Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Just read this article and don't know if i should be happy or sad...

https://nokiamob.net/2019/01/13/noki...s-coming-soon/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
it depends on specification of this phone and if it's possible to install different OS on it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
I think i would buy it. KaiOs is having an upgrade and it may work fine with a good hardware

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yea, I think a lot depends on whether it is closed down like a clam or open to tinkering. I just now realized that the re-released 8110 seems to use KaiOS. Maybe I should get one and dissect it to see if it can be coaxed to run a bash shell.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Would buy of decent: Browser , Mailclient, caldav/carddav, Calendar + Camera

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
I mean I would almost certainly buy it because I'm a sucker, but this feels like it would be a downgrade from the real N9. I suppose you'd have a supported/modern setup with all the right TLS and certs etc. to not be a 2nd class www citizen. But you'll still have the "app gap" (but even worse!) that was part of the problem preventing mainstream adoption of the real N9. And you'd no longer have a super-slick UI like the real N9 if the bananaphone KaiOS is anything to go by.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
a lot depends on whether it is closed down like a clam or open to tinkering
The bananaphone has the developer menu disabled by default, though you can do a magic key combo or a filesystem fiddle to bring it back, although I think Nokia didn't actually want this, so they may lock it down if they're releasing new devices. With the dev menu unlocked you get the ability to sideload PWA apps onto the device, and also get usb debug to the underlying Android bits. But I don't believe the bootloader is (or can be) unlocked, so I guess you're stuck with KaiOS.

I know it would be blasphemy round these parts, but if Nokia did re-release an N9 with a modern OS, I'd much prefer Android over KaiOS. Well, Sailfish ideally, but that ain't gonna happen.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
With upgraded HW specs (quadcore?) I'd slap sfos on it ,)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
But I don't believe the bootloader is (or can be) unlocked, so I guess you're stuck with KaiOS.
HMD Global is not strictly against unlocking.
Maybe one would have to get loud to make them concider unlocking specifically this device?
All unlockable HMD phones had android though.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
We don't even know hardware specs... Or do we?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
g*ogle assistant is available on this platform (kai), official yutube and whatap too. in my opinion kai is the next cheap andr*id with all the spying crap and Nukia n9 with kai doesnot make any sense. i wonder why HND is not sailing (sailfis) with jilla .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:

Tags
kai os, nokia n9