Notices

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
i still not tested the big revamped patch of @pichlo, let see what i think about it ...
also i waiting that @rinigus solve the 2 troubles, api translation conflict, remove advanced search default

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-11-06 at 19:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Have been busy with resolving few issues with the map imports for OSM Scout Server and few other things

@Fellfrosch - the both UI are implemented, as far as I understand. So, it's not an argument with the respect of preferring one to another. As for then your earlier comments regarding ETA/Speed swap and icon movements are regarding current version.

@pichlo - on desktop, there are some issues. I will have to test on device as well. Looks like the current street name (on the bottom) does collide with the current position marker.

Navigation is only part of the equation, would have to resolve search - streamline it as suggested by few already. I am planning to file few issues on github regarding it.

Most of restructuring is done and I should be back to coding in no time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In the end, question is how to implement it? Bias towards current location by default? That's essentially covered already via Main menu/Nearby search and default settings.

I presume that's what is done in Saera when you search for directions via the used provider. Does that provider understand "starbucks in london"? and which london is used then (https://londonist.com/london/feature...t-the-london)?
Neither provider I use seem to understand "starbucks in london" - they both yield nearby starbucks's. However my intent parser treats "in London" as a location, and so it searches around the coordinates returned from a geolookup for "London" rather than around the user's current location.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Re MapboxGL: see https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps....PureMaps.json , mapboxgl qt version part. You would have to install mapbox-gl-native-qt and mapbox-gl-qml, as shown in that flatpak JSON recipe. Well, except install location. Use my repos and it should all work. Its way easier to work on desktop - even with Jolla making a decent job to simplify development.
Nice, that should really help, thanks a lot!

Also, it seems to me that it should not be that hard to modify the flatpak metadata json to create a flatpak for modRana and possibly also my work-in-progress Twitter client as well. Looks like the Flatpak project has progressed quite a bit since I looked at it initially when it looked like one would have to first get to compile full Qt 5 + Python 3 just to create a Python + QML application.

Re OSM Scout Server packaging: I am now writing up a doc for deb-based repos and will probably compose flatpak as well for it. Although, flatpak does impose few limitations, as far as I can see - no systemd socket activation and dbus name is predefined.
Is it possible to start an application packaged inside flatpak over DBUS ? If yes, then I think it could be used as an alternative to regular socket activation - the application would first start OSM Scout Server via DBUS (a noop if already running) and only once it signals back it is running would start calling it's API over the localhost network.

Good luck with the talk!
Thanks! I think it went well - while the lecture room was not full there was a reasonable number of attendees and many of them apparently went to my previous talks as well (I've been doing this "what's new in Sailfish OS" talk for the last 2-3 years). The actual number of Sailfish OS users in audience was quite small though, but at least one person with a Gemini PDA and a kernel hacker working N900 and Motorolla Droid kernel upstreaming (Pavel Machek) were attending the talk, which in itself was cool.

The talk was in Czech and the slides (also Czech) are here:
http://www.modrana.org/openalt2018/

There will be unfortunately no recording from this year due to a A/V tech malfunction in the venue.

I've also submitted a similar topic to the all-English DevConf 2019, so if the proposal gets accepted there might be an English version of the slides (and possibly a recording of the talk) in early 2019.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I have opened few issues on general GUI redesign, listed under https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps...s/gui%20design . In general, there is a wish to streamline maps experience, figure out how to make it simpler and more efficient to use. It will probably take a while, but let's see what we can come up with.

The recent discussion with Starbucks resulted in https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/101

@pichlo - your patch is now added as a branch in the main repo. That way I can look into it better, you didn't fork my repo but pushed it into github separately. So, I couldn't see diff without making such branch.

I'll continue with some more technical issues, so all these larger and global changes can be specified first as a spec.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
In general, there is a wish to streamline maps experience, figure out how to make it simpler and more efficient to use.
Thanks to Pure Maps my XA2 h4113 serves as navigating device now and i have some observations.
(Sorry for spitting them here and not doing proper issues to Git)

1. The current speed is displayed halfed on xa2. Going 40 shows 20 Km/h and so on.

2. The road signs showing the next exit are very nice already, bravo.
2a. Only the german translation for "exit" is hilariously wrong atm. Currently "Beenden XX" means "Quit XX". "Exit XX from current Road" would be "Ausfahrt XX".
2b. But the exit/ausfahrt numbers are not commonly used here anyway. Many (early&mixed) signs are even missing them.
Propably leading to confusion when the first info we give on the sign is not there in real world?
I propose to move the first line "Exit XX" to the bottom of the sign below the actual destination city names.
2c. Also the word "Ausfahrt" is never written out on german signs. It is indicated by a white number with white circle around it on the bottom of the sign as the word Ausfahrt is very clunky and long i guess. So no need to give away screen estate for a word even german officials do not use imo.
2d. All Caps is not necessary for the city names on the sign. It increases character spacing and does not resemble the real life signs. I would advise to remove allcaps and increase the font weight to compensate for better readability.

3. UX wise, (reflecting my expectations when moving from Waze/Here/Sygic to Pure Maps)
3a. Always center on current position when Pure Maps starts. Currently the map is centered around the last known position and a tap on the top right "center" button is required to move the view to current position. It would be nice if the map view would resemble the actual current position always and as soon as it is known.
3b. The "Follow me" function should not be an option to select but be standard on app start and always on if no route exists or the user does not manually drag or pinch the map. Removing the necessity for that settings option completely.
3b. Colors of the position marker (Blue circles) and the route (blue track) are too similar and sometimes look slightly messed up. Maybe change the position marker to black or something funky, ad some drop shadow to it or use a 3d modeled one as soon as a route is displayed? (I could gladly help with designing one if you explain the constraints)
3c. The "Navigation" menue option/page should contain a list of past destinations, currently you have to tap the "to" field for them.
3d. The "to" field in navigation page should be the search field you get when now taping it.
3e. For the end user it is hard to understand why the search results in navigation and search page differ. When using the search in navigation page (Stadia Maps?) i hardly ever get a result for my (maybe to lax) keywords. The exact keywords in search page (using OpenCage?) however reliably give a matching proposal. Either explain to the user how to use the search or better move to the most reliable search engine allover.

I hope you can make any sense from my explanation, if not i am happy to further elaborate.
And again, it is near unbelievable how sophisticated and generally awesome Pure Maps already is from a tech POV. I now wish you a good hand in finding a sane way to streamline it for the end user and still stay true to your ideas.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Does GPS work on the XA2? I'm not getting centered on my current position, just stays at the middle of the map

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Does GPS work on the XA2? I'm not getting centered on my current position, just stays at the middle of the map
Have you activated positioning option in general sailfish options/settings at all? By standard the positioning is turned off after the install for some reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@mosen: thanks! Forgot to read it through today earlier, will reply tomorrow.

As for XA2, maybe that's what 2 stands for: v_reported x 2 = v_real . should be a bug in somewhere reporting speed and I would expect to see same speed in other GPS programs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Have you activated positioning option in general sailfish options/settings at all? By standard the positioning is turned off after the install for some reason.
I have location on and high accuracy, still can't lock in

EDIT: nvm, the location icon suddenly flashed in the status bar and it locked in my position. Left pure maps open for a while.

Last edited by Akkumaru; 2018-11-11 at 00:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post: