Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by jebba View Post
Right now Maemo 5 definitely runs nicer on N900 than Mer, but they have different purposes. Mer tries to build a freer, more mainline "style" distro than what comes from Nokia. It still drags in some non-free bits from Nokia though, for such things as battery. It will punt non free parts before Nokia. It also is designed to run on older Nokia internet tablets, which is nice if you have one of those.
thats what i thought it was mainly, un upgrade for N770 N800 etc

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
N900 version is non-accelerated as explicitly stated. It is possible to accelerate with SGX libraries but we need to find a proper delivery system to do so. With SGX enabled, it would be as speedy as on Maemo5.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
cool. waiting for that. thanks.
did not read the non accelerated part. :-(

also is it possible to add the debian armel repos?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by amarjyoti View Post
cool. waiting for that. thanks.
did not read the non accelerated part. :-(

also is it possible to add the debian armel repos?
Why bother when it already has the Ubuntu armel repos?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Confirm! i was able to boot into the 0.17testing11 once, but is was not really useable... A really good message is, Netbeans is running in Easy Debian! At the moment i am trying to use XFCE or LXDE, but i haven't found the proper Xephyr command... May be some one knows a solution? Another question, where are some explanations about the rd-mode, which has to be enabled with flasher for booting into mer?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Redstone Canyon, Colorado
Originally Posted by mankir View Post
Another question, where are some explanations about the rd-mode, which has to be enabled with flasher for booting into mer?
As of around 0.17testing11 you don't need to put the N900 into R&D mode to run Mer.

The keymap is whacked, but the fix is coming RSN.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
Oops my bad again. :-)
Ubuntu repos are good.
btw, this may be cool
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian
Mer with illume :-)