Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Well, HTML5 is a technology. It has some purposes, of course, such as... WEB. Like a Flash replacement.
But for desktop, it's like trying to hammer nails with a microscope (instead of a hammer). I can't understand what the use for that is.
It even fails as a Flash replacement. HTML5 video gracefully fails to Flash. It doesn't do queries to build navigation. Sites that have moved to HTML5 + Audio are exposing their files due to lack of security - Pandora HTML5 version exposes the *.m4a files for easy download.

Not all browsers support Canvas - blame the software engineers for that and it's not exactly fully supported in all areas quite yet. I deploy Flash, it'll work everywhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It even fails as a Flash replacement. HTML5 video gracefully fails to Flash. It doesn't do queries to build navigation. Sites that have moved to HTML5 + Audio are exposing their files due to lack of security - Pandora HTML5 version exposes the *.m4a files for easy download.

Not all browsers support Canvas - blame the software engineers for that and it's not exactly fully supported in all areas quite yet. I deploy Flash, it'll work everywhere.
Well in my own opinion

Adobe flash = years of existence

HTML5 = newly born

Give the engine a chance... It hasn't been exposed enough as of yet compared to flash and it's not also abandoned.

Flash also has flaws I could almost 90% videos in the net using IDM lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I have been telling everyone long enough now about meego being useless and everyone calls me stupid because of my opinions.

You die hards all dreaming of FOSS have to see something dead and buried before you believe????.

Maemo is dead and now meego is dead so just what are you all going to go too next i wonder.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Well in my own opinion

Adobe flash = years of existence

HTML5 = newly born

Give the engine a chance... It hasn't been exposed enough as of yet compared to flash and it's not also abandoned.

Flash also has flaws I could almost 90% videos in the net using IDM lol
Flash didn't start out with a scripting language. In fact, Flash wasn't supposed to do more than vectors until quite a bit later. It would do bitmaps, but they would bloat your *.swf to some ungodly size back when folks only had dialup.

PHP communication and inquiries, as well as embedded SQLite and AIR and ActionScript 3 and H.264 or cachedBitmap and StageVideo and Stage3D came much later... and I'm just getting started.

Flash in the very beginning was very basic. The stuff I do now with it or Adobe Flex, I didn't think I could have done just 4 years ago.

The growth of HTML5 is needed in so many key areas that already exist in many other programming languages. Security and ability to dole out media in a more secure way without having to handcuff itself to restrictive DRM or any other RIAA tactic that will invariably limit how it grows from those with very little technical know-how is going to be the next hurdle.

But as it stands, until I can build a dynamic interface with it that works not only in Chrome and Safari but also IE7/8/9 and Firefox and have it secure my data and assets, HTML5 is still on my list of abilities, but it's not fit for everything.

Having JavaScript do all of the animation(s) and not do it via Canvas != HTML5 either. Most of the best HTML5 demos are even better jQuery demos honestly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Given that Adobe only recently managed to deliver Flash on x64 platforms (I will NOT call the "Square" lab test version a release) with v11, and this is what basically held x64 browser builds especially on Windows back all those years, it should die nevertheless. On Linux you had at least some basic alternatives, but on Windows you were phucked big time by Adobe.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
@Radu, Thanks for starting a thread with a title that actually alerted me to what was happening!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The migration (or "Trail of Tears") from Maemo to Meego to Tizen reminds me of the Roman governer out in the provinces who boasted, "Whenever Rome demands action, I just start a general reorganization and never have to do anything."

Personally, I recently got a Chinese watch phone, and am having fun with it. And I'm going to buy at least one of the new Kindles. Some days I almost forget to use my N900. I would have been tempted by the N9 if it was available at a reasonable price. Too bad Nokia doesn't have the Amazon instinct, we'd have widespread availablity of a MeeGo phone at a slashed price!

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
who cares about meego. get an iphone. it works

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
who cares about meego. get an iphone. it works
Now I truly assume that you and eTroll_uke are the same person. Shizo. Didn't you want to have an N9 shipped to the US in the "other" thread?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Now I truly assume that you and eTroll_uke are the same person. Shizo. Didn't you want to have an N9 shipped to the US in the "other" thread?
Of course I do. N9 is what an iphone should have been

Tags
goodbye nokia, html != c/c++, meego is dead