Notices

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I solved it by uninstalling then re-installing Alarmed.

Since the entries made are actually a part of alarmd's setup, they were still there when Alarmed was re-installed.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Just for update: I got rid of tweakr and installed profilesx and camera lens launcher instead as suggested and they seem to work good. I configured similar profiles as I had in tweakr and named them the same, then updated alarmed and ----- alarmed just took the 'new' profiles everywhere I used them. So it was a quite transparent upgrade, given that the configured profiles still exist. Thanks for that!

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
i finally switched over too, great app !!!!!!!

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
This can be done by simply editing a single config file. (Edit /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini, look for snap_grid_size and set it to anything higher (snapping is at 4 by default)
Well.....everything could be done by editing some config file, this doesn't mean this is the best way for end users

With tweakr, people who don't use english cannot switch profiles which is a pretty bad bug imho.
False: I use tweakr with italian profile names and it works good (if you mean using latin characters or strange symbols maybe you're right I never used them so I don't know if they work)

Well if you want to stick with tweakr, just don't upgrade alarmed. To make the updater ignore alarmed updates by default, you should be able to just do

Code:
echo “alarmed hold” | dpkg --set-selections
as root from a terminal. To unhold it at any future time, do

Code:
echo “alarmed unhold” | dpkg --set-selections
I use alarmed daily and I think it's a very good program (I'm also thinking about donate some money) but the policy to remove support for other programs forcing users to install other tools is not very good IMHO.
Keep up the good work
Bye!

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by hunludvig View Post
Hi, I read all pages of the forum because it seemed me like alarmed doesn't really support complex and comfortable cron syntax. I found two persons who missed this feature and I'm missing it also, so I implemented it in function "interpretCronString". In my version you can use */n and n-m like elements and it changes the element to a normal list not to confuse other codes. Here is the diff, please take a look!
Hunludvig (and alarmed author, if you want to make these suggested edits), here's a tip for range() usage: you can include a 'step' value - you don't need to check every possible value in range(0,59) for modulus-n being 0. Thats like adding 5 by adding 1 five times - which one is better?! Hence line 236 in the alarmed_backend.py post-diff-patch resulting file can be:

Code:
min=[str(i) for i in range(0,59,n)]
instead of
Code:
min=[str(i) for i in range(0,59) if not i%n]
Same for line 256, so it could be:
Code:
hour=[str(i) for i in range(0,23,n)]
instead of
Code:
hour=[str(i) for i in range(0,23) if not i%n]
Also for line 316 (uses "range(0,6)"). I might be tempted to do other bits of code slightly differently, but this range() usage was something that looked too wasteful to me as a logic and range() usage paradigm.

Faster & less code too.

When the start of the range isn't a multiple of n, its not so simple for the later patch edit at line 296 in the post-patched version (which might yet have changed again since?). That one uses "range(1,12) if not i%n" and is not equal to "range(1,12,n)" - but because "range(0,11,n)" IS equal to "range(0,11) if not i%n", you can change the range and +1 back in after thusly (the new version is):

Code:
month=[str(i+1) for i in range(0,11,n)]

Last edited by jgbreezer; 2011-02-16 at 16:30. Reason: Make the [code] lines match, I removed the 'min=' unintentionally while copy-pasting

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Budapest
Hi Jgbreezer,
I didn't know this usage of function range(), it perfectly substitutes the code I wrote, please create a patch and post it here to be merged in the next version.

I don't know if this relates to Alarmed or alarmd:

I have commands that are executed at the top of each hour, in particular a command to play a sound file for clock chimes of that hour (soundfile with 1 chime at 1 o'clock, soundfile with 2 chimes at 2 o'clock, etc.)

Today I noticed that the commands are executing an hour earlier that I put them in last weekend. Looking at the schedule in Alarmed, they show that the command at 1 o'clock is now to play the soundfile with 2 chimes, at 2 o'clock to play the soundfile with 3 chimes, etc.)

The time is correct on my phone, the scheduling in alarmd seems to have changed.

Is this somehow related to the change to daylight savings time this coming weekend?

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
I have created a wiki.maemo page for Alarmed commands to help make everyones N900 more powerful .... if you have any cool commands please go to the wiki page http://wiki.maemo.org/ALARMED_Commands_List and add them in.

If you dont have a wiki account and cant be bothered to create one please inbox me your code and I will add it in for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I have commands that are executed at the top of each hour, in particular a command to play a sound file for clock chimes of that hour (soundfile with 1 chime at 1 o'clock, soundfile with 2 chimes at 2 o'clock, etc.)
Hey rotoflex, why not put your commands into the alarmedwiki ... see my signature.

I added play-sound to the alarmedwiki.

If anyone wants them, the sound files I use for clock chimes are at
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pzha6r

I put them all in a new directory in the N900, /home/user/MyDocs/.sound/ClockChimes and have Alarmed call them from there.

They are the "tingtang" clock chimes, which are a short chime format, & they are mixed at 45 dB down per GoldWave so that they will be soft & not blow the speakers. The filesizes seem huge, but I ran out of steam after experimenting with several attenuation levels and blew off trying to make the filesizes smaller. You can use them to turn your N900 into a mantel clock or very expensive pocketwatch.

Schedule tingtang1Q hourly at :15 after, tingtang2Q hourly at :30 after, tingtang3Q hourly at :45 after. The top of the hour (XX:00) is scheduled at that particular time daily by either tingtanghourXX or tangstrkiechordXX. I use tangstrikechordXX for the AM hours, and tingtanghourXX for the PM hours.

It uses almost no battery. Disconnected from the network and running no other programs, one weekend from 5 pm Friday until 6 am Sunday it consumed only a barely perceptible sliver of the battery graph.

The quarters are fast to set up, since they repeat hourly at their time. But all 24 of the top of the hours must be done individually so they take a while. I had hoped to write a command line application to select a soundfile, repeat hourly strikes, & allow volume adjustment, but came up bust with installation of SDK or setting environment for includes on a couple of computers.