Notices

Yeah I know what you're going to say... install the "to go" packages, and I did but they aren't office apps are they... just viewers so great I can open a word doc that was sent to me but I can't manage my expenses. With all those linux / unix office suites you would have thought there would have been a proper port, and even worse this cut down star/openoffice viewer isn't even shareware. So in short this little gem Read only software combined with the n900 mail and contact/calendar screw up make this a particularly un-business friendly device.

It such a shame because the phone is just the best thing and I can't stop playing with it. The problem is that whilst this has the iphone killer written all over it from a hardware perspective Nokia missed what new media and iphone is all about.... APPS. they aren't advertising how great the phone is they are advertising the applications. Ovi store is coming soon...

To the linux wizzes out there can we just go to freshmeat and start compiling abiword or something or am I just showing my ignorance?

With mail that doesn't work right, manually having to maintain two devices with contact/calender/tasks is a step back 10 years. It's not even like I can go ok exchange is F***** but they are fixing it and do a google sync work around cause they mashed that up too.

The big question is will they raise the bar before I have enough and say "you mis-sold me, I'll have the money back" and go get an iphone I don't want.

Come on Nokia this is supposed to be the phone that is going to regain the business market. At this rate it will be the last nokia I ever buy, especially as the less adventurous staff moved from E71 to E72 and they have exchange and imap issues too.

The Following User Says Thank You to sifur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
There are some full suites coming but for the life of me I can't remember where I put the links to them... search the forum and you might find them though... it's past 1 in the morning here and I'm a few beers in so I can't be bothered right this second sadly.

Anyways, to sum up there are a few in the works.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
How do you know Maemo 6 will have no office application? It's not released!

(Or did you just post in the wrong forum?)

didn't say won't said hasn't. My point is it isn't a functioning netbook yet is it? and I find it hard working with a tool that handicaps me from the tools I have become dependent upon and expect from a personal device.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freppas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sifur View Post
didn't say won't said hasn't. My point is it isn't a functioning netbook yet is it? and I find it hard working with a tool that handicaps me from the tools I have become dependent upon and expect from a personal device.
His point was that this was posted under Maemo 6, which has yet to be released. Most likely an honest error.

And FYI: while I'm with you on bringing more enterprise functionality to the Maemo products, N series has never been about that world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Actually a lot of the complaints you have actually is working in Maemo 5 (and I imagine would in 6) in some fashion already... Abiword and Gnumeric for example I know are being run - I just can't recall if they are maemo packages or from easy debian.

But as evidenced by Easy Debian, OpenOffice, and several apps will run on the tablet... it's just a matter of someone taking the time to optify and re-write their GTK/QT to work with Maemo instead of normal desktops.

I would imagine a good many of these shortcomings will be fixed fairly soon.. since the Nokia is barely a month (right?) old.. it's a little unreasonable to expect it to be both perfect and have all the apps that Android and iPhone do. I have hopes for Maemo though because of how similar coding for it is to the desktop, I think it will be easier to get developers for Maemo than for any other phone out there because a good number of people, (read: anyone who has every coded anything for Linux) already have almost all the knowledge they need to code for Maemo. WIth the iPhone, Palm Pre, and Android you have to learn a whole new set of rules and possibly a whole new language.

If developers are willing to do that... they have to be willing to code for a device they already know *how*. Just my thoughts. I foresee the N900 getting pretty big (it would be bigger if the price tag wasn't so bad.)

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
But as evidenced by Easy Debian, OpenOffice, and several apps will run on the tablet... it's just a matter of someone taking the time to optify and re-write their GTK/QT to work with Maemo instead of normal desktops.
The problem is that in order to really run OpenOffice, you would need to heavily modify the UI. As has been pointed out in OO forums, the entire suite's UI is predicated on having a mouse and having a good deal of screen real estate for menus, toolbars, etc.

For the particular use case cited (managing expenses), a spreadsheet program designed for a tablet (like the Gnumeric port for the N810) would be a better choice over a full office suite with limited usability.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
(Or did you just post in the wrong forum?)
Thread moved from "Maemo 6" to "Applications" with "[Maemo 5]" added to the title.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
damn... simma down a bit dude. Freaking out over nothing. Have some tea and go use Google Docs.