Happy new year everyone! This is my first post and had something terrible happen with the Nokia N900 phone.

Firstly I tried to resolve disappearing conversations and SMS text messages by following instructions from here (which i regretted since i created this problem):

http://www.parorrey.com/blog/technol...on-nokia-n900/

I tried this to delete the corrupted event database:

sudo gainroot
rm -rf /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db
killall rtcom-messaging-ui

Then i saw that may of my icons on the GUI were moved around. I restarted and then started getting boxes instead of text and "missing image" icons. Seemed the entire GUI was transformed into boxes. I tried to enable bluetooth (by figuring out which box icon was the bluetooth icon but when I did the phone made a buzzing noise and restarted.

My USB does not work so I tried to access the Nokia N900 via PC Suite via bluetooth but the device was not found (i have windows 7, 64bit).

All I want to do is save all my data (pics, address book, notes). However I can not access anything and the entire phone is dominated by boxes. When you try to press buttons the phone restarts.

Not sure what to do. How can I access the hard drive so I can save my data and obviously how do i reverse the phone to its previous state? I have not seen the problem anywhere so wondering if anyone can help?

Here are screenshots:

1) Enter PIN
2) Put in time/date
3) GUI
4) Pre-Bluetooth Screen
5) Enable Bluetooth screen

My USB X3 snapped off so I do not have USB (but i ordered part via Ebay). I have been using Bluetooth to move files around. However now I can not use Bluetooth (even though I enabled it miraculously) since PC Suite can not locate the device (is it because of Windows 7? is worked previously for me).

What is wrong with the phone and what can i do? Please help!
Attached Images

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Looks like missing themes to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Looks like missing themes to me.
My first thought too.

Have you been tinkering with the /home/user/share/ folder recently? You might be lucky enough to be able to replace the themes folder directly from the maemo image, without the need of a reflash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
or even apt-get install hildon-theme-alpha
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
My first thought too.

Have you been tinkering with the /home/user/share/ folder recently? You might be lucky enough to be able to replace the themes folder directly from the maemo image, without the need of a reflash.
No I have not. At this point I do not even know how to reflash in its current stage since the bluetooth does not seem to be working. I do not mind erasing everything at this point. I just want to get the phone back so I can actually see the text or images.

It seems to crash everytime I try to open an application. I do not know what the applications are either. They are just represented by boxes. It is similar to when you open a Word document in a dofferent language and you do not half the language installed. it gives you gibberish.

The Following User Says Thank You to costa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
or even apt-get install hildon-theme-alpha

How would i use the x-terminal when I can not even access the icon? I have no idea what icon it is (because all i see is gibberish boxes) and even if i did know and I click on it the phone just shuts down.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I think you rm -rf'd more than the SMS database.

I suggest putting a Backupmenu rootfs amd emmc on a SD card, using Ctrl Shift X to open an XTerminal, installing Backuomenu and restoring from SDCard.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
I think you rm -rf'd more than the SMS database.

I suggest putting a Backupmenu rootfs amd emmc on a SD card, using Ctrl Shift X to open an XTerminal, installing Backuomenu and restoring from SDCard.
Hurrian,

I pressed CTRL SHIFT X to open XTerminal and then the screen flashes white a few times (I am assuming it tried to open the terminal and something shut the phone down and restarts it). Then you hear a beep noise and the phone shuts down and restarts. Basically any action i make seems to create the beep noise and the phone to shut down. I can not even see any text, let alone open an application. I am clueless what to do.

I cant access anything and everything looks like gibberish and when i click around the phone beeps and shuts down and restarts.

Last edited by costa; 2013-01-09 at 04:50.

Maybe I should just buy a new phone and drop Nokia altogether. Been days and no solution.

I'd be just as clueless as you as to what to do here. Have you tried connecting to a PC.
Just wondering if it may be possible to re-flash using PCSuite.
That was the way Nokia intended us to flash/update the firmware of the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post: