Active Topics

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Made a mistake on the n900, I have decided I need a phone, not a mobile Linux box. Am going to buy a HTC desire.

I thought I would enjoy the hacking side of it but to be honest I just don't use any of the cool stuff I would have a couple of years ago. Installed aircrack, nmap and a couple of other apps but never used them.

I was very disappointed in the MeeGo announcement 2 or 3 weeks after I bought it too. I am sick of waiting for PR 1.2 and God knows when Vodafone here in UK will release it even if it is published. I stupidly thought that since there is a lot of open source going on the phone would be updated all the time.

I will keep on monitoring the progress of MeeGo, let’s hope in a year or so it will be ready for prime time (phone wise).

Keep up the good work guys, the world needs the innovation you guys are bringing to the table. It’s just not for me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to openfone For This Useful Post:
...which runs on, linux

Im not sure why people need to say they are getting rid of the N900 and switching elsewhere.

It's like supporting a football team and deciding to support another as they may not be doing well. Then going a match of who you first supported and shouting that you no longer support them because of X and Y reason, waiting to get beat up by the hooligans! A little pointless, but enjoy your new phone.

At least you say bye in a nice manour, unlike some people!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by openfone View Post
I stupidly thought that since there is a lot of open source going on the phone would be updated all the time.
And You also stupidly thought that Android will be updated more often but you will soon see that the Android release window is now much longer.

I posted this for a few reasons:

1. To vent
2. Maybe Nokia will see this and add 1 more to the list

jflatt: I know Andriod runs on Linux but at least it has a crap load of apps and is designed to be a phone.

ear0wax: I know android will not be updated as often. new apps will certainly come out more often!

Originally Posted by openfone View Post
I was very disappointed in the MeeGo announcement 2 or 3 weeks after I bought it too. I am sick of waiting for PR 1.2 and God knows when Vodafone here in UK will release it even if it is published. I stupidly thought that since there is a lot of open source going on the phone would be updated all the time.
Not trying to talk you out of it -- if it's not for you, it's not for you -- but I'm pretty sure whenever PR1.2 drops, you'll get it. If vodafone (or anyone else) were bastardizing the default repos to control OTA updates, I'd have thought there'd be a bit of noise about it...

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I hope you do realize that the N900 is capable of booting Android.....

Originally Posted by m165 View Post
Im not sure why people need to say they are getting rid of the N900 and switching elsewhere.
I agree..why don't people just leave quietly instead of making a big deal about it.

No hw keyboard.

My wife has an HTC Tattoo, which is fine except for the lack of a hw keyboard (which drives both of us mad). This is no doubt exacerbated by the smaller screen on the Tattoo, but I wouldn't touch a phone without a keyboard.

Tags
bye bye black berty, fanboys gallery, fanboys galore, trolls go down better, __n gone