Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Is this sponsorship like... all expenses paid or something? Sorry, I can't say I've looked into this all that much yet.. anyone fill me in?

I'm hoping to attend OSiM and attend Ari's keynote as well as attend the other keynotes and sessions.

I'm arriving Tuesday the 16th, around noon: http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2008/Travel

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Is this sponsorship like... all expenses paid or something? Sorry, I can't say I've looked into this all that much yet.. anyone fill me in?
It covers OSiM World registration, round trip travel to Berlin, and accommodations. It doesn't cover travel within Berlin or meals. There are more details on the Maemo Summit 2008/Sponsorship wiki page.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-07-16 at 19:38. Reason: Adding link to OSiM World site

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I will probably get directly for the Summit and by train. I also have no idea how to search or register for accommodations in Berlin though.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I also have no idea how to search or register for accommodations in Berlin though.
No me neither, I guess I'll trust to the wiki and/or Lonely Planet or something. As much as I like adventure, I'm not 21 anymore, so a bunk bed in a hostel just isn't enough for me anymore...

EDIT: Nokia, sponsor Tim Samoff, I want to meet him, and compare beer preferences with him, too!

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-16 at 19:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Nokia, sponsor Tim Samoff...
They are doing so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, you can PM all the people on that list (I can do just did that, actually...) but there are some people who've made major contributions that don't hang out on here.
Thanks a bunch for that PM Benson ! I had managed to miss that thread altogether...

I'm flattered that I'm still on Quim's list of "rock stars" despite having being very discreet over here since early this year... mostly out of work overload, sadly. Things have been pretty hectic lately and I've kind of burn out.

I still visit ITT daily at least, but due to the sustained high level of activity I barely skim through the new posts to keep in touch and get an idea of what's happening. It's a kind of self-inflicted torture though, because I see a lot of great stuff go by with no time or energy left to try it out... haven't even flashed Diablo yet, let alone all that's coming in from qwerty12 or Qole or others... KDE, debian, Android, rotation, specialty kernels and whatnot. Sigh...

Although living almost net door I haven't been to Germany in quite a while, and never to Berlin, so I'd really love to grab the chance and be on another planet for a while. Obviously I'll have to confirm that with my job schedule first though... and family :-)

Also, as many here, I do wonder what sort of a contribution I could make there. After all I'm not a Linux hacker, nor a prolific porter, not even a real coder... just a user with a really big mouth (and not quite the biggest either :-)

I do have a small idea however, so if all the other problems clear up all the way to Berlin, that wouldn't be a showstopper.

Anyway, whatever happens, many thanks to Quim for the offer (and for organizing the whole shebang, which must be quite some task :-), and to you for the heads-up !

fpp

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
OK, I received that PM reminder from Benson, and my only question is: Why?
Why wasn't my name taken off that list the moment it popped up? Why does anyone think I could bring a useful contribution? I don't program, I don't port, I don't blog, I frankly don't even know how I got all these thanks.
So unless you really -- and I mean really -- need someone on that summit to continually b*tch about Nokia and what they did wrong with the Itablet platform, or someone to ask incessant questions on when we're going to get true HWR on the N800, I'm gonna pass...
Oh come on Karel... surely you speak some German ? I still remember the whole of "Die Lorelei" from my high school days... maybe we could do a duet on that ? But mostly we need you to DRINK BEER WITH, man !
'nuff said :-)

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Well, I went ahead and registered despite my maemo profile showing that I have a negative 108 karma. Looking at the karma system, it seems some people are more personal than topical when it comes to voting things down and I know I have two or three anti-fans doing this.

I noticed the same thing with other users, too. This user's post has a thumbs-down from someone though it is clearly pertinent to the Internet tablets and I've noticed that feed has other targeted thumbs-down.

In Internet Tablet related posts (excluding those that are clearly unrelated to the maemo community,) here's the trend I see:
  • If it's an alternative Linux distro (debian, android) but is on the internet tablets, some people give it thumbs-down.
  • If it's for the tablets but closed source (like some INdT products) a few people give it thumbs-down
  • If it is about commercial applications, some people give it thumbs-down.
  • If it's by certain people regardless of content, some people give it thumbs-down.

I wish I knew who those people were. I'd give them a thumb-down T-shirt and a mirror and hope they get lost in that little world.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
I wish I knew who those people were. I'd give them a thumb-down T-shirt and a mirror and hope they get lost in that little world.
It's a news rating system, if somebody doesn't like a story they thumb it, if they don't like the submitter they thumb it, if they don't like the subject they thumb it. Who cares?

Who put you in charge of deciding which opinions should be allowed?

Personally, I'd have to wear karma like that like a badge of pride.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-07-16 at 21:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org