Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I hav few questions, to better understand how the Android stuff works on Jolla.

1. I have usually WhatsApp, Skype and Viber running in one window. I have not done any major testing, but It seems to me that not all of them are online simultaniously. Only the one that is on the front is actually active. Am I correct?

2. I have also installed Google Play Store and Google Services. While not having any adroid apps open somehow I still receive update notifications for the programs and games I have installed. For example Ice Age game and also there has been notification to upgrade Google Hangouts (I do not actually have Google Hangouts installed, I only use Sailfish native Google chat). So it seems that some Android stuff is still running all the time on the background?

3. Once it has happened that I had Spotify playing songs. Then something crashed and it dissapeared from the apps screen. However. songs kept playing. Only way to stop songs, was to start just another android app and to terminate it with swipe from top to bottom.

4. And what is the easyest way to kill one android app from running and keep other 3 running?

5. Where to download flash plugin for android Firefox and how to install it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Silwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
4. And what is the easyest way to kill one android app from running and keep other 3 running?
You can do this in the Android task switcher (the right one of the two Android buttons on the bottom of the screen). Drag an app to the left or right to close it, just as on any other Android 4 device.

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
The following are based on my own observations and what I have read. I no nothing about the actual processes running, so someone with better knowledge should elaborate this more.

1. I think you are not correct. For example, if I run whatsapp and PiVo (finnish bank service program) both of them seem to run in the background on active state. What you should remember about the android layer on Jolla, is that it seems to totally emulate android programs to think that they are running in android powered phone. This means, that for example, if you are wondering why you do not receive notifications from whatsapp when your phone is locked, the reason might be that you left it as active (it is the program that can be seen as the "android cover" in multitasking. This way the Whatsapp program thinks that it is the selected program in your android and thus there is no need to sent any notification as you are currently watching it. It is running in emulator so it can't recognize that in Sailfish environment it is actually in the background. I personally have solved this behavior by installing an Launcher (GO Launcher) and now every time before I swipe away from an android program I make sure that I before have switched to the launcher. I also always use the launcher to launch android programs. This way, I have had no problems ever in receiving notifications.

Unfortunately I don't use other messaging programs from android side besides whatsapp so can't be sure if this method works with several IM's running simultaneously.

2. Yes, the Android layer is always an active and running in the background. Im not sure that programs are though.

3. Can't say anything to this.

4. Pycage already answered

5. I saw an answer to this somewhere, but forgot where. Have to take look at this tomorrow again.

Hope these help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks! I just never used any Android devices before...

Now, one more question - I have three android apps open. On one of them I push android "Back" button and it closes. Also cover where my android apps are working closes. If I open now again one more android app then from the android "task switcher screen" I find these two apps that I did not close before. Did these apps kept on running while the android app cover was closed?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Probably something like this, whatever "running" means in Android terms. They likely got suspended and kept in RAM. Or they were closed but kept listed in the task switcher (which more or less is something like the app history and not really a list of all open apps; it's a hybrid of a task switcher and a history view on Android). Unless you don't have an app running on screen in front of you, you can never be sure if it's still running on Android.
If the app restarts when you open it on the task switcher, it probably wasn't running anymore.

Thanks!

Now I installed Go Launcher as Boxeri suggested and things got bit more clear for me. From there I can see what is working and what is not.

*it has been a bit difficult start for me after using only N8 and N9 Nokias...

Last edited by Silwer; 2013-12-22 at 20:47.