Active Topics

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
There really needs to be an application that allows you to remotely locate or lock your device incase it is lost or stolen. Since I think most people will have a 3g data plan and n900 has an integrated GPS someone could program a web service that allows you to log in and track/remotely disable your precious n900. Sending the GPS coordinates using sms could also be an option. The program itself should be a console deamon or similar, so it's hidden from everyone who is just normally using the device. I think there is a similar but paid service for iPhone.

Only problem is that someone needs to develop this application and host the web service

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
There really needs to be an application that allows you to remotely locate or lock your device incase it is lost or stolen. Since I think most people will have a 3g data plan and n900 has an integrated GPS someone could program a web service that allows you to log in and track/remotely disable your precious n900. Sending the GPS coordinates using sms could also be an option. The program itself should be a console deamon or similar, so it's hidden from everyone who is just normally using the device. I think there is a similar but paid service for iPhone.

Only problem is that someone needs to develop this application and host the web service
Ive got a free service for my android.
You can find it here ==> http://www.instamapper.com/

Im sure it would be simple for us to come up with something similar for maemo , maybe instamapper can help us integrate in their service too.

But for now, im just getting annoyed with Nokia's attitude about the release date for this phone. Heck I dont care if its delayed till Jan 2010, but I really wish they come out and give us a damn date !
Dont feel interested at the moment in spending any effort in development, id rather start developing for a phone that I know I will have by the next month, palm pre, android whatever.

sorry for expressing this frustration, but the main idea of my post was to show you this service :-)

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Partially covered by https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=793 (feel free to vote for it).
I also remember a proposal about what you describe here but of course cannot find it anymore... :-(

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by krk969 View Post
But for now, im just getting annoyed with Nokia's attitude about the release date for this phone. Heck I dont care if its delayed till Jan 2010, but I really wish they come out and give us a damn date !
It's ready when it's ready.
So if I say "Tomorrow" and you get a buggy product, would you be happy either? So I say "Jan 2010" and you are surprised and happy that suddenly it's released earlier. :-P

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
It's ready when it's ready.
So if I say "Tomorrow" and you get a buggy product, would you be happy either? So I say "Jan 2010" and you are surprised and happy that suddenly it's released earlier. :-P
Well Andre, as I said I dont care when its released, the point I was trying to make is they come around display the phone and report in random places a vague idea of releasing the phone in Oct( now Nov in the UK) , but I havent seen a real official date from them yet. Thats quite strange to me.

Yes of course I would like a bug free product and Im happy Nokia takes the time and fixes them before release, but what is preventing to give a release date, its fair to ask that, I work in a technology domain too, you just cant have no target dates, can we ?

So even if the release is Jan 2010 or later or before , bug free that is, they should come out and let all the maemo fans know about it instead keeping mum and having random dates displayed across Nokia online shops around the world.

At the end of the day, Im a huge fan of this phone, but like I said in one of my earlier posts also, if they miss the train , they miss many developers who dont have too much patience like me perhaps ;-).

Apologize for going off-topic, I promise I wont discuss this issue more, its quite pointless, Im sure everybody is as eager as me or less to get their hands on a "real" device soon :-)

Last edited by krk969; 2009-09-30 at 10:07.