Thanks guys, decided to get a eee pc,

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SOLIDUS View Post
Sorry Hedgecore, I disagree. (Of course, it's all up to what the user needs.) For example, installing minimo onto the 770 makes the browsing experience so much smoother. (Primarily because it's more updated and more ajax friendly.)
*shudder*

Minimo? You're kidding . . . right?

Trust me, having extensively used both machines. The N8x0s are lightyears ahead of the 770.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Soldius: Speaking from specs alone, anything done on the 770 applied on the N800, the N800 will be faster.

I'm not sure the original poster was thinking in the context of hacking the hell out of either new tablet either.

(My sister just got an N800 and I finally got to hold one. For a few minutes I actually thought about buying one but I think I'll still hold out for Stage 5.)

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Minimo? You're kidding . . . right?
I must be.

That's true Hedgecore. But the question also is, will the N770 do what the OP wants it to do? If it is, then I'd purchase the N770 and save the extra 80-100+ dollars.

But in the long run, that might be a bad idea. The 770 has an extremely weak processor. The N800 has 400mhz after the OS2008 update unlike the measly 250mhz the N770 has. So the N800 will age nicer and play better with new websites.

So I suppose the N800 would be the best choice.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
So now I find I am in the situation where I could upgrade to a N800. Is it a must have upgrade from the 770 or not?

I upgraded the 770 to 2007HE, and apart from the wireless no longer working and the change of image, I really can't see that much of a change (well, other than I can use the official version of aisle riot rather than my own compiled one). Is it just the speed, and the upgrading to 2008 processor speed, does that reduce battery life?

I also (as I stated before) really love the form factor of the 770, especially the cover, and not a great fan of the 800. So I guess I need a reason that outweighs a design without a built in screen cover.

Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
So now I find I am in the situation where I could upgrade to a N800. Is it a must have upgrade from the 770 or not?
120% yes!

Is it just the speed, and the upgrading to 2008 processor speed, does that reduce battery life?
Speed is a big part of it . . . a really big part of it, it's also more storage (2GB rs-mmc versus two 32GB SDs ) and RAM, and a better screen. The OS2008 update introduces frequency scaling (between 165MHz and 400MHz), so battery life is more variable and dependent on how you use it. If it's a lot of very light use, your battery life will be a little better than OS2007, if it's a lot heavy use, it'll be a little worse.

For most users, though, it's a very small net gain in battery life.

I also (as I stated before) really love the form factor of the 770, especially the cover, and not a great fan of the 800. So I guess I need a reason that outweighs a design without a built in screen cover.
Kickstand > Hardcover

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Um, the processor is twice as fast, the overall performace is more than twice. Video has the same performance, however mplayer starts faster .

You have twice the memory, which makes for a BIG difference - you can open ten browser windows in OS2008 without much of a hassle, on OS2008HE maybe two before the slowdown. Of course you can open more on OS2007HE opera, but the NIT Opera is quite limited experience.

+ You have radio Not that i use it.

I think i'm missing more things... 2xSDHC cards, 2xinternal flash (not enough too You can even play flash, though not very good.

Maybe someone can add more, but the things i mentioned are more than a reason for me to upgrade...

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Video has the same performance, however mplayer starts faster
Lies! My N800 plays way more stuff (and at much higher resolutions and bitrates) than my 770s.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yeah, it can go different resolutions, but its not too much better (read at least 640x480). ;P

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
ok, the speed without sacrificing battery life are good things I am interested in.
Not so worried about video, apart from flash, as music and video playing are handled by the iPod (and I happy with it that way).
I like the stand idea too (especially as I have a bluetooth keyboard. Is the 2008 upgrade a free one?

Do you mean there is a hardcover included or do you have to buy one? That is one of the things I like on the 770, the integrated hard cover (especially as it puts it to sleep).