Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hold on gang-- I'm somewhat associated with maemo-guru... I'll discuss any discrepancies with rcadden. I'm sure he won't want to be inaccurate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have no doubt that Ricky wants to be accurate but when you stop following what's going on for the last year or so... you should at least make sure you get things right the first time around when you come back.

You being a part of it is going to be a big help to that. It just gives me a bad taste in my mouth when I see stuff reported inaccurately (and he's far from the only one to do so within the last day or so).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
There's been a lot of noise about the product... it'll settle out soon.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I have no doubt that Ricky wants to be accurate but when you stop following what's going on for the last year or so... you should at least make sure you get things right the first time around when you come back.
After seeing so many disparaging remarks from Ricky Cadden about Maemo and the tablets in the past, it's just mildly irksome that he sacrificed research time and accuracy in his rush back to Maemo now that the winds have changed. His self-appointed "Guru" title does set the bar high, after all.

He's a good guy, and I'm sure he'll make the appropriate corrections, immerse himself in the technology and community, and over time, become a real benefit to all, but there are far bigger "Gurus" in this community right now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm sure he won't want to be inaccurate.
We'll, he's certainly not interested in my corrections.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Ricky is highly passionate about Nokia products, and felt let down (as many here have, including those commenting) by certain mistakes and omissions. His passion has been reinvigorated by the refresh of the product line. This should come as no surprise, and there's no reason to be so cynical IMO.

Let's please not turn this into a blogger bashing exercise, okay? Wouldn't it be better to target your critcisms at the relaunched site's comments section instead of here?

EDIT: he is making corrections

http://www.maemo-guru.com/2009/08/no...0-with-maemo5/

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-28 at 16:39.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Between Tablet Blog, Brighthand, Maemo-Guru and a few other sites, some of the non-techie blog approach to the Maemo knowledge and involvement could be brokered differently.

Instead of just there being a Maemo channel, the official one (Nokia Conversations perhaps) for news, there would be a "News Around Maemo" page that is able to aggreate those stories already published around the blogsphere.

In this way, Maemo is taking the idea that makes the OS and platform popular (sharing and collaboration) and pushing that into the news arena. It would fit within the branding of the platform to approach news/announcements like this as well - which is different enough from the way other sites pull together content that it could change things

Within that system, there should/would be an editor or two who'd tag relevant posts here and abroad, and those would be the items appearing on the Maemo News page.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Odd... I don't see a "Thanks" link on ARJWright's post...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Odd... I don't see a "Thanks" link on ARJWright's post...
I first thought that was possibly a swipe... but you're right, I don't see it there either. Strange.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
I've not seen a thanks link on anyone's posts in a few days; no biggie though, I like the discussion (and thanks for the implied thanks).

EDIT: Fixed, my email address change earlier in the week was unverified. That's addressed now and the button should be there for all.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2009-08-28 at 16:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org