Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
lingie :

You need the maemo extras repository! ( http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...ow_pck=126#126 )

What's really strange is : how did you manage to install canola without the extras?

Br

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California
Thanks Marcelo for everything. Yes, I do have the Maemo repository catalog installed on my N800.

With your instructions I updated the Canola2 and it installed successfully but when I started it I have the same problem as before: loading...loading...then nothing happens.

I decided to uninstall it, and this time it uninstalled successfully. I don't dare re-install it in case trouble begins again. What do you think? Should I wait for the full version to come out? I am always wary about Beta's.

Again, thanks everyone for trying to help. I wished I was a lucky as others that are really enjoying the Canola2.

Hi Lingie, sorry to say that... but it's not a problem of being a beta.
If your device was "new" you would have no problems, but what happens is that not only it's not new, but it propably has a lot of applications on it (normal) and thus a lot of other repositories, together with that maybe you got packages that are old mixed with new ones while we were uploading / server was doing cache.. something like this.. thus ending on a non-functional setup of canola.

That's why you really need to do the purge method, deleting everything as root using apt-get... and install clean.

But apart from anything.. we do want to create "shield" agains possible problems, and if you can send us the list of repositories you have configured, we maybe in the future ask the users to disabled them first. (but this also seems not to work because a lot of users are facing problems just because they didn't read the instructions also ) : /

When you unninstall Canola, you remove the application and shut downs the daemons, but the libraries are there.. and installing keeps them there.. that's why the error won't go away : /

So: I would not say to you "wait" for the final, because even if we try to "check" every single case there will be always problem based on the fact that users have freedom to install whatever they want.. from different places..etc and the application installer doesn't handle too well "reall unninstalls "

Sorry for the work and trouble canola2 caused..we really wanted to see you running it and sendin us feedback : /

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by handful View Post
if you can send us the list of repositories you have configured, we maybe in the future ask the users to disabled them first. : /
handful, Here's a list of the Repositories I had when I did the Canola2 install that won't load and won't uninstall:

Nokia catalog
Nokia catalog (3rd party software)
Nokia System Software Updates
Tuomas Kulve - Maemo - Chinook
Bora -extras
maemo
axique-1
Browser Extras
aemo Chinook
Maemo Bora
maemo Extras
Chinook Extras
Extras
Community Canola Temp

I'm not positive I had all those already, but I likely did. I'm running OS2008.

I'm daunted (confused) by your instructions on how to uninstall, but I'm picking up a book on Linux today and maybe that will help.

My main problem is that in looking for a tutorial on SSH on internet tablets or SSH on maemo, I found them only for OS2005 and OS 2006 -- http://tinyurl.com/3d8kyu -- but not for OS2008. Will those instructions work for OS2008?

I did find something on becoming root (http://tinyurl.com/3x9vs4), and I've installed SSH and becomeroot. But I'm hesitant to keep going since it sounds like I could brick the tablet (!), especially since I don't have good directions.

Frankly, I don't even understand if I'm supposed to do everything on the NIT alone or if it has to be connected to another computer. Is "connecting at root" something I do in xterm? Should I be in Red Pill mode for doing this stuff? Is it "ssh" I want to install or one (or more) of the openssh packages (openssh, openssh-client, openssh-common, and/or openss-server)?

Again, I'm patient to hear back. I hope my list of repositories above is helpful. And maybe once I've at least read my Linux book for Windows users, I'll be a more capable student on this end of the conversation.

Thanks again.

Don't worry about being confused. It's a common feeling when you jump into a new environment. I felt it too when I switched from being all Windows to Linux (and now partially Windows).

Since you want to ssh root@localhost (localhost being yourself so your sshing into your own root account) you need both the openssh-client and openssh-server. If your doing this, you do not need to be in red pill mode.

And yes it's possible to brick the tablet (though you could always reflash so it's not really bricking). But that rarely happens when following good directions.

Edit: Further explaination.

Your using the ssh root@localhost command from your tablet. Though you could also ssh root@tablet name or whatever if you wanted to from another computer (I personally haven't done this before). But because your doing it from the tablet that is why you need both the client and server.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Gerald:
We think it's better you to connect from your desktop to the device. So you avoid a lot of problems. =) and thus is better to type, and to get even the debug messages if needed! =)

After connecting.. make sure you do just like this :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16075

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Marcelo,

I've done what is recommended on that link, except that I did it through sudo gainroot. In any event, it seemed to uninstall Canola2. Then I did an install again (using "apt-get -f install canola2"), and got exactly the same problems: says it is going to load but doesn't; and won't uninstall from the Application Manager.

So now I've gone and removed all my Catalogs that I could. Then I went to the Gronmayer.com Repositories site and downloaded only those catalogs that I had already had but that have been updated in the last 2 days.

Now I am planning to go through the uninstall/remove from root again, but here is what I'm wondering:

When I tried uninstalling Canola2 from the App Manager, it showed dependencies for libecore0-evas AND FOR libedje0. The purge command I'm using does NOT include libedje0. (It is "apt-get --purge --force-yes -y remove libevas0 libecore0 libeet0 libembryo0 libdownloadmanager0") DO YOU THINK I SHOULD INCLUDE "libedje0" IN THAT LIST, TOO? (Or would removing libedje0 make the Tablet explode like a Molotov cocktail?!)

Thanks again!

no, you don't.. it seems that everyone solved the problem with exactl that.. because I think libedje is delete with the libevas..

but it won't make it explode.

But it's better to do not do using gainroot.

Br

Marcelo, I swear you respond to me faster than my mother would, even when I was a baby!

Well, I did the uninstall per the directions (after deleting and re-installing all my catalogs) (except I was bad and did it via sudo gainroot), and then installed from the maemo.org website rather than the command line, and ...

. . . it works great! I've watched a movie, loaded in the url for my DemocracyNow podcast, and MARVELLED over a what a beautiful and sophisticated application you and and the guys and women on your team have made. BRILLIANT!

Thanks again and again. Ciao! Gerald

Gerald! =)

Now I can go out and party a little bit =)) really happy.. now after these carnival we will be full speed on the release.. that is feature based =)

Marcelo