community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Don't forget digital compass. Navigation is a lot easier if the device knows which way it's facing when not in motion. This is a significant issue with my car GPS: it sees me reaching an intersection, says to turn left, then gives more directions while I'm stopped at the light, without being able to know whether I've already turned left.

Also would like to be able to hot-swap batteries.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
are you mad? why stop there? why not a 4ghz p4, twin nvidia 6600 and a terabyte hdd.

this is a pocket computer which strains battery life as is. you really think you need twin 1ghz processors just so you can do banal **** like update you online tweetspace memeosphere?
way harsh dude you're right tho, an upgrade would be nice but ive yet to see anyone balance cpu power and battery life well, carrying the extra battery is a pita.

what i hate to think is that they wont include the FM transceiver in any theoretical maemo / meego tablet / phone the tech will be old, but the ir port proves how old tech can still be useful when theres **** on some tv in a pub .

Honest question here; Why couldn't we create our own Maemo device?

According to all that I've read, the only closed bits for the N900 are certain kernel drivers (the 3D and Battery Management), Flash, and parts of MicroB (not sure on that one).

Why couldn't we get a beagle board, or even some other ARM processor board, have someone mold some cases, slap in a LCD, keyboard, etc. Then we could have our own Maemo 6. Upgrade the packages from Debian Squeeze, and away we go.

Or even if the N950 comes out, if some of us don't like MeeGo for whatever reason, again couldn't we then put Maemo on it? Assuming of course similar hardware for the 3D and BME.

Just some thoughts. Maybe I've gone crazy from reading Amiga forums, because they always do little hardware hacks, etc.

slaapliedje

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
The amount of effort and expenditure it takes to miniaturize and package electronics into a rugged, phone-sized gadget is completely out of reach for hobbyists. Openmoko came close but they had real funding.

Yes it is possible to put a beagleboard, battery pack, etc. into a much larger box like a pelican case, basically the size of a netbook or not much smaller. It would even be pretty cool in some ways. But it wouldn't be a pocket computer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phr For This Useful Post:
Even a portable touchpad would be sweet, like a (max)iPad, but with Maemo.

I just really like the OS and think it would be most awesome to get it on a larger platform. Maybe even port it to x86, which is kind of what it looks like smoku is doing with Cordia!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56822

slaapliedje

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Resistives got better sensing resolution, and you can use it with your fingernails, any random object you happen to be holding, while wearing gloves etc, nothing in crapacitives make them a better choice than resistives...
I use my phone for reference articles and as a music player while working on my car. The fact I can use a carkey/spanner/bolt/anything (or not have to take my gloves off) is a big advantage. Plus less probability of engine oil all over the screen from my grubby mitts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
I hope N950 will have ovi maps offline for free! Its the pain to use N900's gps! A FM tuner is welcomed too!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by phr View Post
The amount of effort and expenditure it takes to miniaturize and package electronics into a rugged, phone-sized gadget is completely out of reach for hobbyists. Openmoko came close but they had real funding.

Yes it is possible to put a beagleboard, battery pack, etc. into a much larger box like a pelican case, basically the size of a netbook or not much smaller. It would even be pretty cool in some ways. But it wouldn't be a pocket computer.
As you say its almost impossible to minimize it also you must buy million SoC to be able to sell it. For example the TI in N900 costs around $100 a' price. And I guess the display costs double...

And dont forget that Nokia and others has alot of patents in this areas...

So at the end its impossible cmission for hobbyists...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-16 at 19:23.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
would be great for me:
- bigger screen 4"
- multi touch for games
- more speed (duno how, +memory, +hz, better UI response, etc)
- a powerful battery
- HDMI out port
- HD video recording
- USB host mode
- 12Megapixel of more with carl zeiss
- wireless b/g/n
- Digital TV
- digital compass
- better agps
- 3.5G for UMTS 850 and optional 1900 (VERY IMPORTANT 4 my country!!)
- 4G if possible ^^
AND the rest features ALL the same as my current n900

and about applications... think they will come by itself

Do you like what I want?

The Following User Says Thank You to Arrancamos For This Useful Post:

Tags
stop dreaming, willneverhappen