Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Since many of you were whining asking for this one, I thought I'd give it a go.

Find 0.4-2 in Extras!

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-03-05 at 15:46.

The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
My bad, understood poorly. Great app!

Last edited by Blinde; 2010-01-08 at 16:54.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Blinde View Post
So, it goes actually to 2G mode when you select 3G? Why?
No, it goes into 3G mode if you are currently in 2G mode. The point being, y'know, to switch between the two. Although, I could do with wording my sentences properly.

Anyway, should be in -devel soon. I figured out what I was doing wrong with dbus_g_proxy_no_reply() and switched to using that instead of system()...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-01-08 at 16:34.

Thanx for this app i was waiting for an app that does this.

was just reading the thread about selecting between dual and singular and how it saves the battery, i thought of how it'd be good if there was an app where i could just select it on the fly. 10 seconds later i am here. Maemo hasnt ceased to amaze me yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tobylee For This Useful Post:
how to install .deb please guys? my noobness is showing thru lol

@ qwerty12 would you like a touch style signal/network icon to impliment into the setting like the other setting tabs.

The Following User Says Thank You to biggzy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
@ qwerty12 would you like a touch style signal/network icon to impliment into the setting like the other setting tabs.
Yes, please!

I was stealing the one used for the signal applet (http://i.imgur.com/XKR1h.png) and, as you can see, having that icon there was not worth it.

I would like to propose following enhancements for this app:

1. Add icon so it coincides with other apps (cell tower icon would be appropriate)
2. Merge it (or add functionality) from "Cellular modem control buttons" app. It is app that disables only cellular radio and its function could be implemented in your app.
3. That's major, but it could already be implemented (I admit I hasn't tested app yet, waiting 'till it's in devel): "Dual" mode has its purpose, for instance when you are in area w/o 3G, it switches to 2G. With the description of your app it seems that this would have to be done manually (switching from 3G to 2G) in order to make phone work on 2G.

The Following User Says Thank You to rooted For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rooted View Post
I would like to propose following enhancements for this app:

1. Add icon so it coincides with other apps (cell tower icon would be appropriate)
Hopefully, biggzy comes through.

2. Merge it (or add functionality) from "Cellular modem control buttons" app. It is app that disables only cellular radio and its function could be implemented in your app.
But that's it: This isn't an app. It's an applet, one that appears in the status menu area at that. I associate status menu applets with being quick and easy to access. People were requesting such an applet like this because going to the Control Panel, bringing up the Phone applet and waiting for the Save button to become sensitive was taking too long. This applet is designed to be fast; adding options to it will just make it time consuming.

3. That's major, but it could already be implemented (I admit I hasn't tested app yet, waiting 'till it's in devel): "Dual" mode has its purpose, for instance when you are in area w/o 3G, it switches to 2G. With the description of your app it seems that this would have to be done manually (switching from 3G to 2G) in order to work.
Admittedly, it could be done (replace the HildonButton with a HildonPickerButton and add a HildonTouchSelector with Dual, 3G and GSM in it) but, again, it would just make it time consuming. I decided to make it 2G/3G switch only because, TBH, I wonder what you would want with such an applet if you allow the phone to switch between the modes for you.

But, anyway, the source code will soon be in extras-devel (it's been uploaded and built) so feel free to modify as you wish.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I agree with your answers to 1 and 2, but I simply can't accept third. Dual mode is very useful and I, for one, use it most of the time and would like to switch to it regularly. Sometimes, I'd like to force phone to single mode and this app comes in handy. But when I would like to switch back to dual mode, it is still time consuming. I think that a lot of people use dual mode at least some of the time.

Another aspect is that all applets offer exactly the same function as options in "Settings", and in settings you can use Dual mode, which has proven to be very useful.

I don't want you to make app more time consuming. You could implement, for example, swipe gesture through the applet button to switch Dual mode on (or double tap or holding the tap for 3 seconds or...), which wouldn't make app more time consuming since 2G/3G switch uses single tap.