Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
iphone 4 ......i cant even think of buying iphone after buying n900 doesnt even attract me,but would have bought HD2 if it had keyboard but it doesnt

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Whether you buy and android, iPhone or Windows-based device you have a certain expectation of support - e.g. Owners of 3rd-gen iPhones have updated to the latest OS. I know a Blackberry owner who has updated his aging device to the latest OS too.
what about galaxy s? afaik apple is the only company having pretty clean track record for supporting their devices for years.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-2-3...ties-09118521/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i payed for a phone. i got a phone. nothing changed.
nobody payed for any kind of service.
No. No, no, no.

That would be just fine for a 5$ phone from the dealer in the corner. I paid for a mini computer, with an ARM, actual RAM, actual storage and actual OS. And I chose Nokia's solution for OS because it was my understanding it would be open, so finally, FINALLY, I would not depend on Nokia to fix anything.

While I got what the paper said in regards to hardware and hardware support, I got shafted software-wise.

Really, all the advantages of Linux are gone from my point of view. All important bugs are in closed source and few have been fixed. I did inherit, however, the app base from Linux.

I'm thinking at this point I have the worst of all worlds. The openness of Windows, the release cycle from Apple and the polished look and app base of Linux.

I hate to say this, but really, look at the numbers. Worst app base. Look at the release dates and annoyments. As for look, well, peer over at iStuff. I hate it but man, it looks good. I know about resolution but really, now, it's not an insurmountable obsticle, just do animation at a lower resolution. Double-draw pixels while animating. It's not like I'm watching font clarity while the window swoops. VSync, too, could help.

I know this is step 4. That doesn't excuse anything but lack of features. How does any of it excuse monolythic updates, closed critical software, poor software support, lack of options and flat out refusal to implement needed features that are easy to do? (custom names for numbers, lock on call, custom ring screens)

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
I just bought my n900 two weeks ago. And I did it on purpose knowing that the support from Nokia will be very low or stop in near future. So, why did I buy it? I didn't want to have a phone that connects to the internet without my approval and I didn't want to be locked in by a manufacturer either. So far the biggest letdown of the n900 is the missing support for linux of the Nokia suite. But in general I am happy - especially with the photography part - while ignoring the telephone functionaliy.

However, I can perfectly understand everybody who's moving to another platform. Seen from my side of the fence, Nokia's policies might follow a certain strategy, but the tactical execution leaves unanswered quite some questions. But as I also joined the n8x0 party rather late, I am used to a cleared buffet. Which means the music and the dancing will start soon.

icke

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by heartbreakdoctor View Post
y not bother nokia with continue supporting n900 n get us flash 10 n newest ovi maps we deserve that i just send them two mails now lets all send them our complains again n again till they respond to us we cants just give up we r maemos n n900 holders one of best mobile in world we deserve best
Hey, you dropped these: . . , . . , , .

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Wait....
Nokia supported this phone? When? :O

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
If this is true, and I have not seen confirmation from Nokia that it is, then what bothers me is not that they cease support at whatever point they choose, but the apparant "unfairness" compared with the length of time symbian phones get updates.

for example the 5800 has just received another update, and that phone is at least 2 years old now.

I appeciate the Maemo market is nowhere near as large as the symbian market, but a bit more visible commitment, or even communication would be nice.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaimex2 View Post
Wait....
Nokia supported this phone? When? :O
https://bugs.maemo.org/buglist.cgi?r...tatus=RESOLVED
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, this part is sad when it comes to the closed sources. The community cannot do much to fix any bugs in those. I don't think this is particularly ethical by Nokia and like some guy said earlier here, the period for which this smartphone was supported has been way too short.
It's a little about trust also, why should I trust that Nokia provides better support for the N9 than they did for the N900 when it will arrives? There's really no reason why anyone should trust their support any longer. And don't give me the crap "oh, I'm sure they'll support MeeGo for a long time since that's where Nokia bets their future" because you really cannot know that. MeeGo is still a venture and even if it's very promising we have no guarantees that Nokia will be better in the support for their devices than they have been. I will stick with the N900 for quite a while, but I will be very careful before jumping on the MeeGo / N9 train.

And another thing, I really don't like when I read people in here claiming stuff like "well, you never paid anything for support and there was nothing said that you should expect such".
That is just baloney because when a company sells a smartphone today they are only on the competitive edge if they keep their customers satisfied with their products and that doesn't just mean that their units are sold "as is". You have to look at a bigger picture here, all electronic equipment has bugs and various faults today since embedded devices and projects are far more complex and expensive. Satisfactory quality is only gained by providing fixes and helping the customers in the best way they can and for as long as necessary. This I'm sad to say Nokia is not alone to fail with, but they are for sure far from the better ones (In my opinion, of course).

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-12-09 at 15:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
It's a little about trust also, why should I trust that Nokia provides better and support for the N900 than the did for the N810 when it arrives? There's really no reason why anyone should trust their support any longer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest