Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
What was the background story?
There was a thread, started by chenliangchen, where Chen said he had met with a friend(? acquaintance?) in China and the said friend ended up producing a full set of production plans (blueprints, PCB design, the lot) for the Jolla tablet, salvaged from the failed original production. I could not find that thread any more when I searched for it this morning.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There was a thread, started by chenliangchen, where Chen said he had met with a friend(? acquaintance?) in China and the said friend ended up producing a full set of production plans (blueprints, PCB design, the lot) for the Jolla tablet, salvaged from the failed original production. I could not find that thread any more when I searched for it this morning.
I think it was actually this thread (I do remember some related April 1st comments last year). The original story seems to be edited out, dunno if the edit-history is stored / accessible somewhere here. If not, the web archive records might help with the flashbacks http://web.archive.org/web/201707100...ad.php?t=99214

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Thanks for the web.archive link. That original version supports my comment a few posts earlier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wolda View Post
I think it was actually this thread (I do remember some related April 1st comments last year). The original story seems to be edited out, dunno if the edit-history is stored / accessible somewhere here. If not, the web archive records might help with the flashbacks http://web.archive.org/web/201707100...ad.php?t=99214
Funny, I thought a forum is supposed to store every post?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
There is no use for tablets
Speak for yourself!

There's a reason there are different standard sizes of paper, instead of everything being printed on A4.

Different content is suited to different screen sizes.

Just one example: I wouldn't want to read a textbook on my 5" phone (too small to be comfortable), and I don't want to read on a laptop/desktop because it's in the way/not so portable.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Thanks for the web.archive link. That original version supports my comment a few posts earlier.
I had the same impression as you did. And that's why I backed this project. Not because I needed a tablet. I had tried Jolla tablet, and I wasn't too happy about it. Mainly because the battery drained fast even when not in use, and because Intel processor does not seem to be a good fit for mobile devices and I'd much prefer ARM based solution. I backed it because I thought chen was part of it and I wanted to give support for such bold endeavour. If I had known the full picture I probably would not have backed it out of scepticism.

But to make sure, I hold nothing against chen for this debacle. I trust he does his best. It's just a bummer to lose money twice on that tablet, since on the original Jolla round I donated what I had invested to Jolla.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Speak for yourself!
I am. Who here isn't?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bocephus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Chen never said he was part of this project. He always stated that he met some guy that was involved in it and would try to help who might want a tablet. He said from the beginning that he was too involved in the QWERTY project to embrace something else. I'm absolutely sure that if he knew this project would go wrong he would have never involved in it so stop blaiming him for trying something that no one else did.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Unfortunate turn of events; does not bode well for the backers.

I won't center blame on Chen; however it seems as if better communication from the start was the request and it never truly happened.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
There is no use for tablets
I agree in general however 7" is something I can actually find some use for. I have old samsung GT-P6800 which I still can find some use for at certain occasions. So 7" device to me is an exception. mainly because it still fits a pocket on one hand and is already big enough to use as conventional (but ultramobile) desktop at some occasions. Similar form-factor with linux on board is something which may (might) extend the use of the device from occasional to everyday (again, just for me).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruff For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os