I know it sounds crazy but I ordered one from nokia early in Nov
but after waiting a couple of weeks concelled my order..but kept
comming to this site hopefully with good news on maybe some new
release info..and came across the info about compusa possiby carry them
and from there contacted various warehouse managers whom kept me in
the loop...They do have a promotional ad droping Sun..so if you tired of waiting
for nokia you will have another option Compusa

I checked CompUSA in Richmond... they looked at me like I had two heads, then told me they don't sell a single thing with linux (I was tempted to look around... perhaps near the FARKING MACS (ok, BSD)), how linux is not popular enough since "only like 2% of people use it" but the next release is supposed to be good... then he asked if it was perhaps running CE, and I was sure it wasn't a phone?

omg. i can't wait until they have a display so i can lead him to it by his labbrette and rub his face in it like a bad dog. I mean, when someone comes in and lists of the manufacturer and model number and isn't interested in anything else... maybe you should not trash that "linux" that it runs!

Sorry, had to get that out. None in richmond yet, sad to say.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ St.Louis
I keep telling myself I can wait for Nokia...I can, I can, but you guys aren't helping me much.
That 50 bucks I'll save will be much better spent on a couple of new games for my PSP

Went into CompUSA in Cincinnati, OH(Tri-County), ask the person in the phone section if they had the 770, he said they just received a shipment of something from Nokia on Friday. Lo and behold in my hand at home is the 770. They did not promote, because the person in the store had no idea what it was. Online now cancelled, I ordered on the 14th, hope someone else moves up.

It's pretty obvious that they blew off online orders for the retailers, bad practice.

I got the last one at my Local Compusa, since I wanted it before Christmas. The sales guy was a bit odd - he kept trying to get me to spend $65 on a protection plan in case I dropped it and said that this was 'new technology' from Nokia. I had to say no about 5 times. Spifs are fun, but annoying to customers.

Anyway, the box was in the back of the store somewhere and it took him a while to track down - and was a bit beat up - and he took great pains to point out to me that it was factory sealed with a sticker (actually two). I felt compelled to check it out in the car before leaving the parking lot and found that all the pieces were in it, but jumbled around, and the 'sealed' sticker easily came on and off. The screen of the unit itself had dust on it, which has never been true of any other 'factory sealed' device I've purchased.

The plan seems clear - sell only through CompUSA until Jan6th, then ship online orders. CompUSA's post-xmas return date is Jan 7th, which aligns nicely with the online ship date (if you're CompUSA).

I picked one up at CompUSA in Charlotte yesterday. I cancelled my online order from Nov. 14. If I didn't want this thing so bad, I'd tell Nokia where they could stick it. I will take all the trouble in getting a 770 into consideration the next time I decide to buy a cell phone.

I actually had a hard time getting a 770 at CUSA. I looked all over the store and finally found it behind a counter where they display phones, PDAs, portable DVD players and cameras. It was locked up in a case and it looked like that had 2 units. It took me about 30 minutes to get it (even after I found it), because the guy behind the counter was helping someone trying to decide on the "best digital camera." When he finally got to me, I pointed out what I wanted and then he tried to sell me phone service to go on the 770. I told the guy it wasn't a phone and that it was a tablet computer. He asked me if it ran Windows XP. So much for educating the sales staff.

I'm happy that I finally got it, but I will say that I see this thing selling for under $300 in the very near future. I figure after Christmas you'll start seeing it with a $50 Nokia mail-in-rebate and maybe a $50 store mail-in-rebate (getting the price around $250).

One other thing...as stated in a previous post, the box had been opened before I got it. I opened it in my car, because it was actually rattling around a lot. I noticed that there were 2 stickers sealing the box. The battery was outside the sealed plastic bag that was supposed to be in; floating around the box along with the memory and stylus. There was a lot of dust on the power adapter and on the unit itself. I've never seen dust on a sealed product before. There was also a fingerprint on the screen and the back of the case (black part of the 770 not the silver cover) had a few scrapes on it. I also noticed something very strange about the little pouch that comes with the unit. It appeared that where the corners of the unit touched the pouch that it had actually rubbed holes through the bag. I have no idea how this could happen. The unit was in perfect working order with one stuck pixel and the latest OS update. No big deal, but really odd.

I hope that everyone that ordered from Nokia gets theirs by Christmas, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Cheers

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by Frumious
The sales guy was a bit odd - he kept trying to get me to spend $65 on a protection plan in case I dropped it and said that this was 'new technology' from Nokia. I had to say no about 5 times. Spifs are fun, but annoying to customers.
Mine too. My girlfriend suggested it was how the sales people made commission (since I watched people buying the TAP and then telling the clerk their initials - it was obvious something was being tracked).

Originally Posted by bradb
Mine too. My girlfriend suggested it was how the sales people made commission (since I watched people buying the TAP and then telling the clerk their initials - it was obvious something was being tracked).
Well, there is one nice thing about CompUSA's TAP plans. They are replacement plans, not standard extended warranty plans. Meaning, that if something is wrong with the unit, they replace it. Oh, and you don't have to get the same exact model. You get an in-store credit that has to be used the same day.

I've had TAPs on every iPod since the first gen. Due to battery problems that persist with every generation and one HDD failure, I've used the TAP multiple times. Each time, I wound up getting the latest generation unit. The first time it was just by chance that the new ones were out when the battery was giving me only a couple of hours of use. After finding out how the TAPs worked that time around, I waitied to use the TAP until new models were out when the battery life issues popped up again. Well worth it in my opinion.

Jeff