Active Topics

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
What someone really needs to do is develop mobile modems that communicate to client devices via Bluetooth DUN, Bluetooth PAN, and/or act as Wifi access points (low power is fine, since it's not intended to serve your entire house). Put an internal battery in it, a USB interface solely for manipulating config files (presents itself to the host as a hard drive), and that's it. Then you don't have to worry about which OS it has drivers for, because it's going to be entirely based on standard communication protocols.
That would be good (something like one of the pocket wi-fi adapters with this thing included, for example).
For now I'm going the route with an HSDPA USB modem plugged into a wi-fi router with USB ports, which works just fine, but to set it up is still a bit more work than plug&go to get it working initially. It's not a mobile solution though (in any case you would have to carry a power source for the power-sucking usb modem as well as the wi-fi part, if you would want it as a mobile solution).

Originally Posted by RioT View Post
So with the usb OTG is usb netorking now possible?
Is OTG really needed for that? As far as I know usb networking has been working all the time (with the proper software installed). But I haven't tried it myself yet.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Can I use an USB network module (Twisted Pair/RJ45 connector) with N810? So it would be the perfect and small gadget for testing network connections. Now I use a laptop...

Thank you

@slha89: I don't know exactly what your USB network module does.. is it a USB/Ethernet interface? If so, then the N810 would need to be able to support a USB network adapter in its micro-USB slot. It would presumably have to be not just in OTG mode, but in powered host mode too. And you would need a converter cable for USB to micro-USB, if that was combined with power injection then maybe.. of course you would need the USB driver module for the kernel too.

If the use case described above is what you meant to do (checking networks by connecting to Ethernet via RJ45), then I would instead simply bring along my pocket wi-fi adapter.. I plug it into any RJ45 Ethernet, and it's set up to give me a wi-fi AP which my N800 can connect to. Then I'm on the network. The only configuration I would have to worry about would be if the tested network provides DHCP or not, because I would have to manually configure the pocket adapter if it needs a static IP.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Personally, I'd be more interested in reading multiple card formats (SD, MMC in various sizes), which the N810 isnt capable of. (High capacity flash storage is nice, but usually I need to transfer data from one device to another which is most easily done by exchanging the memory cards.)

Does USB OTG help me here? Are there card readers that could be connected to the N810 and accessed from the file manager?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
This device says "USB OTG" and "Card reader", but it's a little more complex than that (two sources for the same device, with slightly different descriptions):

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote....vid=1447&src=F

http://www.directron.com/330100.html

It has a full host of card readers (CF I & II, SD, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Smart Media, Micro Drive, and XD (with a CF to XD adaptor). It has 2 USB A connectors for attaching USB HD's directly, and then, even without connecting to a PC, you can transfer files from disk to disk, disk to card, and/or (I think) card to card.

It also has a USB B connector to attach to a PC, so you can also use the device as a plain card reader.

That's what I glean from the description. It has internal power (3 AAA batteries), for use when it's doing non-PC file transfers. It seems like it'd be useful even if it doesn't exactly directly attach to the N810 ... Worst case, you could attach an N800 and/or N810 to the USB B ports, and treat them like dumb storage for transferring files around.

I might get one next month and play with it. If I do, I'll post back here about it.

Just googling "Aleratec 330100" found it at a few stores.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hi all:

I'm new to the forum, but have been trying to port Audacity to Maemo since late 2005. I'm NOT a programmer, so it's a slow process, and the 770 (and early Maemo) made the task impossible, but the new hardware, Chinook, and OS2008 seem to offer some hope. So... would it be possible to attach a quality USB microphone to the tablets now (using a USB OTG cable and micro plug adapter)? My other options are Bluetooth (not much decent hardware available for broadcast-level audio) and using a separate device for audio capture (Edirol R-09, Zoom H2/H4) and moving the card to the IT.

Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
So is there a way to use this usb evdo modem with the new usb functionality

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/20/v...-do-usb-modem/
i'd love to know the answer to this question as well.

I reserve the right to be dead wrong:

There's no way a USB EVDO modem will be able to power itself off of the N800's USB-OTG port. The N810 may provide that much power, but it's extremely unlikely.

Once USB-OTG catches on, I would expect to see compatible self-powered modems. USB-OTG is useful for low-power or no-power devices only --- it gives you host mode and gives you that little bit of power you need to activate the client device.

Read up on the 770 Host Mode docs for more details.

Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
Hi all:

I'm new to the forum, but have been trying to port Audacity to Maemo since late 2005. I'm NOT a programmer, so it's a slow process, and the 770 (and early Maemo) made the task impossible, but the new hardware, Chinook, and OS2008 seem to offer some hope. So... would it be possible to attach a quality USB microphone to the tablets now (using a USB OTG cable and micro plug adapter)? My other options are Bluetooth (not much decent hardware available for broadcast-level audio) and using a separate device for audio capture (Edirol R-09, Zoom H2/H4) and moving the card to the IT.
Eventually you'll be able to connect a USB microphone to the IT, although it will require a powered hub. That said, high-quality (48khz 24-bit) recording is way, way beyond what the N800 can process without the DSP getting in on it.

I would say separate device is your best bet.

The Following User Says Thank You to aleksandyr For This Useful Post: