Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Gluz View Post
Just wondering.. does everyone at Nokia have access to those files? I'll be joining shortly and that would be nice
No, access is limited.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No, access is limited.
I haven't seen this too restricted... while I have nothing to do with Maemo program or IT platform development, or even Nokia phones!, I do have access to these files... (It just took little while to search the links to correct intranet pages... )

Any info on getting GPE to run on this thing?

I'm on the train home from work using 2008 and what strikes me the most is how fast and responsive the os is now. It's a pleasure to use.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I am not an official beta tester, just a former QA engineer for N800.
I see. Ok

Not exactly true anidel. The version you guys are flashing is not the latest build.
That's good news actually.
Don't know what has been updated or fixed, but very good news indeed.

Let's just wait for the N810 to come out.. next week then.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Colorado Springs
Not exactly true anidel. The version you guys are flashing is not the latest build.
Perhaps since the cat is "out of the bag" so to speak, Nokia should evaluate their stance on beta release software. (Probably ONLY for the Internet Tablets.)

They could decide to go ahead and release the newer builds in a manner similar to FreeBSD. (Stable, Current, and Head... or release/beta/alpha.) Actually "Current" is just "Head" at a specific point in time that is "known" to mostly work. Or at least build.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...nt-stable.html

The issue that I see is that Nokia has been treating the Internet Tablet in a manner similar to their phones. (I.e., they try to squash all bugs before releasing anything.)

BUT... these devices are generally being used by more tech-savvy people. They can leverage this user base to get testing done. For the most part people that are familiar with Linux/FreeBSD are used to the concept and understand there will be less bugs in the "Stable" version. Not all people would participate in reporting bugs... but there would be enough that WOULD participate that it could be beneficial. As long as people STICK to actual bugs. I see too many requests for new features filed as "bugs".

(BTW: I would not recommend the stable/current system for their phones... only the Internet Tablet.)

Ok I'm trying GPE from http://www.cobb.uk.net/apt/dists/chinook/experimental/

We'll see how it works..

edit: Yay, it seems to be working. Now I'm just waiting for Tahitibob to port Erminig (it installs but doesn't run).

Last edited by kyyla; 2007-11-14 at 17:13.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
... ... ...
Others have reported no FM functionality in the N810.
But will the FM radio still be available on the N800 after upgrading the firmware to OS2008?

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I haven't seen this too restricted... while I have nothing to do with Maemo program or IT platform development, or even Nokia phones!, I do have access to these files... (It just took little while to search the links to correct intranet pages... )
Limited can mean many things. In this case, not widely published. At one point that repository was temporarily unavailable, after a certain debacle here. My hope is that nothing happens to make such a thing permanent. I like testing, even "unofficially" (I do report bugs).

Originally Posted by SkwrHdz View Post
But will the FM radio still be available on the N800 after upgrading the firmware to OS2008?
Once the individual radio app supports it, yes. I haven't checked to see if it currently does or not.