Active Topics

I'm going to start riding the bus next week. Yes it's almost two additional hours doing so (one hour extra each way), but the gas savings will be tremendous.

I have a Nokia N800, and am thinking that would be useful for playing my anime and captured TV shows. But I can't seem to find anything (yes, I have googled) that says what is the best format to convert to for playback on an N800. Am also trying to see how much I can fit into the two gig card I have for it, so compression with decent quality is "better" than full quality

Anyone out there doing this who has some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by EwanG View Post
I'm going to start riding the bus next week. Yes it's almost two additional hours doing so (one hour extra each way), but the gas savings will be tremendous.

I have a Nokia N800, and am thinking that would be useful for playing my anime and captured TV shows. But I can't seem to find anything (yes, I have googled) that says what is the best format to convert to for playback on an N800. Am also trying to see how much I can fit into the two gig card I have for it, so compression with decent quality is "better" than full quality

Anyone out there doing this who has some recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Just use this (http://xoomer.alice.it/sepaolo/n800vc/), preferrably with mplayer.

FYI, I can fit an entire season of Battlestar Galactica, plus 3-4 "regular" movies on a 4GB card. Mind you, I'm not really going for the best possible quality.

This looks ok, but it seems to want to crop the video. A bit of a problem when the source video has much needed subtitles. Is there a way to convince it not to do so?

Also, does it HAVE to have mplayer, or will it work with the built-in Media Player?

Thanks again,
Ewan

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by EwanG View Post
This looks ok, but it seems to want to crop the video. A bit of a problem when the source video has much needed subtitles. Is there a way to convince it not to do so?

There is a cropping option.

Also, does it HAVE to have mplayer, or will it work with the built-in Media Player?

Dunno. It's been a really really long time since I used Media Player; I have been diagnosed with a low suckiness tolerance.

Thanks again,
Ewan

so many options!
i find xvid 480x272 at around 400kbps to be the best option. audio should be mp3 (96kps is fine)

example options to ffmpeg

television (interlaced source)

ffmpeg -threads 2 -y -i <input file> -async 1 -deinterlace -s 480x272 -vcodec libxvid -qscale 4 -vtag DX50 -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 96000 -f avi "output.avi"

if you are unfamiliar with using windows command line then see http://winmenc.blogspot.com/ and follow the installation instructions on the homepage (you don't need to do the additional 'mp4' steps to make working n800 videos). this is a great frontend for the equally great mencoder package.

or dvd/other source remove the 'deinterlace'

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by alexjlee View Post
so many options!
i find xvid 480x272 at around 400kbps to be the best option. audio should be mp3 (96kps is fine)
Bad plan, DO NOT exceed 400x240 pixels, otherwise you're not getting the benefits of the super-fast pixel doubling calculations. If filesize were no object, then 1250-1500Kbps MPEG4 at no more than 400x240 (320x240 for 4:3 400x225 for 16:9, etc.) and 24-30fps (stick with the source fps) with MP3 audio running 128Kbps (audio must be MP3 to take advantage of the DSP).

Since filesize is an object, stay in the 500-800Kbps range. Though, really, I'd recommend using some of that gas money to pick up an 8GB card or two. Anything below 800Kbps tends to go way artifacty for me in any scenes with a moderate amount of movement.

While we're on the subject, is the opportunity cost of wasting two hours a day really worth the gas savings? :\

If the file already has mp3 audio, I use this mencoder command:
mencoder $1 -o ${1/.avi/_n800.avi} -srate 44100 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=400 -vf-add crop=595:352 -vf-add scale=352:208 -ofps 23.976 -ffourcc DIVX -noidx -force-avi-aspect 1.69230769230769 2>>/dev/null

Maybe we should wait untill the Chinook is out. From what I have heard h.264 video workd flawlessly.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
For converting my anime, I use
Code:
mencoder "$1" -o /dev/null -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:vrc_buf_size=576:vrc_maxrate=1536:vbitrate=768:vpass=1:turbo -idx -vf dsize=560:336:0:16,scale=0:0 -ffourcc DIVX -slang eng -subfont-text-scale 3
mencoder "$1" -o "$2" -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=160 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:vrc_buf_size=576:vrc_maxrate=1536:vbitrate=768:vpass=2 -idx -vf dsize=560:336:0:16,scale=0:0 -ffourcc DIVX -alang jpn -slang eng -subfont-text-scale 3
commands. It gives me pretty good quality, and atleast content up to 25 fps plays perfectly smoothly with mplayer on the N800.