswagon....the "green revolution" - there has been quite an unmasking on this of many corporations ..Canada's own broadcaster has uncovered in many exposing shows -such as "Marketplace" ...and there are many other examples as well of such flim-flammery ..)

So yeah...
I don't believe your upset is anymore than that.
Others may view it as ranting...
I don't believe your upset is any more a rant than mine.
It is just that.
Upset.
Solutions?
I believe solutions are a personal matter.
Expecting, hoping, or usage of energy to effect change will result in bad feelings.
Better to change ones own direction and be happy with that.
That is cope-able ...do-able ...
A depressing solution?
Naw.
One of the few actual quotes supposedly from christ was a question posed asking whether he felt there was hope for humanity...
His supposed answer was ...
No not a hope for humanity at all..
But he believed individuals had better than a hope...
He thought there was a great deal of hope for the individual...
And Christ wasn't the only guy to have said as much.
So to end my very long post.
Do your best by yourself and those around you.
And be as happy as you possibly can be.
More than that is asking far too much of an individual.
Peace, happiness, lotsa turkey, rum and egg nog ...
really like your post. If i dont get wrong i can sum up it saying that as a person you have to go for your path, avoiding what you think is bad, not targeting to save whole humanity but to make your best. am i wrong?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
PS: i am really interested in this way of payment:
is not anonymous but is similar to paypal, but free when you send money to some private/friends and with lower fee than paypal for business.
every transition between privates is free. instead about transition's fee for business :

under 10 euros is free.
over 10 euros is 0,20 cent, indipendently from amount.

satispay.com

could be viable in your opinions?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: