Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just remember:

You'll have to know your external IP address from your provider, and if using a router, you'll need to forward you port to you proxxy computer's local IP address. Depending on you provider you external IP may change periodically.

if you guys want to get a squid server running within seconds, check out webmin, it gets you running in seconds. also is nice to be able to remotely access your linux box.

The Following User Says Thank You to dyce For This Useful Post:
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
From what I've read, Tmobile only blocks port 80, so email, etc should be ok. I've only played a little bit as I have wifi most times. It does work though.
Are you on their Sidekick plan or the pay-as-you-go/pay-by-the-day plan?

-jkq
Agro ... : [***-------] Relic(s) : N900

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by jkq View Post
Are you on their Sidekick plan or the pay-as-you-go/pay-by-the-day plan?

-jkq
Sidekick $1/day plan.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Sidekick $1/day is how to get data. I stay on pay-as-you-go (not the pay by the day plan) to save money unless I need data. Then a quick call to 611 and I'm on the sidekick plan for the day, and switch back before 12 midnight.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Sidekick $1/day is how to get data. I stay on pay-as-you-go (not the pay by the day plan) to save money unless I need data. Then a quick call to 611 and I'm on the sidekick plan for the day, and switch back before 12 midnight.
yes, I'm on the pay-as-you-go too. I know about switching, and that's what I do on days when I need data (which is only on days when I'm not at WiFi all the time). But I did not know about switching back before midnight. What happens after midnight? Another $1 for another day?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
yes, I'm on the pay-as-you-go too. I know about switching, and that's what I do on days when I need data (which is only on days when I'm not at WiFi all the time). But I did not know about switching back before midnight. What happens after midnight? Another $1 for another day?

Correct, the charge for each day is made at midnight (from what I've read) not based on a 24 hour window from when you switch. So if you switch at 11:58pm, it'll cost $1 and then another $1 2 minutes later. Same with the pay by the day plan. Your "day" is over at midnight, not 24 hours after the first call.

I will also add that I'm using Google Voice / Gizmo to further reduce my costs. I am in the process of giving out my google number (I have my old cell number forwarding to google). So when I get a call, it rings my N900 via Tmobile (in case I'm in the car) and also Gizmo (sip). The Gizmo call shows up on top and I answer it (when on wifi at home or work), that way it doesn't cost any minutes. I also have Google forward texts to my Tmobile number, then reply via DialCentral (thanks epage), so I only pay $0.05 for incoming texts and avoid the $0.10 sending charge when I can.

I *think* if I have 3g coverage when on the sidekick plan, I could do the same thing and avoid paying $0.15/min for voice. I haven't actually tested that though, but I did get a Gizmo call on 3g once so it may at least partly work (I tried to answer, then hung up)

Here's a link I found: link

I'm a bit of a beginner, but reading through that got me up and running in Ubuntu pretty quick. With this setup it will prompt for a name and password when you open a web page. That session should be good for the nect 2 hours with default settings.
***I don't really know how secure it is though, better than nothing though.

From what I've read, Tmobile only blocks port 80, so email, etc should be ok. I've only played a little bit as I have wifi most times. It does work though.

If you have specific questios I'll try to help. I'm currently setting up a virtual box install to better protect my system.
Would you be willing to post your /etc/squid/squid.conf?
I'm still having trouble.
I'm at the [http_access allow all] stage of the configuration process and I'm getting this error:
"Swiftweasel is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections."

How do I go about this? Create a t-mobile account? I only have the standard prepaid account. Do I need to take the sim card out of my N900 when I switch to sidekick plan? Can I it be switch back and forth to sidekick via the N900 by dialing a number or I have to log in to t-mobile account. Does this work all the time? T-mobile might recognize the imei of the N900.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you have the standard prepaid account, you should be able to go to the tmobile site and change to sidekick. You don't take the sim card out.

I have wireless at home and of course that is my default setup. On the N900, you should note in Settings / Internet connections that you have listed Connect automatically Wi-Fi, assuming you are set up that way. If you click on Connect automatically, you will get a list of options available. One of the options is T-Mobile Internet.

If you pick that option, it will use T-Mobile.

I'm going by my experience of the last couple of days so there might be complications I don't know about and luckily avoided.

It did occur to me that T-Mobile might figure out that I have a smart phone by my IMEI, but maybe they don't. I have had no problems thus far. At first I was set up for Pay by the Day, then I switched to the Sidekick option.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: