Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I'm wondering is:

Would it be possible to simply (oh how I love this word...) take the code that forms the help framework in the good old pre-Fremantle versions, re-compile it for Maemo 5, upload it to Extras as libmhelp or such and thereby make it available for each and every developer who wants a context sensitive help system for his application? Or wasn't the code open?

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
What about using wiki to make documentation for the software which needs it? I made http://wiki.maemo.org/Geocaching page some time ago to help geocachers with gpxview and maemo mapper.

Then we as a community would just need to make page for each program in wiki and write the documentation. Developers then could add link in their software to that wiki page. I actually tried to start that with http://wiki.maemo.org/OMWeather but I haven't had enough time to do it yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to mve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
mve,
I tought about that too. Maybe there shouldd be some sort of naming standardisation for example /manuals/desktop/conky.

Also it would be good that if in app manager links and email would be clickable or at least they could be copied to clipboard. Would make bug reporting emailing and reading manual easier and faster.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Would it be possible to simply (oh how I love this word...) take the code that forms the help framework in the good old pre-Fremantle versions...
As far as I know, osso-help-ui was closed. I'm not sure if there were pieces of the OSSO Help Framework below the UI that were open.

Additionally, I've been told by developers that the OSSO Help file format was cryptic, barely documented, and difficult to work with. If the community is keen on developing a common help framework for interested Maemo developers to use, it might be best just to start anew with DocBook.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Wasn't the OSSO help system based on docbook, just like yelp on GNOME?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Solutions you have provided sound good, but I have little doubt that they might be too complex/hard to edit for some users. I do not know how they integrate with this maemo.org system.

How easily they can be edited when compared to maemo wiki? They sound really good, but if people are not really motivated to write manuals and it´s work that can be done only by few people who probably have better things to do then i think writing manuals should be made really easy eventhought it might come with cost of some other aspect. There is already some people asking what they can do for community and they have zero experience on coding and devel-testing might be to complex or risky for them so writing manuals could be really rewarding. Editing community provided default wiki template is on my scale quite easy.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Solutions you have provided sound good, but I have little doubt that they might be too complex/hard to edit for some users. (...)

(...) Editing community provided default wiki template is on my scale quite easy.
I agree with that, but that doesn't solve the "I'm off line and I don't know how to use this" problem. Therefore, I would like to propose a development of the wiki idea:

1) Make a Wiki repository that is very easy to edit, even for non developers. Do it with standard naming conventions for pages, titles, folders, etc).

2) Export desired parts of the Wiki as static, navigable, HTML pages and place that on a standard location on the N900 device. That way, if the user clicks on a help icon on the application, the local browser is fired on that page.

3) One can even create a Maemo application that searchs for installed packages and fetches all the related wiki pages to the device.

4) There could even be a link on the device itself that navigates to the maemo.org help wiki, in order for the user to fix, edit or add something.

Please, go to the first post and vote for the brainstorm and the solutions...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
I agree with that, but that doesn't solve the "I'm off line and I don't know how to use this" problem. Therefore, I would like to propose a development of the wiki idea:

1) Make a Wiki repository that is very easy to edit, even for non developers. Do it with standard naming conventions for pages, titles, folders, etc).

2) Export desired parts of the Wiki as static, navigable, HTML pages and place that on a standard location on the N900 device. That way, if the user clicks on a help icon on the application, the local browser is fired on that page.

3) One can even create a Maemo application that searchs for installed packages and fetches all the related wiki pages to the device.

4) There could even be a link on the device itself that navigates to the maemo.org help wiki, in order for the user to fix, edit or add something.

Please, go to the first post and vote for the brainstorm and the solutions...
Ahem...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34922

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Ahem...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34922
Yeah... I've added a link to this thread from the other, too. Maybe we can merge all efforts...

Let's try to rearrange the main ideas:

Summary of ideas:
  • Reusing previous maemo help framework and API;
  • Cloning the KDE help system;
  • Using a well structured help Wiki in maemo.org and adding some kind of mechanism for synchronization with the device, for off-line reading.

Goals:
  • It has to be easy to implement - minimum effort for existing applications and developers;
  • It has to be easy to use for consulting, for a regular user;
  • It has to be easy to use for contributing, for developers and end users who would like to help;
  • It has to provide an off-line mode for the device;
  • It has to provide an easy mechanism of importing existing documentation (html pages, man pages, and so on);

Issues:
  • Developers might not want to use it;
  • An existing application might already have a (different) help system;
  • Not many developers are good at or like to write documentation

Last edited by soeiro; 2010-01-09 at 18:54. Reason: typo detected

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Maybe you guys looking for something like this?
http://library.forum.nokia.com/

But yeah, I know ... Maemo is missing there.