Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
Hi!
Just my views. First, I love my N900... It is the best phone I have had till date.

I keep wondering why everybody says it is a good tablet with phone functionality. I think that is not true.

You cannot ask for more from a phone. Infact it is the best phone in the market today.

It has a wonderful VOIP integration, skype integration and so on. This is how all other phones would be in the future. With dialcentral google voice is totally integrated. Only thing missing maybe is the video calls... which will come sometime soon for sure (the hardware is already there).

For a phone, it has the best browser in the market today.

Now as a tablet I would expect a better email client. Think something like thunderbird or kontact with push functionality.
I would also expect a better office suite. There is abiword and freeoffice. And I love it in a phone. For a tablet , maybe a fully functional Koffice with edit capability is what I would say is good.

End of the day, all I am trying to say is that a good phone should be given full credit for its phone capability. Even if this great phone is the child of a series of nice tablets.

Just my 2cents. :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amarjyoti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
actually, video call in working on mine.. i use google talk,, over wifi...

The Following User Says Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
Wow.. did not know that. I'll try that soon. If is works on wifi, shouldn't it work on 3G ?

Originally Posted by chase15 View Post

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Im not sure with 3g since im using at&t's edge network.. but im sure that its working..

i too agree that it's a phone and i only mean that in the way that the screen is just too small for me to consider it a tablet imho....

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
Tell me more please, how do you set this up?

Here is what I did .. my wife started a video chat with me from the computer and I was the able to see her and had a start video button.
Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by joelus View Post
Tell me more please, how do you set this up?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Im not sure with 3g since im using at&t's edge network.. but im sure that its working..
I tested this functionality not long after launch including over cellular connection, the thread is on here somewhere.

Basically the connection with googletalk was a little choppy over 3G but great on 3.5G: both whist in a moving car on the motorway. static, then a good 3G signal was sufficient to maintain voice & video.

The video though is less than spectacular.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I got very garbled video on our home wlan, so I think it's not a bandwidth issue with google talk. It's more of a novelty thing right now. You can't initiate calls, just take them. But it was nice to do some video chatting for the first time on a mobile device, however crappy the video quality was...

Aye, the front camera is a bit poor quality, but then again it really depends on lighting conditions.

And i agree, the N900 serves all its purposes well.
If not a bit unpolished here and there.