Notices

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
This was my favorite game on the N810 -- thank you so much to Bundyo and Mikkov -- so I was hoping to get it working with the N900. It worked pretty well after removing the maemo-select-menu-location stuff, but tapping the upper left reacted as if the switch button had been hit, so it was impossible to get to preferences; I 'modified it' (read:set up the launch script so it would mess with the config files) so it would run in a window (you can change it to full screen, but it changes back each time you run it).

Anyway, here's my quick and hackish repackaging for the N900; you'll need all three files:

freeciv-client-sdl_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.1_armel.deb

freeciv-server_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.1_armel.deb
freeciv-data_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.2_all.deb

Last edited by ldrn; 2009-12-12 at 00:33. Reason: Updated links.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
nice work, thanks.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Thanks. A question, though:
Are they optified?

Thanks!
Corwin

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Thanks. A question, though:
Are they optified?
No, I only learned what "optified" was just now.

I'll be updating that shortly because, well... I ran out of rootfs space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
You made my day Thanks a lot for your efforts, it is very much appreciated.
Maybe you can take care to get it into the extras-devel repository (first, testing and extras later))? I am sure qwerty12 can tell you how to do that

Best regards,
Corwin

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Ah, good job. I had this on my list of games to get onto N900 but now i have one less to work on.

You can "optify" it manually or use the utility intended for the purpose. For uqm i just changed the install rules in the debian packaging to copy the files to /opt/uqm instead of /usr/* etc, and then changed the .desktop file to execute the binary in /opt/uqm instead of /usr/....

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
any chance of 2.1.10, or are you sticking to reconverting the OS2008 version?

I went with manually... duplicating all the work the utility does, I think. Symlinks, the works. Wooops. It made sense at the time, honest, although just having the desktop file look to /opt makes a lot more.

Here are optified versions of the files (data probably does not need to be updated, also I edited the post above):

freeciv-client-sdl_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.1_armel.deb

freeciv-server_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.1_armel.deb
freeciv-data_2.1.8-0maemo1.0.2_all.deb

Regarding getting it into extras and updating it -- all I did was modify the diablo version so it would run on fremantle; although I wouldn't mind helping more. I'm not trying to steal Mikkov's project or anything. It does look like 2.1.9 (and 10) have some cool new features, though, so I might try that. Mostly I just wanted Freeciv on my tablet again and didn't want to wait.

*edit* Ooops -- I mean Mikkov's! All I did was take *his version* and modify the scripts. Wow, that's embarrassing.

Last edited by ldrn; 2009-12-12 at 00:32. Reason: updated files

The Following User Says Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Mikkov stated that he has no intention of updating this for Fremantle(link), so don't fear that. I had already inquired and discovered that, so whatever you do on this is just progress on the project we all want to see done. No sense in not starting with what works, either.

I do intend on spending time getting this into extras if nobody else does, but i have a responsibility to get uqm fully ported (+universal control == accelerometer/joystick driver) first, so don't wait for me if you want to do it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
Yeah, someone should really put it on Extras-testing.

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port