Posts: 150 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I removed the # from the squeeze in /etc/apt/sources.list
and did an apt-get dist-upgrade -f
Then I did the pulseaudiohack to get sound
and the sudo synchroot to get the keyboard working in lxde
I installed vlc witch is in version 1.04 and it worked.
So now I run squeeze and have sound and lxde.
openoffice working
qtnx working (no sound)
rdesktop working
vlc working
iceweasel working

Last edited by hstende; 2010-02-16 at 09:59.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by aechelon View Post
Audacious has a built-in eq. The boot log indicates that the segfault occurs while loading /usr/lib/audacious/Input/adplug.so. Moving adplug.so out of the way worked for me with no obvious side-effects.
I tried to use the EQ in audacious, but the audo starts skipping horribly as soon as I turn it on! What's your experience?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
For the pulseaudio hack -- maybe there is a way to use debian pinning to keep the old version?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I tried to use the EQ in audacious, but the audo starts skipping horribly as soon as I turn it on! What's your experience?
I noticed the same thing. Top says Audacious is chewing up ~50% of the CPU and pulseaudio is eating another ~30%. Between the two my CPU is pegged, so I'm guessing any additional load (like pre-filtering the audio through the EQ) causes the audio to skip.

I see the same skipping effect by starting a couple of other desktop apps (Gkrellm, vncviewer).

By comparison, CPU usage for lxmusic is in the 15% range with PulseAudio still eating roughly 30%. The native N900 media player uses <10% and pulseaudio doesn't spike at all.

Using that much CPU to play music in the background leaves little room for running other apps, which defeats the whole purpose of running a full desktop on the N900...

I'm going to download sources for pulseaudio and profile what's going on (money says there's a busy wait in there).

Last edited by aechelon; 2010-02-17 at 05:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aechelon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Update 22-Jan-2010:

The two essential Easy Debian packages (easy-chroot and easy-deb-chroot) are now in the Fremantle Extras repository!

Now that I've got Easy Debian into Extras, I have pushed the next versions of the two packages to Extras-testing. Please install, test, and vote.
The new version
easy-deb-chroot_0.9.39-1fremantle1_armel.deb
is now in Extras, I noticed. Does this also install a new Debian image? @qole: Perhaps an update to the first posting of this thread would be useful to give a hint what upgrading implies - this thread is so long by now that it's quite difficult to remain up-to-date! Some time ago, I've inserted a bit of what I've learnt from here into http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian, perhaps more competent users could do so, too?

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah View Post
oh and one more thing... this definatelt executes at least some stuff faster than maemo. dosbox for instance, had win3.1 installed as a proof of concept thing. ran verrrrry slow under maemo but when i fired it up in lxde it was so much faster perhaps even 3 or 4 times more responsive!
I tried to install Dosbox from Synaptic package manager, however it failed to download the 6th and 7th package (404 error). is there another way to install Dosbox in lxde? Thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
aechelon & awwaiid: I can't seem to hold back the pulseaudio packages, too many Squeeze apps depend on the .21 libraries. I wouldn't be surprised if my hack (swapping in some of the .15 client libraries) is causing the problem.

megaexer: If you are getting 404 errors, it means you need to download the package list again. You can do this from Synaptic by choosing Edit -> Reload Package Information.

I'm going to start adding these things to the wiki when I can. I just added the above advice to "Installing Applications".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Just installed, took 40 minutes to extract and install with debian-m5-v2.img.ext2.bz2. No complaint, just want to tell you.

However isnt it possible to some of that on the pc?

edit.

A good tip, if you are searching for a package you know the name of in synaptic make sure you select 'search name only' much much faster

Last edited by arono; 2010-02-17 at 18:26.

It worked, a simple one. Thanks qole.

installed dosbox 0.73 in easy-debian but i am having trouble getting any sound.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze