Hi,

I'm really sorry for no answer, I just received my USB sockets today.
N900 which I bought was really lucky one. All solder pads are intact, this situation allows to make some very easy measurements and I found solder points as close to the USB socket as possible. Click miniature to make it bigger.

With that solution the only thing is waiting for pm's about N900 repairs

PS About transformer soldering iron - it's really good piece of hardware if you repair devices at customer house, like in the CRT TVs era. It's both heating up and cooling down very quickly. I was using similar one from polish company "Lutola" in my electronics school

Last edited by Trzyzet; 2020-05-27 at 17:16.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
It will take some time for me to take all the info out of the devices and reset them but then I would send you enough devices. Do you know how to use flux and heater to fix cellular problem? Some have that problem too. If not I will try to find a rewmover for the camera miodule and bake the boards.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
If not I will try to find a rewmover for the camera miodule and bake the boards.
Please do not bake the boards. Heat only local, protect the rest by a heat shield. If airflow is to strong glue the chip at two corners to the board.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
The problem is, there is 3 ICs which can cause this problem and I don't know which one should be reflowed. I remember @peterleinchen had similar issue so if he wants to do some experiments on his unit, I can try to fix his phone and give full solution. Also I found one more problem on N900 boards which causing much faster battery drain and I'm waiting for the replacement components to make another guide.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
My N900 is working perfectly for the time being, knock on wood.
But thanks anyhow!

I'm sure Maemish has some work for you though

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
I'm on my last good one and with serious charging issues... As soon as I get back home after the lockdown I'll have a look but it could perfectly be two of my oldies can benefit from this...

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Trzyzet View Post
Also I found one more problem on N900 boards which causing much faster battery drain and I'm waiting for the replacement components to make another guide.
Oops, this one will be covered soon

I received the package with some boards but before, I needed to push two more important jobs

First one was a TV from the living room, I just wanted to check if the caps or LED backlight died because new one is already on the wall. Of course one of the backlight LEDs died so TV can be thrashed.
Second thing was my headphones. Damn, Fostex made its plastics so cheap the MK3 rp line can't survive even fall on the floor. I remember with MK2s I was able to play in the football when the headphones was the ball

Let's do some work!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Ah, lovely evening for fixing some N900

Already fixed that one board which was inside of the casing. All the USB pads was fine so there was not a problem.

Now let's talk about the excesive battery draining.

In most of the boards capacitor which holds the time and date setting looks exactly like this. The problem is it has liquid inside, and its very similar to the alkaline batteries so when this cap is corroded it creates short-circuit and can reduce battery times even for 40%!!

I don't have exact value of that one, because in N900 sits 0.1F, I have only 0.2F, diameter twice as big. But I also have some nice hacks for that

Fits perfectly Next update should be at Sundays evening.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
It seems I sent them to the right person.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Was it that you do not know how to fix cellular connection problem? I remembered so and did not sent some devices which have working usb but no cellular. And there are some which are locked and I have never tried to decrypt the lock code. After usb fix they can be flashed but that wont change the code. Hopefully someone in Finland or some other country can can help with that. If there is a volunteer you could then send the locked boards straight to him and after decryption he could send them to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
board, community, repair, usb socket