I have spent almost all day trying to fix this, and I finally have, however there was no help on the net for this issue, until now.

Issue:
you can install Canola beta2 1.0.1 from their 1click install on their site. It will install all the way and then at the end say 'unable to install canola'. Yet you can still run it, it just never finds any media.

Solution:
I finally just went to the root shell(in xterm) and did a manual apt-get and found that avahi-daemon was not installing and screwed up the install for Canola because other components of Canola depended on it. So I google and found a ambiguous reference to the package avahi-daemon and this repository: http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/maemo/bora/

Instructions:
1) go to http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/maemo/bora/
2) download the .deb files for libcap1 and avahi-daemon
3) install either with `dpkg --install /path/to/DEBFILE.deb or by double clicking on them both, libcap1 first, then avahi-daemon
4) try to install Canola again, it should report no errors
*note: use the real path to the deb files, not the one in step 3, it's for demonstration
purposes only
*note2: i used the root shell/dpkg to install the deb files, i only assume the app
manager will work, too

Aftermath:
Canola now runs fine and i'm getting familiar with it. There are some issues with the app as a whole, but it is kinda neat. Maybe i'll code an open version of it and improve the UI a tad. I'm thinking python is the best choice for the n800

Phrases to help people find this thread:
Code:
Setting up avahi-daemon (0.6.20-2indt1) ...
chage: can't open shadow password fileStopped: `/usr/bin/chage -M 99999 avahi' returned error code 1. Exiting.
Code:
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
avahi-daemon
libdmapsharing1.0-0
libcanola-plugins-base1.0-plugin-model-shared
libcanola-plugins-base1.0-plugins
libgnomevfs2-dmapsharing1.0-0
canola-app
canola
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

PS - this is my first post, and probably not my last. My new lil' n800 is pretty sweet

Last edited by Brenden; 2007-08-16 at 18:08.

hi Brenden! trying to do what you are suggesting because i had the same darn problems once i thought Canola was properly installed....so, i got the 2 files you recommend and it just says "UNable to install. Incompatible application package"....how should i resolve this???

Thanx!

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Hey thanks. I will try this after work later.

jackass, how did you try to install them? Dpkg or the application manager?

I made a typo on the dpkg line, i will edit the post in a sec.

Are you a consumer,geek, power user, or all of the above? I ask so i know how technical i can be!

I tried installing them by clicking on the armel (9.0 KB) which then allowed me to open the file with application manager....then asked if i wanted to install, and that's when i got the unable to install message...i'm a consumer who's kind of a pc/mac geek but linux newbie....maybe i need to be in Root/Shell??...seems like App. Manager isn't workin?

Thanx for your patience with the newbies!

Interesting. I've been having the same problem with avahi from the maemo repository and resorted to using an older version from oakcourt repo, as per my mostly ignored thread:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ighlight=avahi

I'm not using canola at the moment though.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Jack, ya that's probably the key, I was root in the shell when I ran it, this might be difficult...you need to know where exactly you have saved the DEB files...the internal memory card is /media/mmc1 and external is /media/mmc2

Let me know where it is stored so I can give you the exact command to run. Do you know how to get root? I should make a step by step photo instruction book

Sorry this isn't super easy. If Canola would host the DEB files needed or maemo would fix their DEB files for avahi it'd be fine :/

--
fnordianslip, if it helps, your thread helped me out a lot when I found it it was not installing right. Without your thread I wouldn't have found the oakcourt repo Major props to you bud

Brenden, I figured out how to gain root access (ran a become root .deb and then did sudo gainroot)---hehehe not like i have a clue what i'm doin!...i have the files in my Kingston memory card (internal slot)...so i assume it's the /media/mmc1 directory.....i just need to know the exact syntax i should use
....i experimented with:
dpkg --install /media/mmc1/libcap1_1.10-15maemo0_armel.deb

....got an error message about bad filename or directory and something like can't access database cause in use--no idea on that one!

I'm lazy(and I do linux server administration, too lol) when it comes to commands and weird file names. I like to use wildcards...so what you got is the right syntax, but you may be missing a character, try this:

sudo dpkg --install /media/mmc1/libcap*.deb
sudo dpkg --install /media/mmc1/avahi*.deb

'sudo' is to make sure it's being done as root. That package you have to gain root might not kep it in the xterminal. FYI, to become root in xterm, I use 'sudo gainroot'. The default root password is 'rootme'.

Hope this gets it installed for you!

hmm...tried that and when i use 'sudo' out front, and press enter, there's no response message in the xterminal...i know i have root access...so, i'm wondering what the problem is...should i place the libcap and avahi in a different directory and try that??...

The Following User Says Thank You to jackass124 For This Useful Post: