Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
Is it worth revisiting a "make out own" type of thing?

TLR - Is it possible to have enough people to agree on sticking a single board PC in a case, along with a screen (6 or 7 inches), a battery, and keyboard?

With bazillions of projects being done with the raspberry pi 1,2&3 it is definitely possible to make something that fits in a pocket...even if it has to be a large coat pocket- I think I'd setle for that.

End result- a "standard", pocket fitting, Linux PC that you can walk around with, use anywhere and doesn't cost the earth.
Thanks for reminding me.

This is still at the top of my list,
just waiting for a (RESISTIVE!!!) touch-screen HDMI display
to mate with one of the many SBC's I get specs for every month.

No need to ask the forum or get approval,
just do it.
If the case is ugly that can very quickly be fixed.
The battery part becomes just one of those battery banks
or whatever they will let you carry on airlines.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA

TLR - Is it possible to have enough people to agree on sticking a single board PC in a case, along with a screen (6 or 7 inches), a battery, and keyboard?
[...]
But why do this instead of just ordering a Pyra? I think it actually will ship in a few months. Why fragment our already lamentably small community into numerous sub projects, no one of which has enough supporters?

So many people say "Oh, it's gotta have a resistive screen" or "no hardware keyboard is a deal-breaker for me". We will be very very lucky to get any machine that is a true successor to our beloved N900s (which are all slowly dying - no mobile phones are designed to last 7+ years). We can't afford to be picky, or to fragment our tiny group with a lot of under supported projects. I saw that happen with the Openmoko software; there were half a dozen different stacks produced, none of which had enough developers.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I hear often this argument that older HW lacks power, but what is this power that people think they need?
I imagine arcade games are just about the only kind of software that requires lots of processing power, and even that is not CPU but GPU power.
I don't do games, so this featureset is irrelevant to me.
Having enough core memory and high-speed connectivity are much more important than graphics throughput.
Unfortunately, the way the web has moved in the past 10 years or so, you need a LOT of processing power just to render basic websites. The browsing experience is the only reason I have swapped my N900 for a Jolla as my daily, even though the N900 is far superior in every other aspect except the CPU power.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sure. That is what the Neo900 is about. See how far that has got.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Why fragment our already lamentably small community into numerous sub projects, no one of which has enough supporters?
Because that is the very nature of FOSS as such. There is no "Linux", there are hundreds of small "distributions". There is no good office suite, browser, video editor, shooter game, you name it. There are dozens of small, non-cooperating projects and forks of forks, because someone did not like some tiny bit of something.

Moving the same fragmentation to hardware is the same in a slightly different shade of blue.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Unfortunately, the way the web has moved in the past 10 years or so, you need a LOT of processing power just to render basic websites. The browsing experience is the only reason I have swapped my N900 for a Jolla as my daily, even though the N900 is far superior in every other aspect except the CPU power.
Exactly. Using Firefox with enabled javascript on n950 is a pain, and it is slow and laggy even with javascript disabled, and neo900 is going to have the same weak CPU and the same little 1GB of RAM.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by meego_leenooks1 View Post
Exactly. Using Firefox with enabled javascript on n950 is a pain, and it is slow and laggy even with javascript disabled, and neo900 is going to have the same weak CPU and the same little 1GB of RAM.
What counts is what you do with that 1GB of RAM. I always found Firefox Mobile to be resource hungry, even on 1GB Harmattan devices. I've had much better experiences with other web browsers on my 256MB N900. The Neo900 would be a huge improvement on that.

Plenty of 1GB Android and iOS devices also have decent web browsing experiences. Those browsers tend to unload background tabs from memory but they're certainly usable. As long as you are conscious of how you fill up your memory, you'll be fine.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... still nothing that's out right now and orderable and deliverable today still exists?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... still nothing that's out right now and orderable and deliverable today still exists?
Oh, they're orderable right now...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Can I get fries with that order?
Side salad ...not the coleslaw ...I don't think it should be in the "salad classification "...
And a large root beer..
Please ....

Ridonkulous!
That there is virtually zero option currently to our n900's
Well...my nxx0's....since I still use my n800's and n810's....
Sooooo ....actually ...that ain't so bad come to think of it...
But it would be nice to have something that could go toe to toe with the current crap out there....

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Oh, they're orderable right now...
Semantics. Never while here... I should know better.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy