Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Where you find that dump for Evopedia? I try to find it some moths ago and I only find death links.
I have Eng Wikipedia and Eng Wikivoyage from 2013. Do you have a server I could upload it to for you?
(edit)
Not saved on internet archive, I doubt the torrent is still seeded in any case.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-19 at 16:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I thought of what would be the best way to use drones for short time transmission link points? Like installing some extra battery plus a link point, fly it high, remotely start the transmitter, remotely stop it and fly the drone back. Could easily also hide the exact location if needed for some reason. Drones can fly quite high so the angle for the signal could cover a wide area.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I thought of what would be the best way to use drones for short time transmission link points? Like installing some extra battery plus a link point, fly it high, remotely start the transmitter, remotely stop it and fly the drone back. Could easily also hide the exact location if needed for some reason. Drones can fly quite high so the angle for the signal could cover a wide area.
I think the limited flight-time might cause some problems. Unless you just want to fly it up, fire off a rapid stream of messages and bring it back down. Not really suitable for a browser esperience.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I flew a prototypes that could in theory do a few hundred NM(nautical miles=1852 m, aviation uses feet, knots, and nautical miles) using fixed wing vs helicopter design, it used a two stroke magneto fired gasoline motor. It was to do small 1-2kg for-fun deliveries or dropping survival or medical equipment to located but remote rescues recovering the whole aircraft by parachute, I had some inertial guidance systems I had built when I worked at the university rocket lab as well as GPS receivers to keep the drift away. I had a fully tested module to read from aviation VOR beacons but didn't finish the code to triangulate and place onto a map as I had one working receiver complete. We converted a gunn diode doppler radar to compare the difference between several radar angles for a terrain following radar which we never fully finished but did test a few times strapped to a wing support of a Cessna 172.
http://psas.pdx.edu/

I had thought it would be fun to make a V-1 style pulsejet drone but while it could be cheap and quite quick they waste propane fuel like crazy. There are youtubes of an Australian guy and his pulsejet drones.

The class will compute the expected maximum bandwidth in MB/s of a drone data service with a single drone in operation at any time, drones flying at an average of 40kts carrying 2kg of 128G microSD cards(2g each) between two cities 150NM apart with an average 15 minute recover, unload, reload, refuel, and launch turnaround time.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-20 at 11:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I think the limited flight-time might cause some problems. Unless you just want to fly it up, fire off a rapid stream of messages and bring it back down. Not really suitable for a browser esperience.
Indeed. A balloon might be a better solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Münsterland, Germany
* https://www.project-owl.com/

Which looks like disaster.radio

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I have Eng Wikipedia and Eng Wikivoyage from 2013. Do you have a server I could upload it to for you.
How big they are about?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xelo View Post
* https://www.project-owl.com/

Which looks like disaster.radio
OK, they look to be nearly the same ESP32 with LoRa add on boards to access the Duck(WAN) side of the network, the onboard ESP32's wifi is for local users to access the network.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-21 at 16:45.

After git cloning Disaster Radio's Git
https://github.com/sudomesh/disaster-radio
I was looking to clone Project owl too, they link to their git but it is empty, too bad...
https://github.com/Project-Owl
But stuff like Owl is exactly what I am looking for in this thread, show me networks that don't need telco/mobile provider corporation internet.
I have a handful of ESP32s and some LoRa modules so I might get around to building a few DIsaster Radio nodes.

Match something like Disaster Radio with something like Othernet earth station, some sort of network file sharing, maybe some chat, mail, and discussion forums and you have a useful BBS with updates over the satellite network.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-22 at 11:03.

As for airborne hotspots there is project loon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Loon
Google has experimented in atmospheric balloon 'communication satellites' operating at near-space high altitude which cover huge areas and don't cost much to operate. Standard mobile telephony and data technology are used and a special Loon SIM card allows access when a balloon is up.
It might be difficult for an individual or small group to operate such a service as while amateur radio has the legal power to achieve the 18-25km minimum range without specialized antennas encryption and internet access(a commercial product) are not allowed. Unlicensed modes; even LoRa don't have the range without directional antennas. Even then there is civil aviation permits and transponder equipment required for unmanned balloons as well as recovery issues.