I'd like to have a link to the "Phone" application on every desktop, but once I've added any shortcut to a single desktop it is no longer available to be added.

Thus two questions -- first, what is a general technique I can use for this? On other gnome desktops I could add extra hand-made .desktop files to ~/.local/share/applications/, but I couldn't find something like this in maemo5.

Second, I couldn't actually find the .desktop that defines the "Phone" shortcut anyway (looking around in /usr/share/applications/... I found others but not Phone).

Thanks!

(links to existing docs/wiki that I didn't find are welcome)

OK, I believe that the dialer app shortcut is hildon-rtcom-call-ui.desktop . I actually don't have the device in front of my again until tomorrow, and then I'll confirm, and if so describe how to duplicate shortcuts (which is basically just duplicating the .desktop file and modifying some stuff).

You realize you can just press the power button and a shortcut to the phone pops up no matter where you are?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Didn't notice, I'll have to see if that satisfied that part of the problem. Thanks

--Brock

Originally Posted by awwaiid View Post
I'd like to have a link to the "Phone" application on every desktop, but once I've added any shortcut to a single desktop it is no longer available to be added.
This was what I was planning to do before I got the phone but then when I got it discovered when you use a short cut once you can't use it again. I am interested to hear if there was a way around it.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
This was what I was planning to do before I got the phone but then when I got it discovered when you use a short cut once you can't use it again. I am interested to hear if there was a way around it.
Yep, there is a work-around (though perhaps there is a better way). Find the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/* and copy it. Then edit it and change the name (and comment). I suggest you restart your desktop at this point (it can get confused as it is constantly refreshing this directory, I believe). Now you should be able to add yoru #2 to your desktop