Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If you're VERY HAPPY with your N800, i think you should just buy another one until you come across another device that you think would make you even happier.

No point to try too hard to find ways to be less happy

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
@ CyberCowboy

Keyboard not so important ?
In another thread here N810s for sale around $100 have been mentioned.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28809&page=5

The keyboard takes a bit of getting used to, but it has a fairly good tactile feedback.
The keys are not flat as some say, but slightly convex. After some time you do feel the middle of the keys.

If your thumb-tips aren't too insensitive you might come to love the N810 keyboard.
If not, you get a cheap replacement until the N900 shows up and gives you a wider field for your upgrade choice.

You could always use an N810 with card adaptors to make the micro-SDs into full size SDs, though if you can't control the size of the SD cards (i.e. they belong to someone else, you already own them and don't want to replace) then that's probably not an option. I should add that I doubt very much that the n900 will accept full size SD cards, simply because of the reported dimensions of the device and the fact the slots won't fit (IMO).

What about the Smart Q5, same sort of size as the N800, and afaik it takes full size SD cards? Plus it's pretty cheap!

Last edited by lardman; 2009-08-04 at 08:16. Reason: added comment about cheapness :)

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
My n800 started showing vertical bars on the display while on holiday about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't find another n800 and went for a refurbished n810, which I've just got mostly back to the way the n800 was - booting off the internal 2gb memory card with my favorite software and some etexts installed. Still waiting for a 16gb card for music and videos, so will have 2+16 instead of 16+16 as before. In truth the majority of that was on videos that I worked through while exercising, so I expect this will just reduce the time loading up more video to watch.

So, having just gone through this exercise, my advice would be to look for a 'nearly new' n800. On its own the n810 is probably an improvement, but having invested in the n800 setup and accessories I'd rather have everything back the way it was. An older/used n800 may be on its way to display failure as well, and the n900 will cost a bit more. Would be nice if the replacement displays were a bit cheaper...

rob.

Power saving is significantly better on the N810, just as a thought

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I bought an N810 as a back-up from a member at a very reasonable price. I have had an N800 since it's first day of availability after CES in '07. I still use it everyday. I have 3 8GB SD cards for it and was concerned with the N810's limited "mini" card. I needed about 16GB of storage for the N810 to be useful for me.

I then found that a 16GB "micro" SD that can run in a "mini" SD adapter can be had for about $50.

I'm a happy camper.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If you're VERY HAPPY with your N800, i think you should just buy another one until you come across another device that you think would make you even happier.

No point to try too hard to find ways to be less happy

I took your advice and got another new in box N800 off e-bay for $150 shipped. I'm a happy camper. now my old "drunk" one will become a charging station for the extra battery