I had some issues with Nokia's order system and my order showing up as "cancelled", which I've had good luck getting resolved through Nokia support. I'd like to report my experiences in the hopes that they might help others get their order issues resolved as well.

I pre-ordered my N900 on September 5, and I also ordered the Nokia Care extended warranty. I checked on the status of the order periodically, especially since the news started coming out about phones starting to ship. Recently, I noticed that the extended warranty showed up as "cancelled", while the phone and free Bluetooth adapter still showed up as "in progress". I contacted Nokia support to try to resolve this.

A very helpful Nokia support representative explained that Nokia recently transitioned to a new order system. You can see some evidence of this on http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-...ack-your-order (or probably on the equivalent page for your country), where it says to use a different page or phone number depending on whether you ordered before or after October 12, 2009.

She stated that they want to make sure customers don't get impacted by this transition, but that the orders from the old order system will not get fulfilled until they get transferred to the new order system. She indicated that if I hadn't contacted them, they'd have re-entered my order in the new system when it came time to fulfill it, and likely contacted me at that time to provide the new order information.

She indicated that she could place the order in the new system, including the Nokia Care extended warranty, while preserving my place in the queue (such that I'll receive my phone with the other people who ordered in the first week of September). She also indicated that they have the orders from the end of August in progress right now, and that mine would get processed in the next batch (first week of September).

In the process, she said she could give me the bundle with the free $90 bluetooth dongle that they had when I'd originally ordered, or that alternatively they now had the option of a 15% discount, which would come to ~$97 off; I opted for the discount, figuring I could always buy a bluetooth dongle for that much later if I wanted one. (She suggested that some of the issues they've had with bluetooth dongles in the current firmware prompted the alternative option.) On top of that, she offered to provide express shipping for $1.

So, in short, Nokia support seems to have a good handle on this order issue. Hope that helps other people trying to get it resolved.

Edit:

While Nokia support has a good handle on the issues with the old and new order systems, they seem to have serious problems actually charging credit cards and making the new orders. They have repeatedly failed to place the order:"authorization failed" on their end, but the credit card company never received the transaction and said they'd approve it if received. Repeated contact with Nokia support has led to no resolution of this issue. Numerous reports by other people, in this thread and elsewhere, confirm this problem. Currently pursuing other avenues to get this resolved; will keep this thread updated with what I discover.

Edit 2:

Got a call from Nokia Support today, claiming the issue should get resolved in the next 24 hours. Expecting a call tomorrow.

Edit 3:

Everything resolved now, expecting my N900 soon. I got contacted by someone from Nokia's priority support system, and the issues got resolved very quickly at that point. They cleared the incorrect "fraud" flag, I placed an order via Nokia's website, I gave them the order number, and they said they'd do the appropriate poking to give it the same priority as my original September pre-order (and see if they could apply any other discounts).

Based on this and the many other threads and reports regarding this problem, I specifically asked what I could suggest to the other people in this situation. The person I spoke with just suggested that the "fraud" flag should get cleared automatically in 3-5 business days, or that in theory it can get explicitly removed (as she ensured in my case). Hope that helps people get this issue resolved.

Edit 4:

Ordered Monday, shipped Tuesday, should arrive Wednesday, tracking via FedEx now. :)

Last edited by josh; 2009-12-09 at 08:30. Reason: Update status

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to josh For This Useful Post:
NOSUK doesn't even have the Order support, just one big fat Customer Service button to Nokia Care where they answer everything.

Why is NOSUS customer so good? NOSUK is just terrifying.

Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
NOSUK doesn't even have the Order support, just one big fat Customer Service button to Nokia Care where they answer everything.

Why is NOSUS customer so good? NOSUK is just terrifying.
I just checked the Nokia UK site, and found this page for order status: https://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/lo...&culture=en-GB , which suggests that you can log in to view your order status. I also found the customer service FAQ at http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/ser...?culture=en-GB , which lists the phone number 0800 331 0621 for ordering, and the phone number 0845 0455555 for Nokia Care. Perhaps one of those would help you?

I have talked to NOKIA USA about this pre / post October 12th issue 4 times. I have spoken to two supervisors and a manager as well. I was not able to keep the Nokia Care extended warranty at the original price or the overnight shipping from my original order. I was assured that my place in line would not be lost by having to reorder.

I spoke to two supervisors and the manager about the Nokia Care extended warranty. Originally I ordered it for $19.99. In the new order system they wanted $49.99. Both supervisors said it could not be done. The Manager said she had sent a discount code to an agent who would call me back to add the warranty to my order. It has been 3 days I have not received that call. I called back yesterday to ask about adding the warranty and was alternately told that it could not be done because the system would not accept it or that doing so would delay shipment of my phone.

Also the supervisors and manager were very concerned about adding additional authorizations to my credit card. I assume they must be having a lot of problems getting an additional authorization where they already have 2 or more.

Several times NOKIA USA staff referred to a paper or printed list of the preorders and that they would need to find my name on that list to tell me when my phone would be shipped.

I think it is likely that the stock of N900s has been held up for days and likely will be for many more days while Brightpoint manually determines who to ship to then contacts that person to create a new order and then finally ships.

Also the order status page for post October 12th orders does not work. I have informed 5 NOKIA USA staff about this.

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I have talked to NOKIA USA about this pre / post October 12th issue 4 times. I have spoken to two supervisors and a manager as well. I was not able to keep the Nokia Care extended warranty at the original price or the overnight shipping from my original order. I was assured that my place in line would not be lost by having to reorder.

I spoke to two supervisors and the manager about the Nokia Care extended warranty. Originally I ordered it for $19.99. In the new order system they wanted $49.99. Both supervisors said it could not be done. The Manager said she had sent a discount code to an agent who would call me back to add the warranty to my order. It has been 3 days I have not received that call. I called back yesterday to ask about adding the warranty and was alternately told that it could not be done because the system would not accept it or that doing so would delay shipment of my phone.
The cost of the Nokia Care extended warranty did indeed go up from $19.99 to $49.99; they had a special on it before, and no longer do. However, the 15% discount I received more than offset that difference, such that I still ended up paying ~60 less than before.

As for the shipping, the representative I spoke with had no problem providing express shipping rather than standard shipping, for just $1.

Between that and the issues you've had attempting to get the warranty, it sounds like you might need to talk to a different representative.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ oakland, california
i preordered on #
# Order Placed: 09/07/2009 05:20:05 PM

i have yet to receive a call from nokiausa. does that mean my pre order is still intact?

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Just wait until they try to process your re-order and your credit card is declined - not by the bank, but by Nokia's fraud prevention system. FYI, they won't attempt to re-order until your old order is cancelled, so you're left with no order when this happens.

I've been trying to get my new order in all week, still no progress. Apparently when this happens there is no override, you wait 3 business days and try again. If you try to order (via phone or online) within the 3 day window, it extends to 10 business days. It's also not just based on your credit card, but your name, shipping address, billing address, phone number, etc. If any one value is flagged as fraud-ish, any order with that info will decline. I'm willing to bet that borrowing someone else's identity and actually committing real fraud would get the fscking order in sooner than Nokia can figure out why I look like a criminal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rewt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Originally Posted by kin900 View Post
i preordered on #
# Order Placed: 09/07/2009 05:20:05 PM

i have yet to receive a call from nokiausa. does that mean my pre order is still intact?
Doubtful. Of course, you're likely to end up without an order intact even if they DO call. Someone in upper management really made a bad call when they made the decision to switch ordering systems in the middle of this pre-order, so there are problems left, right, and center.

Josh - What kind of card did you use? I've tried it with an Amex and Visa bank card and they decline both of them (even though both companies say I'm good). My 3 days are up today, so I'm going to try again tomorrow for the 3rd time. I pre-ordered Sept 7th.