Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Well with Leste coming along well maybe the dev will change their mind or maybe it will be easier to port?

Always sad when software support ends on Maemo. But like you said it understandable.

x
Going forward only the Qt 5 based GUI makes sense, so as long as Maemo Leste can provide:
  • support for running Qt 5 QML apps based on Qt Quick Controls 2
  • reasonably new Python 3 (say 3.6+)
  • PyOtherSide (should be trivial to build if the above two are available)
Then modRana should be able to run just fine, the same way it runs now on a regular Linux desktop, which easily satisfies these requirements.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
For anyone interested support for N900 has ended.
https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/pull/287
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, or maybe I'm just nitpicking, but to me it looks like GTK2 support is ending, not N900 support?
AFAICS Qt can work on Fremantle, python updates are possible too...

I have only recently installed ModRana on N900 (Maemo Fremantle), so I am one of the users still interested.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
I am also still interested.
Btw a question, a bit on the side:
I can't use online routing any more on n900's modrana. I guess it is normal, but in the doubt...

thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Using. N900 main device.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding something, or maybe I'm just nitpicking, but to me it looks like GTK2 support is ending, not N900 support?
AFAICS Qt can work on Fremantle, python updates are possible too...

I have only recently installed ModRana on N900 (Maemo Fremantle), so I am one of the users still interested.
Interesting! It is nice to see some more recent attempts at Python 3 support on Maemo 5. There are unfortunately still some issues that are really preventing from this being used by modRana:
- an intepretter is not enough as you also need various Python libraries to be rebuilt against the new interpretter, such as those used to get GPS data or to control display blanking
- a reasonably modern Qt 5 version would be needed, say 5.9 - not sure how far efforts around this are on Maemo 5
- then you also need PyOtherSide to be built against the Python 3 intepreter and Qt 5 (this should be relatively trivial if you managed to build Python 3 and Qt 5)

Then modRana should be able to run as well as it runs on Linux desktop or on Sailfish OS devices.

But this is theory, I wonder how doable this actually is in practice - AFAIK none of these Python 3 or Qt 5 efforts are available from Extras and have to be downloaded and installed manually. Its also an open question if recent Qt 5 version will even build with the ancient Maemo 5 compilers. Also another issue could be all the extra software actually fitting to the limitted storage space on the N900, as it pretty much duplicates a lot of the existing Python and GUI stack.

So all in all quite a daunting task, but imho still worthy if someone if someone has the resources, hardware and time to attempt it. I am unfortunatelly almost certain to not have enough time to attempt it myself, but could certainly help from upstream modRana development side (eq. adding fixes to make modern modRana codebase run on updated Maemo). :-)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
I am also still interested.
Btw a question, a bit on the side:
I can't use online routing any more on n900's modrana. I guess it is normal, but in the doubt...

thanks
Online routing is actually at the moment broken in all versions - modRana used an old Google routing API that has been recently deprecated, so online routing stopped working. This is definitely one of the priority issues I want to fix to get the modRana project back into shape.

I guess this could also be a suitable thing to backport to the n900 branch, especially as offline routing options are limitted to nonexistent on the N900 due to no OSM Scout Server being available.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I was downloading the source from github to run on N900 and Ubuntu, since we last spoke here.
As for Leste I suppose if it where to find it's way on to Debian repos it would be available to a lot more people, not only Leste.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Thanks for replying, MartinK.
I guess I am happy using whatever version is available for the N900; I'd actually like to use it fully offline, offline routing is still possible with some server running locally?
But even so, routing is not my main concern, I mostly just need the maps & metadata (POIs, public transport etc.).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
So just a heads up for those already on Sailfish OS 3.3 EA - modRana is currently not starting on SFOS 3.3 due to Python 3 being upgraded (to 3.8.1) and modRana using some functionality that has been deprecated in Python 3.8.

The fix does not look hard & there should be a fixed version in the next day or two.

(First reported: https://together.jolla.com/question/...-not-starting/ & in Jolla store comment)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
So in the end it was a week or two, but the fixed modRana release is here - now syncing to both Open Repos and Jolla Store.

Nothing that interesting just yet (other than modRana actually starting on SFOS 3.3+ :P) but I have been doing a lot of clean-ups related to and enabled by Python 2 & GTK2 support being dropped.

Anyone interested can check the recent commit history for all the horrendous compatibility hacks I have been cleaning up. ;-)

This combined should make fixing bugs & implementation of new features easier, not to mention enabling a reasonable test coverage & outside contributions without driving anyone insane.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps