Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Would anyone be interested in helping me out by buying off my european developer discount code?
You save money, i get a device too...

I'm considering my options but i think i have to resort to this to make it more practical for me if i'm ever to get this device and develop on it...

So here is the story:

Like many canadians who participated in the developer program and got accepted, i had to choose another country and since i have family in France i chose France. But then realised that a) i'm gonna get an azerty keyboard but worst b) I'm probably just going to get channels 10-13 for wi-fi as France has used the other channels for militaries (leaving me with only 10-11 working back home). And I got confirmation that I can't change the code to be a US one where i would have had a contact too...

This code will work in other countries in europe with participating shops like the UK one where you'll be able to get a qwerty with the normal 1-13 wifi channels. Problem is, nokia.co.uk requires a credit card in the country and ship to that CC's address... And since i don't know anybody there, my only bet is to sacrifice channels 12 and 13 by selling my code to someone who was going to buy it anyway and use that cash to buy it back in Canada.

Does that make sens or am i confusing? :-)
Anyone from europe would be interested to save a bit and help a fellow developer?

It's supposed to cost 99E with that code and i see it on sale for 499E on the nokia.fr shop.
So a bid bellow 350E would make sens.

EDIT: let's say 295 Euro (435 CAD), less won't make sense for me if I need to buy another one here.

Last edited by R-R; 2007-12-10 at 17:27.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I'd check the online store to see if you can get a qwerty keyboard: since the store is managed by the same company for all of europe (except the uk) maybe you can order the model for another country on the french site.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
You can't get a different keyboard than the one of the country on the web shop and I did not see the N810 on the uk shop. I posted a message on the other thread stating that channels 1-13 can be used in France, and I will also say that the French version of the N800 can use all 13 channels, so only the keyboard will be different.

Last but not least, the N810 is not at the same price in all European countries. It is €459 on the German shop and even cheaper in Spain, so is the discount the same in all countries?

If you don't mind a qwertz keyboard, I can order it from you at the German shop and ship it to you at cost. I figure that, as a end user, I am profiting from developers and I should do something to help them back when I can...

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
You can't get a different keyboard than the one of the country on the web shop and I did not see the N810 on the uk shop. I posted a message on the other thread stating that channels 1-13 can be used in France, and I will also say that the French version of the N800 can use all 13 channels, so only the keyboard will be different.

Last but not least, the N810 is not at the same price in all European countries. It is €459 on the German shop and even cheaper in Spain, so is the discount the same in all countries?

If you don't mind a qwertz keyboard, I can order it from you at the German shop and ship it to you at cost. I figure that, as a end user, I am profiting from developers and I should do something to help them back when I can...
Thanks for the answer, yeah just realised that the price actually varies a lot from shop to shop and even e-tailers (which usually are more competitive...).

So 1-13 channels are activated eh? That's at least a partial good news! In the worst case, considering it's not a full sized keyboard, i could live with azerty (which is going to be 2*3 keys flipped) but i'd rather not. Do you know the specifics of the channels 10-13 only emitting at 10mW ? Is this a worldwide law or just europe? I think north america has a very heavy emission power while the rest of the world is more restricted... But not sure!

EDIT: Ah thanks for the answer in the other theads, that confirms it. Now i must check if 10-13 is 10mW here too... i'm guessing that it's not though.

EDIT2: http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/rss210e.pdf/$FILE/rss210e.pdf
From that file it seems that max output power is at 125mW across the 11 channels.
And actually from http://www.comsoc.org/vancouver/srwc/Tam.pdf it seems a part of the law was removed and you can go up to 1W...

Thanks for the qwertz offer but for all the hassle this is going to create i might as well get an azerty and deal with family for what it's worth :-)

Cheers!

Last edited by R-R; 2007-12-09 at 16:22.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I'm in the uk if you need someone to help out.

Let me know.

http://flors.wordpress.com/2007/12/1...ors-next-week/

Good news, Canadians have been saved
Well, looks like i'm not selling it anymore!