Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
is anyone having problems running ssh in the new ubuntu 8.10? Before, everything worked fine, but now it says that the display can not be found and stuff. I am not trying to x-forward, just use normal ssh to control the computer! I WANT it to run on the server, not the nokia, but nothing works.

$ ssh -l name@ip firefox
cannot find display (or something like that)

I have dsa keys already setup, and they work...

Nothing works, but I have not tried cmd line apps yet... It would be great if i could get the auto connect to work...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ France
There was problem with somes keys,
look at your host messages (/var/log/auth i guess)
if you get a message like
48:de:55:22:xx:yy:zz:yy:xx:yy:zz:yy::88:e8:87:47 blacklisted (see ssh-vulnkey(1))
that's you need to re-create your key on client and re-send on host.

Kytrix

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
is anyone having problems running ssh in the new ubuntu 8.10? Before, everything worked fine, but now it says that the display can not be found and stuff. I am not trying to x-forward, just use normal ssh to control the computer! I WANT it to run on the server, not the nokia, but nothing works.

$ ssh -l name@ip firefox

Nothing works, but I have not tried cmd line apps yet... It would be great if i could get the auto connect to work...
Try ssh -l user@ip DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
is anyone having problems running ssh in the new ubuntu 8.10? Before, everything worked fine, but now it says that the display can not be found and stuff. I am not trying to x-forward, just use normal ssh to control the computer!

$ ssh -l name@ip firefox

Nothing works, but I have not tried cmd line apps yet...
You realize that if you don't use X-Forwarding, you can only do command line apps, right? Graphical apps require X-Forwarding or VNC.

Unless... you're trying to start an application from the ssh command line, and have it run on your primary computer's display?

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-04 at 17:44.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ France
maybe he just want to launch firefox on remote computer Xorg ...

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Unless... you're trying to start an application from the ssh command line, and have it run on your primary computer's display?
Exactly. I have no idea why this is not working. I'll try some stuff like the DISPLAY and see what happens.

But, does anyone use the new ubuntu and have these problems? Is it to do with the new Xorg configuration (or lack thereof)?
Code:
ssh thesandlord@172.16.10.13
Linux thesandlord-desktop 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Thu Oct 30 04:18:38 UTC 2008 i686

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/
Last login: Mon Nov  3 19:37:49 2008 from 172.16.10.50
thesandlord@thesandlord-desktop:~$ firefox
Error: no display specified
thesandlord@thesandlord-desktop:~$ rhythmbox
Cannot open display:
Run 'rhythmbox --help' to see a full list of available command line options.
thesandlord@thesandlord-desktop:~$
It also looks like 8.10 hates static IP, so now my internet is broken. Back to 8.04 for me...

Edit: I don't want to hijack this thread, and I don't think its a tablet problem, so...

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-11-04 at 20:42.

No, it has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

I told you:

DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox

Now, listen.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kytrix View Post
There was problem with somes keys,
look at your host messages (/var/log/auth i guess)
if you get a message like
48:de:55:22:xx:yy:zz:yy:xx:yy:zz:yy::88:e8:87:47 blacklisted (see ssh-vulnkey(1))
that's you need to re-create your key on client and re-send on host.

Kytrix
Hmm the only file in /var/log/ is crontab.

I guess I'll check if logging is enabled in sshd_config. Don't know why I'm doing all this hehe.. I still gotta plug in the bluetooth dongle into my laptop when I wanna use it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The DISPLAY worked, even though it is horribly slow... Due to a number of problems, im switching back to 8.04 or Mint, in which Bluemaemo work perfectly, ssh did not need all this complicated stuff, networking actually allowed static IP...

8.10 just came out. Give it some time. Any new software release has rough edges. 8.10 (+ GNOME) also has some issues with BlueTooth. People report issues with suspend to RAM (I can confirm).

If you SSH into a computer it should not have a DISPLAY variable set. You have to do this manually. It should not be horribly slow, and this shouldn't have anything to do with SSH because the command is running remotely. Does it work fast when you run the application local? If you put ssh -fXT user@ip DISPLAY=:0.0 $1 in script.sh, chmod +x, and then ./script.sh firefox you have no TTY is assigned and the command is forked into the background. It then runs remotely, and shows on remote screen.

If you'd add the -X flag to the ssh command you'd run it local without assigning TTY, forking in background. You can also add -C for compression (but overhead on lil NIT might or might not be worth it; I don't know).

You can also run QtNX a client for running remote X applications with low latency, heavy compression, and resuming on the server. Its like a 'screen for X' with the speed of RDP.

Latter 2 are for showing the application on the NIT running the app remotely.

PS: If you run nothing on the remote computer except a plain X server with no apps running, and you fire up Firefox, a lot of libraries have to be loaded. This takes some time. If you'd already run GNOME (with GTK2, and a lot of other libraries) many of these libraries are already loaded. [This is only true for shared libraries; but that is the case here.]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-11-05 at 15:57. Reason: added PS

Tags
bluemaemo, bluetooth, hid