Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mieses View Post
ok, this is one of those bill gates 10k memory should be enough for everyone quotes. i'll remember this one. amazing.
I already have a 3g bluetooth phone. I don't want to spend money on another service plan. VOIP over Wimax doesn't suit my needs, and a GSM modem in the ITs will just nuke battery life and drive up the costs (not to mention make it a lot harder to get to market and tie it to carrier contracts).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I already have a 3g bluetooth phone. I don't want to spend money on another service plan. VOIP over Wimax doesn't suit my needs, and a GSM modem in the ITs will just nuke battery life and drive up the costs (not to mention make it a lot harder to get to market and tie it to carrier contracts).
I don't want another anything either. i'd like to replace and simplify.

Right now the htc mogul with an unlimited sprint ev-do data plan, a working SIP client, and no voice plan is looking really good. But i HATE the idea of using Windows Mobile.

voip over 3g/wifi would work for me:
- sip > wifi > asterisk at home and office
- sip > 3g > asterisk elsewhere.

the tablet would eliminate my home sip phone and my cell phone.

Nokia is making a WiMax tablet becuase Sprint wants one and will sell it themselves, not because Nokia believe in the internet-equiped tablet future, mainly because nokia is a very Euro-centric company.

Plus, Sprint is going to push WiMax as an alternative to Cable (TWC, ComCast) or DSL (Verizon) boardband, not an alternative to EVDO or HSDAP mobile data. If I can share a single WiMax account on my 3 computers, I really don't mind replacing my cable modem with it.

What do you expect from someone who can't even doublecheck their spelling before submitting their "blog" post?
M810? Never heard of it. Heard of the N810 though.
This is just some uninformed jackass basing everything off a full FIVE MINUTES of playing around with the N810 and then goes and posts a link to the "m810".
The phuctard was probably just filling space because it was on deadline.
Espcially when this phuctard complains that to use thedevice you HAVE to be connected over wi-fi or bluetooth.
Wrong.
Normal consumers don't read InformationWeak anyway, it's mostly for business folks and investors which definitely are NOT the target demographics Nokia is aiming for with their line of Internet Tablets.
They certainly don't need them anyway.
American press is always going to be biased towards "homegrown" consumer electronics which is why the Apple iPhone is getting such great reviews despite being truly crippled in regards to real functionality.
Remember when the Motorola RAZR first came out? Same thing. Nice looking phone but lacking in real features.
But because both devices were "Made in the USA" (as far as design and the company goes, not where it was manufactured) the American press lauded them both as "revolutionary when they really weren't, feature-wise.
The iPhone just introduced a new UI and the Motorola RAZR just proved that - as always - "thin is in".
COmpare both those phones to a large variety of Nokia products and you'll find them lacking.
But Nokia isn't a US company now, is it? Of course not. And since it doesn't have a REAL market presence here in the US then the mainstream media will ignore it or flame it.
But we all know that the people out there who "get" the internet tablet won't be swayed against buying one by some fat, balding, middle-aged hippie who doesn't know the difference between his *** and a hole in the ground.

And sometimes even the press folks who just months ago lauded the Apple iPhone (Walt Mossberg) turn against it's "feature" of being locked in to only one carrier - AT&T (again, Walt Mossberg).
The mainstream press may act like complete douchebags now but once the product they're bashing catches on they'll be backpedaling and flip-flopping worse than any politician (see John C. Dvorak).
I don't even bother reading reviews from the likes of CNet or Information Week (what do you expect from a "tech magazine" that gives away subscriptions?!?!? I call that one big printed infomercial) since they're usually biased.
I prefer to read reviews from folks who actually "get" and understand technology and what the device is intended to do and then some.
Only true geeks can write unbiased reviews when it comes to modern information technology.
I detest Microsoft Vista, XP is OK for my work as a network engineer, but Mac OS X is what I use at home.
I wouldn't wish IIS 6.0 on anyone for a public website, but IIS 6.0 + Sharepoint Services is perfect for a private in-house replacement for a file server in a MIcrosoft-based shop. Hate Cisco for anything but routers, love Foundry for everything but routers (OSPF in da house).
Best tool for the job and all.
I don't expect folks who went to college to get a journalism degree to write good reviews on information technology so when they are true to form and write a half-assed reviews like those.
And no one else in here should be angry about that. It's the nature of the beast.

Personally I just ignored his review. First thing that struck me was the fact that he used it for 5 min. (played with it seems more accurate). That aside he totally lost me when he described his iphone plan. 5000 sms and 200 visual vm? Really? Brainchild, its 200sms and unlimited vvm. If you don't overstand what you have, how can you grok something else. Proves to me that this is a person that just has no clue.
btw I am no nokia h8ter or apple fanboy. I carry both the iphone and a n800. Will likely buy the 810 for the gps. Hard to use the iphone on my ninja(touchscreen no work with leather gloves. neither have a gps...

Originally Posted by iball View Post
What do you expect from someone who can't even doublecheck their spelling before submitting their "blog" post?
M810? Never heard of it. Heard of the N810 though.

Of course, the people who are well informed will disregard this article altogether. However 99% of the people are pretty shallow when it comes interest in technology. Articles like this shouldn't offend anyone here, rather it should wake up everybody in Nokia's marketing dep. If I were the head of marketing the N810, I wouldn't have let people like Mitch walk away uninformed and unimpressed. Okay the N810 may be hard to grasp at first, but that means you have someone present at the display devices all the time to highlight all the great features. He didn't get his opinion at a random store, no it was at a nokia marketing event! That to me is just unbelievable.

So just as a question what is the power consumption of a cell chip? I can't imagine it really affecting the performance of the IT (especially not if you could disable it), because it would probably be dwarfed by the power consumption of the screen and the wifi. In fact I guess that the bluetooth pairing with a phone would consume more power.

I would also guess that the cost of a cell chip is very very low. I'm no expert at this, but I do not think the cost and battery argument are really valid.

So a cell chip shouldn't bother anyone who isn't going to use it, but it will make a whole bunch of us very happy (and boost sales in the process). The only compelling reason I can see not to include a cell chip is that it doesn't fit in nokia's current strategy (either because of potential conflict with carriers, or because they see separate revenue streams).

IMO Nokia doesn't want to put a cellphone inside the tablet not because it was too expensive, but because they don't want these kind of (hilarious) websites to ever again.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Fadsjeik View Post
So a cell chip shouldn't bother anyone who isn't going to use it, but it will make a whole bunch of us very happy (and boost sales in the process). The only compelling reason I can see not to include a cell chip is that it doesn't fit in nokia's current strategy (either because of potential conflict with carriers, or because they see separate revenue streams).
Yes, it will bother those that don't use it. A. It costs money to put it in there, not only due to material and manufacturing costs, but also due to certification and testing costs (which are a whole lot more complicated than Wifi/Bluetooth) and B. In the US, if it has a cellular radio, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have to go through a carrier to get it—carriers mean contracts, contracts mean more costs.

No thanks.

In the US, if it has a cellular radio, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have to go through a carrier to get it—carriers mean contracts, contracts mean more costs.
Surely, even in the US it is possible to buy a prepaid sim card? You could buy your IT just as you bought it now, same price, no sim. Get yourself a sim card if you like, or not if you don't.

I'd even welcome an IT with a contract, because here in Europe it means a much much cheaper IT (read: free ). People here in the forum always tend to include the costs of the contract with the price of the device, i.e. the iphone costs more than 2000 dollar. However they tend to forget that you do get unlimited data and a whole lot of calling minutes for that price as well.